Umpires in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

The umpiring was poor but it didn't favour Freo.
Sandilands got a lot of soft frees in the ruck, the White collision was head scratching as the commentators said, I could go on.

Sandi didn't get soft frees, they were all pretty bloody obvious. Once it became clear he was winning pretty much every tap then the Richmond player started to play the man and not the ball. He was unlucky not to get more free kicks.

The White collision was another obvious one - he had eyes for the player and made front on contact. It's a free every day of the week.

The thing that annoys me about the umps is the holding the ball interpretation. Pav threw the ball out, didn't dispose correctly - play on. A player is pinned under a pack and it's holding the ball. This happened with both sides.

Yeah, the Pav one should have been a free kick, but it wasn't paid because the umpire wouldn't have seen it. Nothing to do with interpretation. It wasn't the only throw that went unpenalised, but if the umpire is on the wrong side of the contest and doesn't see it, then they shouldn't guess. Their holding the ball calls were pretty good all day IMO. Just about every time I thought a player dived on it and didn't get it out he was penalised. The only poor 'interpretation' was Jake King given about a minute to get rid of it after being tackled.

It's easy to blame the umpires to vent frustration after a loss but we won by 8 goals, hardly cost you the game.

I don't think anyone's questioning that.

It wasn't a throw by Pav yesterday either, if you watch closely Foley/Batchelor (cant remember which one) reaches up to grab Pav's arm and knocks the ball up and out of his hand. I only saw it on the replay, but it was pretty clear that it was not a throw.

This thread is embarrassing. We got the rub of the green imo with the umps. And it just smacks of sour grapes when you bring up umpiring after a loss. It didn't affect the result of the game so our supporters should get over it and focus on next week. There are poor decisions in every game and the umpires aren't machines; it's a pretty tough gig.

the umpiring has been shithouse this year nationwide. i think the modern game is being adjudicated by old heads who can't keep up. the afl needs to give this a think.

not sour grapes unless people blame them for the loss.

We were also complaining about the umpires last game in a win.

Umpiring standards are getting worse an scary thing is we will need atleast 3 more next year when theres 9games a week instead of 8.

I don't think the game was decided by umpiring, but more the 1-8 in the first quarter. But the umpiring in a large number of games has been poor - at best.

Remember someone running outside the boundary with the ball on their outer side and a goal was the result. Seen something like that a couple of times.

Holding the ball, stop this "attempted" crap - you are either holding the ball, or you got rid of it, sitting there trying to stab the bloody thing still is holding the ball.

I don't care if an umpire calls every penalty, or doesn't, as long as they are consistent. Seen examples on the weekend - holding the ball for ages and it wasn't called, and then next time, bang, no chance called straight away.

Scary thing is - we only play 8 games max a round at the moment - next year we're going to need an extra 4 umpires a game, excluding the goals, and boundary...

Next year there will be worst calls.

Next year they also better introduce that if you duck into a player - you get done for dangerous play. Will we wait till a player gets paralysed before we change the defender is always at fault?

Umpiring is a joke, we lost the game on our own merits - but you can never know what an umpire is thinking....

I cant believe anyone can think that the Reiwolt attempted mark is anything but a Fremantle free.Watch it on Afl.com.He was not tunnelled at all!!He got up,kneed Grover in the shoulders and got nowhere near the ball.Dont tell me he only got up like that because he was pushed,not jumping jack.

if you cant see he was pushed in the lower back than your blind... i know it isnt the best camera angle but you can clearly see mcpharlin push him in the back

and you also say he got no where near the ball??? i admit he didnt touch the ball but he was easily within half a meter away from the ball considering after mcpharin pushes jack hes actually the one to touches the ball. do you seriously think someone could jump like that without behind helped by a push?

love the way freo supports try and blame the umpires for the loss both teams got bad decisions want me to name some of the lucky decisions you guys got?

