News UPDATE: SANFL rescind approval for AFC using state style jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motley was mentioned in thread in this thread - it was Peter quoted in the Tiser article yesterday. He was as critical as what the other players were.

He mentioned how he played state footy with Russell Ebert, who was a childhood hero of his.

Im not interested in getting into the broader debate on this thread - Im just posting here to clarify the apparent confusion as to whether it wad Peter -or Geof - Motley, who had made recent negative comments on this subject.

I'm pretty sure I saw Geoff being interviewed on TV, so he also did comment.

If you really think that wearing the SoO guernsey was to honour the SANFL clubs of which your club was born, please, tell me why you would wear it at a Port home game?
Always comes back to Port, you think you're so special..

How about the fact that it is the 1st time the AFC will run out onto Adelaide Oval..
There is no second "1st time"..

Or because it's not our home game do we all try to pretend we have never run out onto that ground? :rolleyes:

The trouble about this is that it's a unique strange situation where we were born from the SANFL, and one of those clubs is now in the AFL (or are they a new club once again? ;) )..
So we are meant to be the ones who pander to and go out of our way to keep happy and not offend the poor dear little souls?
This was about OUR club, typical Port mentality they've had for years thinking they are all that matters..

Thanks mate, I love your effort. Envious that you were able to do it so easily and quickly I might have a crack one day with Photoshop.

Anyways my bias is towards the blue version you came up with, however I liked your yellow version.

I think the Crows should let Origin football be in the place that it is best suited ie dead and underground.

I think there is some jealous ex-players out there that wanted their 5 minutes complaining.

In fact I have no problem with Port bitching about it, but to have the rest make it an issue.

Lets cut the cord and run out own Club the way we want to.

Its only colouring in the existing design. But for the rest of it, I never really got into state of origin. I always saw it as an interruption rather than the showcase it is to most people, so in the words of someone now famous, I don't care…about precious ex state footballers, no matter who they be, getting all precious over a ****ing jumper. Anyone would think they'd gone to fight in a trench war the way the've carried on about it. A bit of perspective required. They should have said 'wow, look at that, crows want to pay homage to our efforts'…instead of "you didn't die in the trenches so you have no right to wear a semblance of our state jumper….oh but it's alright if you wear an older one…because those dead footballers don't matter now"

…now I'll sit back and wait for the incoming, but when that happens, refer to Nigel. "Nup, nup, I don'……….":)

I still remember that forward line of Lockett and Ablett OMG that was unbelievable.

Sadly when Teddy passed away, so did SOO>

Think it was more the game turning fully professional. Players became assets of the club and niggles that wouldn't keep them out of a club match would have them listed as injured for a state match. Exactly the opposite to how I see soo rugby league.

Why do you think calling us 'Powder' supporters is offensive in the slightest?What is completely lost on you (many others, too) is that the SoO guernsey is a symbol of unification. It didn't matter who you were or who you played for; in SoO you were playing for South Australia. For the AFC to wear the SoO guernsey, to me, is a ridiculous concept all together. The AFC is not and has not ever been a state team. To wear it against a fellow South Australian club is a clear act of one-upmanship, a childish attempt to outdo the PAFC and goes completely against the notion that SoO football represented. You can blame the SANFL all you like, but the onus is on YOUR club.

If you really think that wearing the SoO guernsey was to honour the SANFL clubs of which your club was born, please, tell me why you would wear it at a Port home game?

If the "main bitching and squealing came from" the PAFC, please help me to better understand the following information. I googled 'Adelaide guernsey', the first results is as follows:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...howdown-guernsey/story-fni5f4l8-1226818767749

At 6.30pm the Crows flew the white flag on their web site by announcing: "The SANFL has rescinded approval for us to wear a version of the SA guernsey.''

It came after some of the greatest SA footballers to wear the coveted guernsey had voiced their displeasure with the proposed jumper when speaking to The Advertiser.

Former greats such as Mark Naley, Garry McIntosh, Peter Motley, and John Platten slammed the plan and talkback continued to be in overdrive until the SANFL acted.

