Umpires payrise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprisingly, I agree whole heartedly with Ripper on this. The umpires are the most hated people on the field, they cop abuse from every angle yet are still expected to run out every week and not let anything effect them but their interpretation of the rules.

There is no glory, we don't reflect on great umpires thoughout history, they are rarely celebrated yet the utmost professionalism is expected of them on a weekly basis.

Still, it is a right of every footy loving aussie to go spare at them so for this they should be paid accordingly.

I actually agree with paying them well.

Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

It will give more incentive for good umpires to push up to the top level and less incentive to become corrupted.

I agree.

I don't think the current umps deserve a payrise but it's the only way to give incentive for people to become umpires (decent ones).

While an average umpire's salary is $55,000-$65,000, it will boost a top umpire's earning capacity to almost $110,000 this season and $125,000 in the final year of the agreement.

"There are bonuses along the way for achieving certain results. It is possible for the top umpires to earn that amount, but on the other hand, the newer umpires and those inexperienced ones are on a hell of a lot less than that."

Why not, The AFL itself got a payrise through the TV rights, The players got a payrise. You have to share the wealth. And it's not like every ump is going to be on 6 figure wages, only the top ones.

Fair enough if you ask me.

"There are bonuses along the way for achieving certain results"

Is that when they do they a match at Subiaco ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires payrise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back