UFC 107 - Penn vs Sanchez

Remove this Banner Ad

Good fight on ATM between K-Flo and Guida. Kennys elbow has opened Clays head open real good! 

K-Flo!! Great right by Kenny knocking Guida down, which lead to a rear naked! Kenny in the 2nd.

Not sure I've seen many more talented blokes than BJ Penn in any sort of discipline. His hands are insane. His balance and poise is just streets ahead.

Freakshow.

Penn dominates Sanchez for the whole fight and gets the stoppage with a massive cut to Sanchez's left forehead midway through the 5th round. Sanchez was willing but Penn just in another class. Sanchez might consider himself lucky to escape the first round after Penn was laying into him but respect to Herb Dean for letting them go.

Cheers to strike swiftly for the link too. Awesome link. Thanks!!

Well how about that? It wasn't even a contest, Diego offered absolutely nothing for BJ. I think everyone was caught up in the Diego being some crazy machine who would shock the world, but really he just didn't have the tools to beat Penn. Penn at LW is the best fighter in the world.

The rest of the card was average. Mir looked awesome but he really needs to get over Lesnar, it's getting weird. Kenny was too good for Guida and that's about it.

BJ's just on another level. Great heart shown by Sanchez but BJ didn't even break a sweat. Like he said in the countdown, Sanchez is too stiff and BJ could read every punch, kick and takedown attempt. Don't know who's next for BJ. I'd like to see Gray Maynard get a shot after he murders Nate Diaz. Kenny Florian will get a rematch eventually and I think he'd do better with a different gameplan instead of trying to copy GSP. But still, I can't see anyone being a serious threat for a long time.

Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - Mir by whatever he wants. Don't understand people here under-rating him. Kongo is no Brock Lesnar. Mir's got excellent jiu jitsu for a heavyweight and his stand up keeps getting better.

Told you so :thumbsu:. Really happy for Mir and he was very humble after the fight. All that talk pre-fight and in the Countdown was just hype. Mir knows his weaknesses and is working on them everyday. I don't think he'll fight Lesnar until 2011 which means he's got over a year to work on his game and will probably have another 2 fights in that time. Lesnar still has to get past Carwin (whom he won't fight until March at the earliest) and provided he wins that, will probably face the winner of Nogueira and Velasquez.

Kenny Florian was very impressive. Once he found his rhythm, it was only a matter of time before he finished Guida. I love watching Florian because he's such an intelligent fighter. I can see a rematch with Diego very soon.

Fitch did what he does best. He's a real worker with a huge heart. It's just unfortunate for him that he fights in the same era as GSP.

Belcher obviously realized that he wasn't sexy enough against Sexyama hence the pink muay thai shorts and cornrows.

I hate DaMarques Johnson and would love to see him die at the hand of Matt Brown but unfortunately that'd be a backward step for The Immortal.

Anyway, had a multibet with Penn, Mir, Florian and Fitch so I'm happy.

1j5c92.gif

According to Fight Metric, BJ landed 150 strikes to Diego's 8. That's incredible. Diego also made 27 takedown attempts and landed none.

15xu693.gif

23siqt3.gif

2z86s2c.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** me that was awesome! I expected a one-sided whitewash, but it was still beautiful to watch. What an absolute MMA clinic BJ ran.

Mir looked good. I thought he'd win but I wasn't expecting him to drop Kongo on their feet.

**** me that was awesome! I expected a one-sided whitewash, but it was still beautiful to watch. What an absolute MMA clinic BJ ran.
Yeh it was great to watch. I wanted BJ to go for the takedown and submission to complete the clinic, but I think he showed enough :D. Maynard wouldn't last long against Penn, nor would Edgar or Griffin. They just have no realistic challenge to offer him at this point in his career.

Supremely brutal dispatching of Sanchez there. Total other level stuff from Penn. There is no one in the UFC or even worldwide that can handle BJ at the moment. That was the best the UFC could give him and he was annihilated.

Rogan said steal Aoki from Japan, he’s a great fighter, but a terrible matchup for Penn, the only entertaining thing is if it went into a grappling battle, but Penn’s too smart for that, he’d just monster him on the feet. To beat Penn, first and foremost you need to have excellent hands with punching power minimum. Then you need a solid ground game or reasonable TD defence. That leaves only a few fighters out there.

Maynard – Great wrestling, could go the decision round, but 5 rounds? I’d suggest BJ would stop him prior to letting him LnP for 5 rounds.

Hansen – not good enough on the ground. Punchers chance though.

Gomi – Way out of form, ground game and cardio are questionable. Probably go how it did last time, if not sooner. Best matchup stylistically though.