McIntosh summed it up: "If you're trying to get one up on Port, beat them when you play them,'' he said. "Beating them in the boardroom doesn't count.

"That's what happens when people in bullshit castles make bullshit decisions.''

Carlton champ Mark Naley, a Fos Williams medallist who cherishes his jumpers from 17 state games, was of a similar mind.

"How dare they,'' he said of the plan.

"It'd be like Carlton wearing the big V because it has a big membership and the right colours.

"It's just ridiculous. I'm a Carlton person and I'd be against that.''

Motley, whose first state game was a famous drought-breaking game against the Big V at Victoria Park in 1983, called the Crows' plan a "farce''.

Platten said the plan would have devalued the state jumper and pointed out that state jumpers had to be earned, regardless of the sport.

Carlton president and SA Origin football hero Stephen Kernahan questioned how the SANFL could approve the Crows wearing the State jumper.

And he questioned if the AFL had set a precedent whereby Carlton could adopt the Victorian "Big V" state jumper in a celebratory club game.

"The South Australian state jumper is pretty sacred," Kernahan told The Advertiser this afternoon.

The former Glenelg forward who kicked 10 goals for SA in an Origin clash with Victoria at Football Park in 1984 added: "State team jumpers are for State team players. The South Australian jumper is for South Australians. It is meant for SA, not the Crows.

"I understand the Crows were the first SA team in the national competition and they are a big part of SA football. And, by the way, Port Adelaide has also added to that.

"But my father wore that state jumper to represent SA. So did I. So did many others. That jumper is sacred in my books.

"I spoke to (Collingwood president) Eddie McGuire today and suggested Carlton might wear the Big V in a heritage game. You can imagine the reaction. Clubs don't get to wear state jumpers."

Kernahan also questioned why the Crows did not engage Port Adelaide in talks on how to honour SA football in the return to the redeveloped Adelaide Oval next month.

"If you want to do something to acknowledge the history of SA football on Adelaide Oval, surely you get both clubs involved and work something out together," Kernahan said.

The decision is certain to use a jumper designed to unite South Australians in football has divided state opinion. It also is certain to annoy the Port Adelaide Football Club, a founding member of the SANFL in 1877.

Smart said yesterday of any reaction from Port Adelaide: "I don't care."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...howdown-guernsey/story-fni5f4l8-1226818767749

To be honest, I find it kind of hilarious that you are so angry about this. So angry that you seriously attempted to blame your club's PR disaster on the PAFC.

Where were these blokes when we wore the yellow 1930's version a few years back.

Why do you think calling us 'Powder' supporters is offensive in the slightest?What is completely lost on you (many others, too) is that the SoO guernsey is a symbol of unification. It didn't matter who you were or who you played for; in SoO you were playing for South Australia. For the AFC to wear the SoO guernsey, to me, is a ridiculous concept all together. The AFC is not and has not ever been a state team. To wear it against a fellow South Australian club is a clear act of one-upmanship, a childish attempt to outdo the PAFC and goes completely against the notion that SoO football represented. You can blame the SANFL all you like, but the onus is on YOUR club.

If the "main bitching and squealing came from" the PAFC, please help me to better understand the following information. I googled 'Adelaide guernsey', the first results is as follows:

At 6.30pm the Crows flew the white flag on their web site by announcing: "The SANFL has rescinded approval for us to wear a version of the SA guernsey.''

It came after some of the greatest SA footballers to wear the coveted guernsey had voiced their displeasure with the proposed jumper when speaking to The Advertiser.

Former greats such as Mark Naley, Garry McIntosh, Peter Motley, and John Platten slammed the plan and talkback continued to be in overdrive until the SANFL acted.

McIntosh summed it up: "If you're trying to get one up on Port, beat them when you play them,'' he said. "Beating them in the boardroom doesn't count.

"That's what happens when people in bullshit castles make bullshit decisions.''

Carlton champ Mark Naley, a Fos Williams medallist who cherishes his jumpers from 17 state games, was of a similar mind.

