Underrated things in life

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're talking about the Chinese fried dumplings agreed. If you're talking about the flour ones served with meat and kidneys ewwww.
Many years ago, there used to be a Russian restaurant in Acland St, St Kilda, which served dumplings in home-made, concentrated strawberry puree as dessert. Scrumptious. Also, their Beef Stroganoff was to live for.

I don't think clean sheets belong in this thread. They are highly rated IMO.

For those asking/talking about dumplings. Steamed chicken and prawn are where it's at. North East China Family on Flinders Lane. Amazing. $11 for 15. WINNING.

- Sitting in a room alone listening to music with headphones. Perfect.

- Playing a brilliant pool shot when a heap of people are watching

I seem to always make a brilliant pool shot and no one is ****ing watching. :mad::(

+ one for being alone. Also just doing things alone in general -insert obvious joke here-, I prefer say shopping on my own. Going to the movies once in a while on your own is okay too.

celery soup

It's pretty exciting too!!! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those of you who love dumplings, it's worth a trip to the night market on donganmen st in Beijing. There's maybe a km of little food stalls along the side of the road that sell all manner of weird and wonderful things (deep fried tarantula is underrated). As you walk past you have good smells, then some truly horrific smells and then you smell the dumplings. They smell like something from heaven and the taste doesn't disappoint either.

64071159.jpg

Many years ago, there used to be a Russian restaurant in Acland St, St Kilda, which served dumplings in home-made, concentrated strawberry puree as dessert. Scrumptious. Also, their Beef Stroganoff was to live for.

Pelmeni and varenniki. Could make a fortune by selling these in Australia. They're sold frozen, and you throw them in boiling water till they float to the top. Add a bit of sauce and they're done. Would be the staple food of a lot of lazy people.

Similar to Polish pierogi. Haven't seen them in shops either though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelmeni

Pelmeni and varenniki. Could make a fortune by selling these in Australia. They're sold frozen, and you throw them in boiling water till they float to the top. Add a bit of sauce and they're done. Would be the staple food of a lot of lazy people.

Similar to Polish pierogi. Haven't seen them in shops either though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelmeni
Thank you so much for that. I found it fascinating. Given the diversity of cuisines available in Australia it is somewhat of surprise that there is no Russian Restaurant, that I know of. I suppose this is attributable to the scant number of Russian migrants who have come here. As you say, Russian food would go down a treat here. Everything on that restaurant's menu was fabulous. Thanks to your prompting, I've just remembered its name - The Berioska (sp?).

Just one thing though, these dumplings didn't have a filling, as such. They more or less floated in the sea of strawberry heaven. Is this a common use of them? Oh, and the other thing about them was that they needed no accompaniment with them. No cream or ice cream. To add anything would have been a sacrilege.

Wrapped into one experience:

Cold Sunday
Walk down to shops with my daughter in the morning
Buy big leg of lamb and associated with herbs
Back at home at 10am and fire up fireplace
Prep and slow cook lamb
Back in front of fireplace with pre game footy shows on (sometimes Simpsons on fox)
Crack red wine and/or beers
Enjoy the day and the smell of roast lamb wafting through the house and fire while watching footy/reading/playing with my daughter all the while drinking a few glasses of wine or beers throughout the day

Then work Monday :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Underrated things in life

Remove this Banner Ad

Back