News UPDATE: SANFL rescind approval for AFC using state style jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty pissed at the speed of the rescinding.

If the SANFL spent some time to hear the "against" argument, consider it properly without just melting in the spotlight I could stomach the decision a lot better.
But the way it all went down was quite pathetic. It's not like waiting a week would have made any difference.

I'd contest this. All I've heard is a few now-irrelevant ex-players trying to make a headline for themselves in the media by kicking up a stink, people attached to Port Adelaide, and a tiny fraction of Crows supporters speaking out against it. Of the people I've spoken to in the real world, almost every one was either a fan of wearing the guernsey, or just didn't really care either way.

I would wager that it would be a very small minority of SA footy pundits who were offended by the Crows wearing the guernsey. Of course, since the SANFL rolled over like a lame dog in less than 24 hours based on a few loud voices, I guess we'll never actually know.

My experience has been different and particularly from neutral observers. Mostly they see it as wrong that a team that is a big part of SA football history should be made to play against a team wearing the representative guernsey for the state team. The groundswell against was strong and the AFL and SANFL recognised it was only going to get worse so acted. I think you underestimate the proportion against it, not saying a majority, but a significant number of pissed off people needed appeasement.

Really dislike Cornes but I totally agree with him on this one. There is no other guernsey which celebrates our history more than the state guernsey.

It's funny that opposition supporters are more than happy to point out our history as a state-team when it suits their arguments. However when the club itself tries to acknowledge these roots, everybody kicks up a stink. The whole thing wreaks of hypocrisy.

My experience has been different and particularly from neutral observers. Mostly they see it as wrong that a team that is a big part of SA football history should be made to play against a team wearing the representative guernsey for the state team. The groundswell against was strong and the AFL and SANFL recognised it was only going to get worse so acted. I think you underestimate the proportion against it, not saying a majority, but a significant number of pissed off people needed appeasement.

Really dislike Cornes but I totally agree with him on this one. There is no other guernsey which celebrates our history more than the state guernsey.

It's funny that opposition supporters are more than happy to point out our history as a state-team when it suits their arguments. However when the club itself tries to acknowledge these roots, everybody kicks up a stink. The whole thing wreaks of hypocrisy.

You know what annoys me. No against it has even listened to the arguments for. Look at the comments on Adelaide now, they dismiss everything he says.

Spot on.

"State jumpers can't be worn by club teams"
Eagles in WA State Jumper in 2007

"State jumpers must be earned"
Celebs wearing the Big V in charity match.

"State jumpers are sacrosanct"
Peter Hellier can act a bufoon in the Big V

"Crows captains are Victorian and Victorians can't wear the State jumper"
Our SANFL side wears the state jumper, including Victorians..... as captain.

If all of those arguments are null and void, any ideslistic or emotional argument about the Crows wearing it vs Power is also null and void. There is no actual valid reason why the Crows shouldn't. There is this mythology about the jumper, but in reality there is little to no substance to it.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

If people were willing to have a discussion instead of whinge we could came to an agreement, weather it be state players names, no names, Crows names, share profits with charity, I wonder if Little Heroes were getting a slice would McDermott have been so worked up? probably not.

From 90% of people this wasn't about a jumper it was about taking away attention from this Port hand out.

Amazes me people still think you can actually have a sensible debate with a Port supporter. Have you met many of their supporters. Their former generation were swinging in trees.
Spot on.

"State jumpers can't be worn by club teams"
Eagles in WA State Jumper in 2007

"State jumpers must be earned"
Celebs wearing the Big V in charity match.

"State jumpers are sacrosanct"
Peter Hellier can act a bufoon in the Big V

"Crows captains are Victorian and Victorians can't wear the State jumper"
Our SANFL side wears the state jumper, including Victorians..... as captain.

If all of those arguments are null and void, any ideslistic or emotional argument about the Crows wearing it vs Power is also null and void. There is no actual valid reason why the Crows shouldn't. There is this mythology about the jumper, but in reality there is little to no substance to it.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Give it a rest. Stop bringing facts into the debate.

Amazes me people still think you can actually have a sensible debate with a Port supporter. Have you met many of their supporters. Their former generation were swinging in trees.

Just like in Planet of the Apes, humans evolved from Apes.

Adelaide Crows evolved from the SANFL, including port.

Port are the apes, crows are the humans. :)

If you post on the Port board and they disagree with you, they will give you a an infraction. Doesn't matter if you are polite and just offering a point of view.

