UFC 107 - Penn vs Sanchez

Remove this Banner Ad

unfortunately missed the fight, however reading through this thread and my usual excitment at watching BJ fight, i am drooling over the prospect of watching it. nothing like watching a master ply their trade.

Lightweight Championship: BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez - "Yesssssss!" screams Diego. Err, no. :) Sanchez can have all the confidence and self-belief and self-motivation in the world, but what he doesn't have is the sheer talent of BJ Penn, who just put on a clinic. I thought Penn would dominate this fight; the only thing he didn't do was finish it. You have to admire Diego's heart and his persistance in trying to take Penn down, but Penn is just on another plane.

Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - Unlike some of you, I was always confident Mir would win and didn't he look physically awesome with the extra muscle he's put on? Maybe it was a lucky punch that got Kongo, but Mir's striking has improved a lot. And of course he knows how to finish by sub. I really, really, really hope Mir gets another shot at Lesnar at some point. It's 1-1 between those two and there needs to be a decider. I hope Cheick Kongo isn't finished in the UFC. He's a great and courageous competitor who puts on entertaining fights.

Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce - I was really impressed with Pierce. He really took it up to Fitch and couldn't have been too far away from getting the points. Fitch lacks KO power, but is a great competitor with heaps of all-round talent and he was just a bit too good for Pierce.

Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida - Win, lose or draw, Clay Guida will always be invited back because he just puts on such entertaining fights. This was no exception, but it was really an awesome performance by Florian to get in thst strike and then finish Guida with a choke. I hope Florian fights Diego again.

Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve - Very entertaining fight this one. Struve probably wasn't at his best but he has an enormous advantage with his height. It'll be interesting to see how far he goes. He's still only very young and has a lot of improvement in him, you'd think. Courageous effort by Buentello. Hopefully we see him again.

Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs Wilson Gouveia - Alan Belcher, what are you doing, man!! :eek: Ok, it was a solid win in another entertaining fight, but how about that look? Perhaps someone needs to remind Belcher that this is mixed martial arts, not some San Francisco pride parade. :eek:

Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Edgar Garcia - Garcia shot himself in the foot. Boooo for Damarques. I can't stand him. :p

Guida is boring as batshit in my opinion. He's relentless with takedown attempts but once he's got you down, I'll look away until it's back to the feet.

Remove this Banner Ad

UFC 107 - Penn vs Sanchez

Remove this Banner Ad

Back