a mark that was paid to mcphee that wasnt actually a mark he dropped the ball

luke mcguane was tackled without the ball which resulted in a goal to freo because he was taken out of play

if you want more im happy to watch the game again on tv and find more? i was actually at the game and they showed alot more replays of crap decisions than was on tv

good and bad decisions go each way... gotta love the way some of the freo ppl say they get screwed over by the umpires when they come to melb.... thats funny considering the umpires travel around Australia and umpire in each state

freo got some real lucky free kicks in the 2nd and 3rd and the tigers got some lucky ones in the last

notice how some supporters from other club have also said that freo got the better end

We were poor today,very poor but,playing in Melbourne the umpires just see the game differently towards away sides.So many times they ignore decisions that need to be made regardless of who is playing,,chopping the arms must have happened 4 times against Keplar and Mayne,Riewolt went for mark of the year twice,got no where near it and didn't give a kick away.There were a number of times the Tigers were awarded frees for high,when they almost dropped the head into a Freoplayer.McPharlain also got smashed after taking a mark,which resulted in a goal.
This is not a rant after losing a game,these are simple rules of the game.We had our chance to kill this game off early,but the game is hard to watch when the rules are not followed for the away teams playing in Melbourne.

Haven't watched the replay yet but at the ground the Richmond supporters were going mental at the umpiring and were of the opinion that they were copping a rough deal.

Whinging about umpires in a 50 point loss is just strange to me. It would be like calling a very attractive girl a bitch because she went home with your better looking mate. Not her problem, you have just got to stop being so shit.

if you cant see he was pushed in the lower back than your blind... i know it isnt the best camera angle but you can clearly see mcpharlin push him in the back

and you also say he got no where near the ball??? i admit he didnt touch the ball but he was easily within half a meter away from the ball considering after mcpharin pushes jack hes actually the one to touches the ball. do you seriously think someone could jump like that without behind helped by a push?

love the way freo supports try and blame the umpires for the loss both teams got bad decisions want me to name some of the lucky decisions you guys got?
I agree that he was pushed.

a mark that was paid to mcphee that wasnt actually a mark he dropped the ball
Totally false . This untruth being helped by the biased commentary. In slow motion it clearly shows the ball stick in Mcphees hands. It becomes dislodged after the Richmond player swings his arm into Mcphees contacting nowhere near the ball. Mark or free kick take your pick - correct result.

if you want more im happy to watch the game again on tv and find more? i was actually at the game and they showed alot more replays of crap decisions than was on tv .
Have already watched game on tv again. Some Richmonds frees were missed mainly Riewoldt being impeded. However many more Frees against Freo were let go than Richmond.

Another interesting comedy gem from the commentators . Richmond player makes extreme front on contact with de Boer in marking contest. Replay show 100% correct decision. Dunstall in a bizarre and frankly pathetic manner attempts to justify the reckless contact.

freo got some real lucky free kicks in the 2nd and 3rd and the tigers got some lucky ones in the last
False Tigers given majorityof 50/50s in their defensive 50m and in attacking 50m.
Mcphee 1st quarter arms taken out - richmond player nowhere near ball -play on
Mayne 3rd quarter -Rance attempst spoil doesn't touch ball takes down Maynes arms - play on

Fyfe disallowed mark ? Complete joke

Houli - slides into Pitts head - no free kick

Fyfe in middle - Richmond player slides in extremely dangerously damages Fyfes shoulder - inches from his head and serious damage - no free kick

many more

Also Sandilands frees were 100% correct - Get video - zoom in and you will see how clear they were.

notice how some supporters from other club have also said that freo got the better end
False . Three supporters from other clubs on our match day thread saying we are being done . One on yours - apparently an Adelaide supporter who seemed to get at least as much joy out of Richmond goals as your own supporters.

In summary - having analysed the replay. protestations that Richmond didn't have the balance of the umpiring decisions are unfounded. Statements that Freo were favoured are simply complete and utter bullshit. Cant let these ppl come onto our board and just spin crap.