"How dare they,'' he said of the plan.

"It'd be like Carlton wearing the big V because it has a big membership and the right colours.

"It's just ridiculous. I'm a Carlton person and I'd be against that.''

Motley, whose first state game was a famous drought-breaking game against the Big V at Victoria Park in 1983, called the Crows' plan a "farce''.

Platten said the plan would have devalued the state jumper and pointed out that state jumpers had to be earned, regardless of the sport.

Carlton president and SA Origin football hero Stephen Kernahan questioned how the SANFL could approve the Crows wearing the State jumper.

And he questioned if the AFL had set a precedent whereby Carlton could adopt the Victorian "Big V" state jumper in a celebratory club game.

"The South Australian state jumper is pretty sacred," Kernahan told The Advertiser this afternoon.

The former Glenelg forward who kicked 10 goals for SA in an Origin clash with Victoria at Football Park in 1984 added: "State team jumpers are for State team players. The South Australian jumper is for South Australians. It is meant for SA, not the Crows.

"I understand the Crows were the first SA team in the national competition and they are a big part of SA football. And, by the way, Port Adelaide has also added to that.

"But my father wore that state jumper to represent SA. So did I. So did many others. That jumper is sacred in my books.

"I spoke to (Collingwood president) Eddie McGuire today and suggested Carlton might wear the Big V in a heritage game. You can imagine the reaction. Clubs don't get to wear state jumpers."

Kernahan also questioned why the Crows did not engage Port Adelaide in talks on how to honour SA football in the return to the redeveloped Adelaide Oval next month.

"If you want to do something to acknowledge the history of SA football on Adelaide Oval, surely you get both clubs involved and work something out together," Kernahan said.

The decision is certain to use a jumper designed to unite South Australians in football has divided state opinion. It also is certain to annoy the Port Adelaide Football Club, a founding member of the SANFL in 1877.

Smart said yesterday of any reaction from Port Adelaide: "I don't care."

To be honest, I find it kind of hilarious that you are so angry about this. So angry that you seriously attempted to blame your club's PR disaster on the PAFC.
You do realise most of your post and quotes are worthless? Anyone who refers to a vic club wearing the big v doesn't have a clue and clearly can't grasp the situation. None of the vic clubs were born out of the whole state competition like the crows or west coast were, were they? The whole big v argument is so irrelevant it's not funny.

Kochie says he wants a unified celebration around the move to Adelaide Oval.

And yet I bet there will be a montage of "history" on the screens and I bet every single one of them will include the Magpies. Nothing said of the rivalries between other clubs not invloving Port, nor pictures from their great games at Adelaide Oval.

Make no mistake, Koch's outcry is not about us simply wearing the State jumper, it is about us using history in marketing. Port Adelaide use "history/heritage" as a point of differince to market their AFL franchise. Koch is protecting his brand by denying our link to the history of SA football.

It is a bit sad really, because us representing SA history could have reminded/educated people about the dominance that clubs like Norwood and Sturt had in the past. Particularly Sturt who are now a basket case, but were once a strong and respected club.

Us wearing the State jumper could have been about a retelling of SANFL history that is not Port Adelaide centric in the lead up to the mov back to AO, and Koch did not want this.

Just read McDermotts article on Adelaide now (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ll-south-aussies/story-fnia3m7u-1226821409582).

What he has simply done has supported mine and everyones arguments that he didn't even listen to what the crows had to say. He saw the jumper and chose not to listen in his own little anti crows sooky backyard that he loves to jump into everytime the crows do something remotely controversial.

Key quotes
"THE Adelaide Football Club's history is 24 years old. Be proud of it. Don't confuse it." - They didn't!

"The Crows are 24 years old and while they strive to be the "team for all South Australians" they never can be and never will be." - They don't expect to be, its a slogan!

"The Crows tried to influence that choice this week by laying claim to a history they had no relevance to and don a state jumper for their first game at Adelaide Oval in 2014." - This proves he didn't even listen and now looks like a fool!