Yes I got a day suspension and all I did was repeat a PAP statement about the Crows but I replaced "Crows" with "Port" and added a truism:

PAP: "Crows: no history, shit club"

Me: "Crows history = 2 AFL premierships, Port: history = 1 AFL premiership and countless Beggars Cups, shittier club"

On a serious note, I really cannot understand why I get a day's suspension for that - those f*** nazi poort moderators can go suck tredrea's co*k - and bathe in their torrent of sookie tears

As a Crows Member & old SANFL member I was a little uneasy seeing Scott Thompson pull on the state Guernsey.
That was until:
  • Port people said they were part of the SANFL at that time too
    • Yes and the very reason the Crows were born. Go back to that time and remember the sentiment toward them as a club.
  • The argument that a Victorian shouldn’t wear the jumper
    • State of Origan has gone, but our State team of late has been full of interstaters representing the Jumper.
At the end of the day the Crows filled stadiums in their infancy as we all got on board an AFL club representing this state.

Jumper should have been allowed

That's right....... Rucci, Tredders, Abernathy and Kochie make up their "own" facts.

There was a quote about Kernahan saying "Wa teams can't wear the state jumper" - it came up in the google search, but the linked article had it scrubbed. Anyone have a print version that it might have been printed in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the whole idea was done correctly, you are right that you may have gotten a better reception.

Frankly, if the crows:
  • Seek the permission of those they want to represent first, mainly the SANFL clubs and past players
  • Honour the heritage of the past players and the state comp with an actual celebration. Would have to be a home game to do this, but you'd need to have them parade around the ground, video tributes etc to the history
  • Inform the necessary stakeholders ahead of time
Do those things and even I may support it. Not just a hastily put together 'commercial opportunity' (Rob Chapman's words).

Frankly as soon as I heard I thought this is going to cause a shitstorm, then I was speaking to an SANFL club board member not long after who was flying off the handle that they knew nothing about it, and I knew it was going to end badly. There are many things Port has done in the last 7 or 8 years that have made me cringe and die a little inside. This would have been one of them had we done something similarly.
important issue for me in the inability of the crows management to conduct themselves with good business acumen. Seriously amateurish & I sadly don't believe they have the ability for their roles.

If the commercial aspect did not exist or was properly communicated & signed off by all parties we would have had a solid footing

If we were using the jumper in our 1st home game not against port I doubt it would have been such an issue.

The main issue is not the jumper because if we used it in a non port game to celebrate our heritage without the commercials I doubt there would have been a huge backlash.

Poor management of the process gave opposition excuses to shoot down the proposal.

The heritage jumper concept is a funny one. One I've never quite understood.

Nothing represents the heritage of the Crows more than the jumper we wore in two winning premierships and two massive preliminary finals. The same guernsey we wear today. We also wore it in our very first game, if you want to go even further back.

In fact, the Crows have NEVER won a final in anything other than this jumper. What does that tell you? Can you get a better "heritage" jumper than that?

If a heritage jumper has such symbolic significance, wouldn't you want to wear it every week? Why just wheel it out once every few years? The answer is that it is not significant. It's a gimmick. And gimmicks don't go with heritage. The kybosh has been put on the state jumper, and we won't make a few bucks. Fine. Let's not design some other piece of crap just to say we are wearing a heritage jumper.

Our heritage is our hoops jumper, the one we've worn since day dot and the one we still wear today. Embrace it. Promote it. It's the best jumper in the competition.

I think you have summed it up well. There is no doubt in my mind many of these people have reacted emotionally and IMO put way too much stock in a symbol, being the jumper, but nevertheless they feel that way, and frankly it should have been obvious to Smart and co that this would happen.

You mean the Crows first game surely? The part where if you wanted to celebrate your "history" you would do so at a home game with your own fans and some kind of motorcade before hand. The more rational of your board posters have seen it for what it is so I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you if they can't.

Actually its the Power's second game at Adelaide Oval and it will be our first. Killa

Just saw the back of the tiser in a cafe. Is Rooch suggesting it would be ok for us to wear the red yellow blue and white stripes against Hawthorn.

Wasn't that the State jumper of the early 80s?
Correct. This isn't really about the jumper.

Rooch's main concern has been to remind everyone he is back after his 3 month holiday.

Smart and the afc seriously underestimated the reaction to his overplaying the rivalry card. It was pretty obvious he was trying to drum up feeling in the first game but it did sound over the top. Unfortunately his disinterest in the port reaction was to work against him and this became Rooches personal crusade. Does anyone truelly believe Rooch would care less about the state jumper? I doubt this was his only motivation to lead the condemnation against what at the most was a dumb attitude from Nigel. Rooch got what he wanted, headlines, national exposure for his articles and to push his barrow as a stalwart of Port Adelaide.
One thing that wasn't mentioned too much was the fact that between the two of then Nigel had worn the state guernsey and was more qualified to speak his mind than some unheralded journo from the Advertiser.

Correct. This isn't really about the jumper.

Rooch's main concern has been to remind everyone he is back after his 3 month holiday.

Kane, I feel that you are a much better poster than for you to honestly believe that, it is about the jumper!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back