Ufc 106 - hw championship !! Lesnar vs carwin -- its on !!

Remove this Banner Ad

HELLSBELLS

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2007
VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar will meet Shane Carwin in his second title defense at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Sherdog.com has confirmed the news through several sources with knowledge of the agreement. MMAMadness.com was the first to report on the card shift that will see Carwin move from a scheduled bout against Cain Velasquez at UFC 104.

Carwin has not answered calls for comment, but posted a message on his official Web Site Wednesday night.

“I can't confirm or deny anything. I can just tell you guys that I am training harder then ever and your support and loyalty will carry me through any fight they send my way,” he wrote.

Scheduling problems led to the dissolution of the previously agreed to Carwin-Velasquez matchup, according to a UFC source speaking anonymously because they were not authorized speak.

Lesnar, the company’s top pay-per-view draw, had minor surgery after defeating Frank Mir in July, creating uncertainty as to when he would be available to fight again.

His quick recovery allowed the promotion to bring him back in November, but with all of the top heavyweights already scheduled to fight, it was necessary to break up one of those bouts.

Carwin became a buzzworthy suitor for the champion following swift first-round technical knockouts over Neil Wain at UFC 89 and Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 96. Carwin, a 1999 NCAA Div. II wrestling champion, battled back from an early knockdown from the Brazilian to finish Gonzaga with his heavy hands.

Lesnar, 32, unified the heavyweight title and avenged his only loss with a second-round drubbing of former interim champion Frank Mir at UFC 100 last July. Lesnar, a 2000 NCAA Div. I heavyweight champion, won the title against perennial competitor Randy Couture by second-round TKO at UFC 91 last November. It was the former World Wrestling Entertainment star’s fourth professional bout.

Yeah I saw that. Interesting. Lesnar didn't want to wait that long to fight again as pretty much allm contenders were taken up. Thus they took Carwin from Valazquez and gave Roy Nelson a shot at Valasquez at UFC 104.

Personally I think they are better matchups anyway.

I'd prefer to see Brock back in action ASAP too... Carwin will be a test, but I still see Brock taking him out.

Yeah I saw that. Interesting. Lesnar didn't want to wait that long to fight again as pretty much allm contenders were taken up. Thus they took Carwin from Valazquez and gave Roy Nelson a shot at Valasquez at UFC 104.

Personally I think they are better matchups anyway.

I'd prefer to see Brock back in action ASAP too... Carwin will be a test, but I still see Brock taking him out.

Its gonna be Ben Rothwell for Velasquez at ufc 104 people are saying ??

Yeah i read rothwell too. Good that lesnar is set to fight again but really does carwin deserve a shot yet? I don't think so. But then, Lesnar probably didnt deserve his shot either, nor Anderson Silva, nor even Randy against Chuck first time. Should be a good fight I am a Lesnar fan but I would like to see Carwin hit him hard in the face, to see what champion qualities Lesnar really has.

Interesting fight because of the size of the two men but that's about it. If they decide to stand (for some reason this seems to be the way in 80% of pure wrestler v pure wrestler fights) it'll be a matter of who lands first wins. Both men could punch the bottom storey from under a building.

Valasquez could probably do with some more tune up fights too, I like the kid, hate to see him flash out rising too quick. He should handel Rothwell and get the much needed cage experience.

Yeah i read rothwell too. Good that lesnar is set to fight again but really does carwin deserve a shot yet? I don't think so. But then, Lesnar probably didnt deserve his shot either, nor Anderson Silva, nor even Randy against Chuck first time. Should be a good fight I am a Lesnar fan but I would like to see Carwin hit him hard in the face, to see what champion qualities Lesnar really has.

Yep, Yep and Yep.

Also not sure where I got Big Country from... either it was a rumour I read or it was a mix up in my head. :eek:

I still think Lesner will roll through Carwin. Carwin is a big strong guy, but he's not as big as some make him out to be. He was a fair bit shorter than Wellisch who is probably not much taller than Lesner. I think there's a thread on sherdog "discussing" this issue but who wants to get into that. But Carwin is the only one close to Lesnar's thickness in the UFC so maybe he'll be able to avoid the takedowns. I think speed will be the big issue though.

I still think Lesner will roll through Carwin. Carwin is a big strong guy, but he's not as big as some make him out to be. He was a fair bit shorter than Wellisch who is probably not much taller than Lesner. I think there's a thread on sherdog "discussing" this issue but who wants to get into that. But Carwin is the only one close to Lesnar's thickness in the UFC so maybe he'll be able to avoid the takedowns. I think speed will be the big issue though.