"Public opinion said the Crows were drawing too long a bow by suggesting any direct link to the state jumper and the people spoke." - They did no such think to suggest a link to the state jumper. Again proves he has no idea.

You would have thought a print media outlet would vet pointless drivel but Rucci keeps getting printed so nothing surprises me anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every media person looks for a point of difference whether it be McDermot, Rucci , Walls or any of them. By being controversial against the a team which has the majority of supporters in the state where the paper is being written, creates interest even if its negative. Crows supporters have learnt not to get upset by anything Rucci writes anymore to the point where its almost laughable. The same attitude should be taken with McDermott. I think with Rucci he writes more crap about Port these days as he realises no normal crows supporter gives a shit what he writes and in fact, I dont think I have read a Rucci column in over 2 years and have started to do the same with McDermott(havent read the article you talk of and will not be). The lack of response will see him move onto something else that will get a reaction.

If anyone can answer that would be great, this is a little off topic but we have pretty much gone over everything else, so how big was state of origin really? I would of been just going into my teen years as the late 90s games happened and I don't remember it really having any impact.

For example I really have no hatred towards Victoria I go there to watch the footy its a nice place whatever. We have plenty in our team don't think of them any differently.

I just feel no need to see an SA team beat the Victorians or any of that stuff you hear about. I would easily take a grand final for the Crows over a decade of origin wins, I'd probably take a regular season game win over an origin win. I would likely watch with more interest in how our Victorian players were doing than to support someone returning to SA.

After we entered where did the game rate compared to a Crows win for people?

I don't think we will ever see the jumper back, especially with much importance.

State of origin was a concept entrenched in history as a way to establish the best footballing state. Since there was no national competition it was a way to get the best of the best onto the field. Sadly football is too demanding on the body in the modern era where fitness is of absolute paramount importance 24/7 year round.

You do realise most of your post and quotes are worthless? Anyone who refers to a vic club wearing the big v doesn't have a clue and clearly can't grasp the situation. None of the vic clubs were born out of the whole state competition like the crows or west coast were, were they? The whole big v argument is so irrelevant it's not funny.
how many players have represented the state? in Aussie Rules alone there would surely be hundreds.
we have quotes from maybe a dozen ex players which "proves" that everyone is against it.

I wonder how many ex players were called and said "meh....don't really care" or "yeah it's a great idea" whose quotes don't see the light of day.

Elizabeth High is not the best school in Adelaide. LOL, Why am I debating this with you? Dont you have other crims, sorry I meant fellow posters to chat with?

Really? Stereotyping is truly dragging it down to the lowest common denominator. I'm sure both boards would be better off without that. You might be surprised to find that there are many highly educated individuals on the PAFC board, as there are here, and hardly any of us visit relatives in prison on a weekend ;) In my experience those who need to bleat about having superior intelligence do so because it is not otherwise apparent to those they are conversing with.

State of origin was a concept entrenched in history as a way to establish the best footballing state. Since there was no national competition it was a way to get the best of the best onto the field. Sadly football is too demanding on the body in the modern era where fitness is of absolute paramount importance 24/7 year round.

No. State footy used to have players representing the state they were currently playing in. SOO is historically a recent development. Copied from rugby league I think.

how many players have represented the state? in Aussie Rules alone there would surely be hundreds.
we have quotes from maybe a dozen ex players which "proves" that everyone is against it.

I wonder how many ex players were called and said "meh....don't really care" or "yeah it's a great idea" whose quotes don't see the light of day.

The King, Neil Kerley, had absolutely no issue with it and thought it was a great idea to honour the past. (unfortunately the only people who put his opinion on the air was today tonight)

Would I be incorrect to think that - until recently - the SoO guernsey represented South Australia, not the SANFL? I'd assume that's right, since players like Kernahan, Platten, Bradley and Motley all represented South Australia whilst playing in the VFL/AFL. My point being that since you were born from the SANFL, the SoO guernsey is completely irrelevant to your club's history/heritage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back