List Mgmt. Welcome Matt Owies

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said in the other thread I'm more concerned about what this move foreshadows.

With Long, Ryan, Dewar etc looking OK you would think it's not a position of need for us.

My bets are on Ryan having had enough of the AFL and/or Long not looking good coming off his knee.

Solid enough player so I hope Owies can play his role.

As I said in the other thread I'm more concerned about what this move foreshadows.

With Long, Ryan, Dewar etc looking OK you would think it's not a position of need for us.

My bets are on Ryan having had enough of the AFL and/or Long not looking good coming off his knee.

Solid enough player so I hope Owies can play his role.
Ryan's on the slide but still handy. Interesting call on Long? And there's still Dewar, will add pressure for spots and boost the wafl?

Going to want to be bloody good for the price we paid.
What price? You got him for nothing (if you break the deals down, it's effectively pick 63).
If he was on your radar as a potential target, then getting him chucked into this deal as steak knives makes sure that nobody else gets him (if he ended up delisted, does he have to go to ND or PSD and risk Tigers or North picking him up?).

Good, honest role player. Kicked 60 gales in 41 games in last 2 years next to 2 x Coleman medalists in a top 8 side.
Sure, he has his limitations and will never be a star player, but most Blues supporters are sad to see him go.
I would've had him as probably top 5 at the club for set shots and strong mark for his size.

Best of luck Matt. I look forward to being pissed off at his first jumper tug against us.

Last edited:
Hi guys

I know you are not feeling too good about your club right now but I am generally sad to see Owies go, he was one of my favourite Carlton players in these past couple of years. Part of what endeared him to me is his is an absolute pest who gets under the skin and head of opposition players and supporters (esp Collingwood and Essendon flogs)

He has kicked 60 goals in the past 2 years, which is a decent return given he is in a forward line with Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay.

Carlton decided to let him go mainly cause our list spots are at an premium, and the plan is to groom the very exciting and talented Ashton Moir to take his spot.

He is definitely better than what his reputation suggests and over time, I am very confident he will win you over and maybe become a cult figure for your club.

I can honestly say i wanted Carlton to keep him, but I will watch him with great interest at the Eagles and cheer on every goal he kicks for you (except against Carlton obviously) :)

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6][emoji[emoji6]][emoji6]" data-quote="Slash[emoji6]" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Which we don't need, keeps a player like Noah long out of the side.

He is a much better forward than Noah long ever will be… the fact long can’t kick goals for a start…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You guys will warm to him, works very hard.

Worth noting that he’s not a crumbing/goalsneak type forward tho. He’s a lead-and-mark player with a very nice set shot.
He has a knack of finding himself alone in dangerous places, and gives second efforts aplenty. We’ll miss him. Blame our list management, not him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that there are a heap of oppo supporters coming in here and telling us "hey the guy you payed overs for is actually quite good, but we just had better options available" is possibly the most disheartening thing of all.
Why's it disheartening? It shouldn't be.
You've picked up a best 22 player from a top 8 team for next to nothing because we've unfortunately squeezed him out, much to the dismay of most supporters. We also don't have 'better options available'. We have potential better options, but none of them have actually proven to be as good as Matt yet.
If you see that as a bad thing, then maybe look inward. The deal has been done, so there's really no need for Blues supporters to come in and say these positive things about him.
He's a good, solid best 22 player, who we are sad to see go and you effectively got for pick 63.

Anyway, I don't want to clog up your thread and wear out my welcome. Hopefully you guys come around to him after he starts playing and can separate the pick 3 deal from him, as he was really only steak knives and it's not his fault.

Best of luck guys.

I come in peace.

Matt is a good player and has improved every year he was with us. Will play every week. Give you 1.5 goals per game. Great kick at goal.

It was questionable list management not ability that had him on the brink of being de-listed. We signed alot of fringe players early for bottom $ and ran out of spots. Nobody was happy to see him go.

Anyway hope you guys aren't to hard on him due to the trade he was a part of. He really had nothing to do with you splitting 3. That was primarily a Baker play. He got thrown in for next to nothing.

You didn't run out of list spots you ran out of cap space.

BTW anyone who doesn't like Owies being at the club, you're welcome to blame me.

Goals 2023/2024:

Owies:
2023: 27 goals from 18 games
2024: 33 goals from 23 games

Shai Bolton:
2023: 31 goals from 23 games
2024: 34 goals from 22 games

Kysaiah PIckett:
2023: 37 goals from 23 games
2024: 36 goals from 21 games

Jamie Cripps:
2023: 16 goals from 12 games
2024: 27 goals from 23 games

He's more than a Zac Langdon - will be best 22 and more than likely vill the Jamie Cripps void over the next 3 years. Not a superstar but a handy pick up.

You didn't run out of list spots you ran out of cap space.

BTW anyone who doesn't like Owies being at the club, you're welcome to blame me.

Pretty sure Owies is just taking collateral damage in the general disappointment of what we have given up to get Baker here and the impending sense of doom around Barrass.

**** this guy. Hated him before he was here and now because of the way he’s joined the club it’ll leave a sour taste in the mouth every time I see him play.

Would’ve copped it for free (still doesn’t really make sense) but being the dealbreaker for one of the worst trades of all time will always have him in the bad books.

The fact that there are a heap of oppo supporters coming in here and telling us "hey the guy you payed overs for is actually quite good, but we just had better options available" is possibly the most disheartening thing of all.

Clearly our best small forward this season. He is the only one out of contract and older than most. Carlton are a painfully slow side, and Owies doesn't help with that. We've kept young and/or quicker small forwards hoping they produce.

It's funny that our two most accurate shots for goal, Owies and Kennedy, are the ones being traded out.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Matt Owies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back