UK UK general election, July 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t happen in Australia to either Labor or Libs with their leadership changes, no wipe out occurred.

Scomo won in 2019 too.

I think Uk different set of circumstances.
It's not compulsory for starters. Australia wouldn't see this volatility but there isn't much doubt there were swings against each party that changed leaders mid cycle. Rudd/Gillard/Rudd, Abbott/Turnbull.

Nuneaton, Darlington, Stroud all fallen within the last 10 minutes.

Chattering seems to be that the Tories will be on the lower side of the exit poll.

EDIT: Might be better for Tories at expense of Reform actually

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sir Robert Buckland, Tory who just lost his seat:

"I'm fed up with performance art politics. I've watched colleagues in the Conservative Party strike poses, write inflammatory op eds, and say stupid things they have no evidence for instead of concentrating on doing the job they were elected to do. I've had enough of it.

"I want the Conservative Party to get back to the ethos of doing stuff well and being competent and not pretending to please the media.

"If we can get back to that, then I think we have more than a fighting chance at the next election, but we need to do it quickly and we need to wake up now."

"I expect more from colleagues. And I also expect colleagues in senior office to get a grip of their brief and their portfolio and understand politics is about hard choices and doing the detail," Sir Robert said.

"It's not about left and right. It's about those who want to come into politics to do things, rather than to be somebody.

"I'm fed up of personal agendas and jockeying for position, the truth is now — with the Conservatives facing this electoral Armageddon — it's going to be like a group of bald men arguing over a comb.

"I came into politics to actually do government and to responsibly exercise power in order to make change in this country.

"I wanted the chance to do more for the people I care about. I've been denied that because the party around me can't get its proverbial together."

I always love election night meltdowns from outgoing MPs.

It's not compulsory for starters. Australia wouldn't see this volatility but there isn't much doubt there were swings against each party that changed leaders mid cycle. Rudd/Gillard/Rudd, Abbott/Turnbull.
FPTP naturally produces bigger swings than our preference system too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back