MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

No surprises that Whateley sees the baseline of a 3 week suspension as clear cut (rating the impact as severe) and a strong possibility of the AFL increasing the penalty further to set an example.

'From where we left off last year I’d say the Powell Pepper bump is a straight up and down three week ban.

But if the AFL has a mind to increase the deterrent it will seek four weeks in this case and establish a greater penalty.

I feel as though you, the constituency, as ready for this type of suspension to rise.

It’s one of those incidents in which the AFL will get whatever penalty it seeks so we’ll learn a bit about the League’s thinking in the hours ahead.'

Pity so many of these journalists are unwilling or unable to challenge the notion of the AFL re-interpreting their own rules on the fly and using a single incident and player as their sacrificial lamb to do it.

I think he’s right here. Its unfortunate that this is the first incident for the year, but if they want more severe penalties it needs to be consistent throughout the year.

Remember when Shane Edwards derailed duursmas career with a late tackle after x kicked the ball that injured duursma and Edwards didn’t have to even face the mrp

Whiteley and King are the two most insufferable people in the AFL media by a fair margin. I honestly can't stand either of them.

Kingy seems to love laying the boots into us for some reason. And Whiteley has this ridiculously heightened opinion of himself where he talks as if we are all waiting for his wise counsel on all issues and his opinion overrides anyone elses because he legitimately thinks he is the smartest and most morally superior man to ever live.

1708913700345.png

Shoulder heights similar.
1708913781320.png

Crow dragged down slightly
1708913905118.png

One shoulder rides over the other
1708913991460.png

Don't blame the player, blame the game.

Change the rules to remove the bump AFL, or accept liability for allowing them, when you know full well that accidents will happen.

Pretty clear that SPP didn't go high, the crow was being dragged down by Rioli.

Last edited:
I think he’s right here. Its unfortunate that this is the first incident for the year, but if they want more severe penalties it needs to be consistent throughout the year.
That's OK, we all know they won't be consistent, but I would have thought if they want more severe penalties they should change the grading so that there is an extra week(s) for a given rating and meanwhile they should just penalise according to the existing rules.

No surprises that Whateley sees the baseline of a 3 week suspension as clear cut (rating the impact as severe) and a strong possibility of the AFL increasing the penalty further to set an example.

'From where we left off last year I’d say the Powell Pepper bump is a straight up and down three week ban.

But if the AFL has a mind to increase the deterrent it will seek four weeks in this case and establish a greater penalty.

I feel as though you, the constituency, as ready for this type of suspension to rise.

It’s one of those incidents in which the AFL will get whatever penalty it seeks so we’ll learn a bit about the League’s thinking in the hours ahead.'

Pity so many of these journalists are unwilling or unable to challenge the notion of the AFL re-interpreting their own rules on the fly and using a single incident and player as their sacrificial lamb to do it.

I wish someone would give Whately 4 weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This hasn't answered my question. What was SPP expecting to happen in the contest that made going in so hard the reasonable option?

Negate the "careless" aspect for me. If we can negate the careless aspect of the charge, he might get off. But what you're describing when talking about "one second" is the result of SPP going into a contest carelessly. If he'd taken proper care (like players do at every contest in every game) he wouldn't have been in that situation.

The ball was not in the control of Keane or any player only seconds prior. There is no rule to state how hard a player can approach a contest for a loose ball.

SPP does all he can to slow down once the ball is in the control of a player as evidenced via the video and screenshots where he plans his feet and barely moves, the contest comes towards him.

Keane also tries to avoid Riolis tackle by rotating away and to the outside, which for all purposes is akin to ducking in terms of self preservation.

Unfortunate football incident.

Best outcome will be the port players finally learn they all don't have to commit to the contest so can have a few sit back a bit so they don't get burnt time and time again by the opposition players who sit out of the contest waiting for the easy ball.

if that's a 4 weeker, there are going to be some players who miss massive chucks through suspension this year.

couldn't possibility be 4 weeks. If that's 4 weeks kozzies from last year would be 8 this year.
Did laugh at the idea that precedents ever matter in the AFL

It could be 4, and Daicos could do twice as bad round 1 and get off.

Exactly the most likely outcome.

Our best bet here is to argue that the tackle provided a significant amount of the force and get it reduced down to careless/high/high for 2 weeks.

Ban the bump, or don’t suspend when a player does, regardless of accidental head knock.
If it’s a very obvious , no doubt about intentional, thuggery high bump, then suspend.
The rules are, you can bump. The game is played at high speed. And there are so many variables, player height, player going to ground etc. so many things can go wrong during a bump. It should not be a hanging offence & said player made to feel like criminal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back