Two more players and our Premiership list is set!

Remove this Banner Ad

Big long ramble that doesn't say very much .....

While I understand you attend very few games, surely you aren't suggesting that McKinley was actually starting games at high half forward or out on a flank???

McKinley started the vast majority of the games he played close to the goalsquare ... surely you noticed that?

Are you actually suggesting that the Eagles were lining him up out on a flank to allow Lecca to start at FF??? Well, lets be honest, you are .... which makes any actual informed debate impossible ...

McKinley is not suffering because of LeCras because they play different roles. The issue for McKinley is that he often attracts a running half back type as his opponent (regardless of where he starts) BECAUSE they can run off him AND because he can't exploit them in the air because of his relative dwarfism .... his innate goal and positioning sense is his strength - as I said he is a natural forward - the jury remains out on whether he will become a long term player - and this has nothing to do with Lecca .. at all ... clear enough??

And just in case it isn't, I have consistently argued that McKinley is simply a lead and mark FF - thats what he is but he is undersized in that role and needs to add strings to his bow to survive long term... its interesting that he rarely enters the FF debate (i.e. who should be our FF this year) and yet when debating our forward line carrying too many "talls", McKinley is often quoted as one of the marking "talls"... He is a player with talent who may yet make it but your assertion that he was played out of position or away from the FF area last year belies both a lack of understanding of our forward structure and a lack of attendance at games - how many were you at?
There was, no doubt, occasions when he was further up the ground but in modern forward lines that happens to all players - but efforts to see him become a better defensive player who could hold a running defender were not overly promising and rarely lasted long.

Leave it 15YM

E87 is right McKinley's output needs to be rationalized within our forward structures. McKinley sits in our best forward six without question at this stage but it's a matter of how long. Because while our forward line is not sub standard it's our biggest weakness going forward.

Whats them being stupid got to do with any player wanting to be traded back to their home state? If a player wants out they want out.

GC17 paid nothing to sign up all their 17 year olds. So the fact they can pick up another 1st round pick basically for free........that isn't stupid.

I posted months ago the best way for Matera to get to the Eagles is to sign with the GC, he then has the option to request a trade to his prefered club when he turns 18 and eligible to be traded.

Maybe a Spanger or McKinely would interest the GC and sure they will want a decent deal but how can a 1st round pick for a 18 yr old medium forward who has never player an AFL game be unreasonable?
As you mentioned they already had a bunch of 'free' signups (Matera included) - additionally they are already getting a bunch of low picks in the draft.

Why, then, would they want to trade a very highly rated forward talent for another first round pick? They will only want to trade for established players surely. What they already have is an assload of bottom age players - they need some established mature bodies.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but he hasn't said anything about wanting out yet?

I'm hoping that Weedon can become our Yarran type forward - certainly has the talent for it.
That is the most likely scenario of all the players we have on the list and I would add that Weedon will be far better in the air than Yarran but not quite as quick across the ground. I would not swap at this stage, Weedon has a fair bit of grunt about him and I'm tipping he will be best 18 in a couple of years.

As you mentioned they already had a bunch of 'free' signups (Matera included) - additionally they are already getting a bunch of low picks in the draft.

Why, then, would they want to trade a very highly rated forward talent for another first round pick? They will only want to trade for established players surely. What they already have is an assload of bottom age players - they need some established mature bodies.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but he hasn't said anything about wanting out yet?

I did say mature players such as McKinely and / or Spangher may interest them rather than another 1st round pick.

And no Matera has not said anything about wanting to come home to Perth and play for the side his father and two uncles played for!:D

Its well known he is a huge Eagles fan and why wouldn't he be? If you were him watching NickNat, Kennedy, Cox plus the other emerging youngsters where would you want to play if you had a choice?

The point I've made is that by signing with GC17 as a 17 yr old he is a year ahead in how long it would take for him to get traded to where he may want to play. Play a season in the VFL in a better comp than the WAFL, get paid more, check out all the chicks on the Gold Coast. He might stay for 1 or 2 years but by season 2012 the Eagles will be top four material and serious contenders..................GC17 won't even look like playing finals for 4 years IMO.

I've heard Brandon was an Essendon supporter? could be wrong

Anyway the lure of potentially playing with his cousin in a few years time could be worth it for him ;)
Correct

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/matera-name-lives-on-at-grand-final-20080924-4n8f.html

And despite the obvious pressure the surname brings, given the feats of his elders - including the now legendary Norm Smith medal performance by Peter in the Eagles' 1992 premiership, the latest Matera off the production line says he harbours dreams of an AFL career - while shockingly admitting Essendon are his favourite club.

[/B]

I did say mature players such as McKinely and / or Spangher may interest them rather than another 1st round pick.

And no Matera has not said anything about wanting to come home to Perth and play for the side his father and two uncles played for!:D

Its well known he is a huge Eagles fan and why wouldn't he be? If you were him watching NickNat, Kennedy, Cox plus the other emerging youngsters where would you want to play if you had a choice?

The point I've made is that by signing with GC17 as a 17 yr old he is a year ahead in how long it would take for him to get traded to where he may want to play. Play a season in the VFL in a better comp than the WAFL, get paid more, check out all the chicks on the Gold Coast. He might stay for 1 or 2 years but by season 2012 the Eagles will be top four material and serious contenders..................GC17 won't even look like playing finals for 4 years IMO.
Yep, and i'm saying that they wouldnt be stupid enough to trade him unless he wanted out.. and IMO they'd be even stupider if they traded him for our first round pick.

Whole scenario would never happen in a million years.

McKinley will kick 60 goals if he is played in front of goal and not at a half forward flank and if the delivery is good into him.

Where did he set up on Saturday night ... the team set up with 4 almost at FF and a couple of high half forwards ..... McKinley was plenty deep ....
this notion that he is playing on a HF Flank is simply wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heh. Last year Yarran was a bust to all and sundry, and Carlton were idiots and a laughing stock for taking him. A few preseason games and he's "scary talented". Sweet!

He's gonna take a few preseasons to get fit and hard enough for AFL footy, but the guy has already showed the moves he has. I'm excited. Also, he's not for sale. ;)

Heh. Last year Yarran was a bust to all and sundry, and Carlton were idiots and a laughing stock for taking him. A few preseason games and he's "scary talented". Sweet!

He's gonna take a few preseasons to get fit and hard enough for AFL footy, but the guy has already showed the moves he has. I'm excited. Also, he's not for sale. ;)

Just make sure he pleads not guilty too :p

Yep, and i'm saying that they wouldnt be stupid enough to trade him unless he wanted out.. and IMO they'd be even stupider if they traded him for our first round pick.

Whole scenario would never happen in a million years.

Gee, whats that saying "Never say never";)

My entire point is based on "If Matera wanted to play in Perth for the Eagles".

I'll say it AGAIN.......IF MATERA WANTED TO COME HOME.

So IF that was the case IMO we would have to pay for him with either our first round pick or a player or maybe both................both sounds over the top for a 18 yr old who hasn't even played an AFL game yet.

Now if you are sooooo confident "this will never happen in a million years" you must actually know Brandon and what he wants to do, if thats the case fine.:thumbsu:

Anyone that watched him at Swans knew of his freaky talent.

Questions were raised about his work ethic but I don't think its of any great concern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Two more players and our Premiership list is set!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back