Lastly I would say the commentary team this week was childishly biased.

Whinging about umpires in a 50 point loss is just strange to me. It would be like calling a very attractive girl a bitch because she went home with your better looking mate. Not her problem, you have just got to stop being so shit.

Don't know about the others but just like being correct and vindicated

It got to the point where all I could do was laugh. When jack went up and took out 2 players whilst being horizontal I knew that it was a joke. Apparently he's allowed to go for screamers, not touch the ball and take out the defender in the process now.

Not saying we lost because of the umps but some of those calls were ridiculous.

Doesn't appear as though Riewoldt interfered with the Fremantle players' marking attempts. Grover has bumped him, deliberately or otherwise, and knocked him off balance.

rich_freo_7-600x400.jpg
richmond_riewoldt_main-200x0.jpg

Umpiring generally was below par. Perhaps the most contentious decision was the free to Riewoldt 15m out in the third quarter. Was maybe 20m off the ball and few if any in the crowd saw what happened. Got another questionable/soft one earlier and passed to Cotchin for a goal.

Sure, McPharlin should've been paid the mark in the last. Soon after, Pavlich received a shocking free on the wing when he turned his back to the ball and crashed into a Richmond player who was flying for a legitimate spoil, which led directly to Freo's final goal. Sandilands also got some favourable verdicts at ruck contests.

While Freo has won the past three free kick counts v Richmond in Melbourne, the umpiring wasn't a significant factor in Saturday's result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was more injuries than umpiring that killed us. When Kepler, Ballantyne and Fyfe all got injured in a row, it went downhill fast.

It was frustrating occasionally with the maggots. It seems Richmond is a lot more adept at the duck your head into a tackle and get a free. But that's the interpretation of the rules for this week. For the record, you can't use Sandi as a climbing frame. The free kicks were there. Some of the non-marks were laughable (Fyfe and Macpharlin).

I'm hoping Richmond actually maintains some form past the halfway point in the season this time. Would be nice to see the perennial bridesmaids dancing in September.

Can people stop saying we are blaming umps for loss,nobody in this thread has even suggested that,it is just a comment about be obvious free kicks that are not given,and a few dodgy ones that are,im not saying it cant be both ways but defiantly feels we get shafted more often than not.sorry ,just my opinion.

I agree that he was pushed.

Totally false . This untruth being helped by the biased commentary. In slow motion it clearly shows the ball stick in Mcphees hands. It becomes dislodged after the Richmond player swings his arm into Mcphees contacting nowhere near the ball. Mark or free kick take your pick - correct result.

you must be thinking of a different part to me... i saw it live at the mcg mcphee was paid a mark in the forward 50 it did look like a mark from where i was but they showed a replay at the ground it actually showed the ball slipped through his hands and hit the ground, they didnt actually show this replay on tv which i found weird. just watch the game and find a part where mcphee was paid a mark and 20 seconds later the whole ground screams BOOOOOOO

also just to let you know it was an uncontested mark

you must be thinking of a different part to me... i saw it live at the mcg mcphee was paid a mark in the forward 50 it did look like a mark from where i was but they showed a replay at the ground it actually showed the ball slipped through his hands and hit the ground, they didnt actually show this replay on tv which i found weird. just watch the game and find a part where mcphee was paid a mark and 20 seconds later the whole ground screams BOOOOOOO

also just to let you know it was an uncontested mark

Game is on the AFL official website video section . The mark is Replayed 16.42 third quarter after a goal. Slow mo clearly shows strike to his arm from Richmond player. Still dunno how the booooo from the Home supporters could be wrong?

You have got to be kidding right?

Umpiring was poor for both teams, but it was the Tiges who copped the rougher end of the stick.

Inb4richmondbias.

This is wrong and very cruel. How dare you comment on a Freo forum displaying an avatar that features a character called Phil Gilbert? That's twisting a knife.

I didn't get to see the game so I can't comment on the umpiring. Carry on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back