I have a feeling Carwin's going to shock a lot of people and take Lesnar apart.

Lesnar's managed to achieve the UFC HW strap without having shared the ring with anybody who can actually bang - up until now he's had an advantage on his feet and has used his wrestling so as not to end up on the floor with BJJ guys like Mir. When he has taken a shot (the right hand / knee combination from Mir in the second fight springs to mind) he's looked uncomfortable and has opened himself up for further big shots; a big shot from Mir's not going to be particularly destructive, whereas a big shot from Carwin could straighten up the Tower of Pisa.

In this case Brock's unlikely to want to mix it standing up - I think Carwin's a far more technical striker, and the power he packs is evident from the fact that nobody's lasted much more than a couple of minutes with him before being taken out.

If Brock does try to take it to the ground then Carwin's an equally seasoned wrestler and it will also allow Carwin to get in the short, big shots that could turn Brock's lights out. If Brock does take him down then he's still in danger - Carwin's got five wins by submission so can mix it on the ground. Unless Brock lands a lucky shot and follows up with some controlled G&P (not the messy type he's displayed in previous fights), or if he survives the 1st round and Carwin unveils some unimpressive cardio and gasses, then Carwin can take it any way he wants.

I hope you're right. If Carwin does stand up we could see an epic battle, albeit probably very short. I just think Lesnar's combination of size, ridiculous athletic ability and now skills might be too much.

Has Tim signed with M1? I thought he was managed by Monte Cox?

Anyway, yeah he recently got KO'd by Mercer, coming in at over 310 pounds and fat and obviously thinking it would be a walk in the park. Suffice to say he regretted it. Dana says he has no interest in getting him back in the UFC. Personally I think if he could get back into the shape he was in the UFC at around 260, he'd be a decent opponent for Lesnar. Either he'd be able to ring Lesnar's bell standing up or get taken down and pounded mercilessly by Lesnar. Either way it would be fun to watch.

Has Tim signed with M1? I thought he was managed by Monte Cox?

Sorry, you're right. My mistake.

Here's a pic of big Tim to remember the good times

sylvia-c67.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole card looks pretty damn good, Ortiz returns, Florian vs Guida, Fitch vs Almeida, Saunders vs Davis and even seeing Sadollah again would be good.

Just in that Florian Guida is off till 107. They are using it to replace Jackson Evans, which will make that weaker but still far better than 106 IMHO. Florian Guida would have been the most anticipated fight on 106 for me. The sooner Amir Sadohlla's 3 fight deal runs out the better. I'm astounded someone with is ability won a TUF series, and against Phill Baroni! Jeez. What's next, rolling out old timers like Mark Coleman??.... Oh wait, what!?

The sooner Amir Sadohlla's 3 fight deal runs out the better. I'm astounded someone with is ability won a TUF series, and against Phill Baroni!
That's a bit harsh on Sadollah, IMO - He embarrassed CB Dollaway twice, and while he's a douche, Dollaway has actually won a couple of UFC fights now.

The fight against Hendricks should never have been stopped - He was defending himself and was in absolutely no trouble. That's one of the worst stoppages I've seen in a long time.

As far as I'm concerned, Sadollah is still basically untested, and I'm not going to write him off until he's given a reasonable chance.

That's a bit harsh on Sadollah, IMO - He embarrassed CB Dollaway twice, and while he's a douche, Dollaway has actually won a couple of UFC fights now.

The fight against Hendricks should never have been stopped - He was defending himself and was in absolutely no trouble. That's one of the worst stoppages I've seen in a long time.

As far as I'm concerned, Sadollah is still basically untested, and I'm not going to write him off until he's given a reasonable chance.

Take you HO, but mine is Dollaway's ability is less than that of Amir Sadollah, which is poor. Summed up the entire series really. The only fighter out of that series with any potential is Matt Brown because he is a pitbull. Dollaway's probaly on his last fight in the UFC himself. Sadollah has lived this long on the back of his own injuries. We've all seen him fight during TUF and it was against some raw arsed and bottom of the barreled opponents. We've seen less of Brock Lesnar.

Absolutely devastated to hear Brock's pulled out. Looks like Tito and Forrest are headlining now. Everyone who bought tickets would be livid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ufc 106 - hw championship !! Lesnar vs carwin -- its on !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back