Kawajiri – Great fighter, but only a punchers chance again.

Eddie Alvarez – A chance as he has really good wrestling, really good boxing and good cardio. Suspect to submission though, but this would be an exciting match, and he’d do much better than Diego.

Frankie Edgar – Probably too small, and although has good grappling, would be schooled by Penn. Standup is good, but not enough punching power.

Personally I reckon Jose Aldo if given time, could bulk up (he’s still young) and at least seems to have the tools to take BJ on. Not yet, but at only 23, he’s one that might take the torch from BJ at 155 later down the track.

If I was the UFC, I’d import some of the top Japanese talent or consider fighter exchange, give Penn a retirement present and let him clean out the LW div in Japan. Would be awesome for us fans anyway!

Other than that, card was entertaining, Mir was good, but I would have liked to see more, but seems to be on a mission to take out Lesnar which is an entertaining “storyline”. Be great if Mir fought the winner of Nog/Valasquez. Would love to see a rematch between a health Nog and new and improved horse meat uber Mir.

Buentello/Struve was an entertaining brawl and Florian did really well to take out tassie devil in Guida. Belcher also did well, and he's seeming to improve each time he fights...

BJ's biggest opponent at 155 is going to be himself. If he stays motivated and in-shape nobody in the division can hang with him. FightMetric said the last time any lightweight has taken him down was Gomi back in 2003. Aldo looks to have the tools but he still hasn't defended his title, he'd have his hands full in a Faber fight and by the time he's cleaned out the featherweight division and is ready to move up BJ will probably be long gone as a lightweight.

Like Magnum I'd have liked to see Mir's fight last longer but that's usually how Mir fights go, this was the eighth time he's won a fight by sub in the first two minutes of the fight. Must have been a long time since Kongo was dropped in a fight though, maybe his KO loss to Yvel years ago?

Good win for Florian, hopefully a rematch with Diego is next on the cards. Typical grinding win for Fitch, time to give him a fight against a powerful striker like Rumble, Daley or Alves next, I'm guessing they'll do the originally planned Fitch/Almeida fight instead though. Buentello and Struve was good, although Struve fights really stupidly for a giant. Good win for Belcher too, Gouveia's probably on his way out of the UFC with that loss. The Garcia/DaMarques fight was also great, disappointed that Garcia threw it away like that though.

I'm calling it now - Sotiropoulis to KO Stevenson in such an impressive fashion that he immediately earns a title shot and subs BJ with a flying omoplata.

Sticky this thread for future reference.

Supremely brutal dispatching of Sanchez there. Total other level stuff from Penn. There is no one in the UFC or even worldwide that can handle BJ at the moment. That was the best the UFC could give him and he was annihilated.

Rogan said steal Aoki from Japan, he’s a great fighter, but a terrible matchup for Penn, the only entertaining thing is if it went into a grappling battle, but Penn’s too smart for that, he’d just monster him on the feet. To beat Penn, first and foremost you need to have excellent hands with punching power minimum. Then you need a solid ground game or reasonable TD defence. That leaves only a few fighters out there.

Even if you get the bloke able to punch and hurt him, the odds that he'll last long enough to hit enough targets to wear him down are very short. His evasion and balance are outstanding, but his poise blows me away. Never flustered. All that equals a brutal counter and his ability to consistently hit damaging areas by hand is outstanding.

He's a freak. I don't know much about MMA and it's history, but surely this bloke is something special.

Even if you get the bloke able to punch and hurt him, the odds that he'll last long enough to hit enough targets to wear him down are very short. His evasion and balance are outstanding, but his poise blows me away. Never flustered. All that equals a brutal counter and his ability to consistently hit damaging areas by hand is outstanding.

He's a freak. I don't know much about MMA and it's history, but surely this bloke is something special.

He isn't called the "prodigy" for nothing. Immense talent.

Aoki would be destroyed and is possibly the worst matchup of the fighters outside the UFC. I agree with the Aldo suggestion but I think BJ would submit him or find some way to win against such a young opponent. I'll throw up another one - JZ Cavalcante. He's very flaky, but he has KO power and an excellent ground game. Seriously though, no one's beating Penn at LW.

The scariest thing about Penn is he keeps getting better. That fight was like a cat toying with a mouse. I expected a disparity in talent, but the strength & conditioning differential was just as vast.

Would love to see him fight GSP again at a catch weight (162.5 - 165?).

Kongo just about done now you would think, save Dana pitting him against someone like Kimbo purely for novelty value.

Remove this Banner Ad

UFC 107 - Penn vs Sanchez

Remove this Banner Ad

Back