VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

We buy them from a famous bakery Mollie Denes in Bentleigh for about $7 and sell for $8 i think , but they are very full .
A mate was at Barwon Heads yesterday and sent me a pic of a Burger with the lot for $10 , i think Parkdale are about the same . Parkside had egg and bacon rolls for $11.50 which is probably 2 bucks too much .
Clubs have to make money , but those 2 examples are over the top.
15% markup is a bit steep. No justification for that.

Very sad news regarding the passing of the late Ross Booth, former VAFA representative player and later VAFA Board member for more than 30 years. Will also be remembered for his commentary on the ABC's coverage of VFA/VFL football.
Vale Ross. In the conversation as the best Monash Blues player ever and a terrific bloke. Skipper in our best side in A Grade.

15% markup is a bit steep. No justification for that.

We buy them from a famous bakery Mollie Denes in Bentleigh for about $7 and sell for $8 i think , but they are very full .
A mate was at Barwon Heads yesterday and sent me a pic of a Burger with the lot for $10 , i think Parkdale are about the same . Parkside had egg and bacon rolls for $11.50 which is probably 2 bucks too much .
Clubs have to make money , but those 2 examples are over the top.
It’s understandable. Clubs need money, but $11.50 for an egg and bacon roll is extortion with a markup of $10.25, or 820%.

With sponsors, the roll should cost the club 50c, a piece of bacon or ham 25C, and 50c for the googie. Most supporters would be happy with $5.00, and that’s a markup of $3.75 or 300%, fair and reasonable for the club with supporters happy to pay. $6 would also be fair.

With (say) $6, I would probably go back for seconds, but with $11.50, no way!

It’s understandable. Clubs need money, but $11.50 for an egg and bacon roll is extortion with a markup of $10.25, or 820%.

With sponsors, the roll should cost the club 50c, a piece of bacon or ham 25C, and 50c for the googie. Most supporters would be happy with $5.00, and that’s a markup of $3.75 or 300%, fair and reasonable for the club with supporters happy to pay. $6 would also be fair.

With (say) $6, I would probably go back for seconds, but with $11.50, no way!
What about the $15 ham and salad or chicken and mayo . You can buy a whole cooked chook for $15

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about the $15 ham and salad or chicken and mayo . You can buy a whole cooked chook for $15
You’re right Bedders. A cooked chook at Woolworths and Coles is $12, but half if it’s bought uncooked at Steggles or a similar outlet.

In my oven, I can cook at least a dozen in 45 minutes, which would cost me about 65c in electricity.

Each chook should provide each roll with a generous helping and mayo isn’t expensive, and even cheaper if a club volunteer makes it. That means it’s free. Same for gravy.

Many (smart) clubs have arrangements with local bakers and/or supermarkets. Therefore, yesterday’s rolls are generally free.

HENCE, 12 chooks @ $6 each (big ones too) into 200 (free) rolls = $72.

200 X $15 = $3000.

Selling them for $10, much fairer = $2000 (gross).

Clubs with a good culture have the volunteers to enable such actions, support their supporters with value, and serve any canteen leftovers to both teams post-game.

You’re right Bedders. A cooked chook at Woolworths and Coles is $12, but half if it’s bought uncooked at Steggles or a similar outlet.

In my oven, I can cook at least a dozen in 45 minutes, which would cost me about 65c in electricity.

Each chook should provide each roll with a generous helping and mayo isn’t expensive, and even cheaper if a club volunteer makes it. That means it’s free. Same for gravy.

Many (smart) clubs have arrangements with local bakers and/or supermarkets. Therefore, yesterday’s rolls are generally free.

HENCE, 12 chooks @ $6 each (big ones too) into 200 (free) rolls = $72.

200 X $15 = $3000.

Selling them for $10, much fairer = $2000 (gross).

Clubs with a good culture have the volunteers to enable such actions, support their supporters with value, and serve any canteen leftovers to both teams post-game.
That's a fair summary . The rolls were small as well

Vale Ross. In the conversation as the best Monash Blues player ever and a terrific bloke. Skipper in our best side in A Grade.
In regards to the late Ross Booth's contribution as a VAFA Executive/Board member, he was the Chairman of the Media sub-committee on the VAFA Executive, and one of his decisions was to convince the Executive to allow TV and radio coverage of VAFA matches, with firstly Optus Local Vision and Channel 31, and also with 96.5 Inner FM. While the TV coverage lasted only 3 years, 96.5 Inner FM went on to cover VAFA football until 2018.

Free of charge at parade yesterday and you should have seen the 3000 strong crowd there, even with the rain, and the after-match was packed. Imagine the takings in the canteen and the bar at Parade compared to to say Melbourne High, Kew or even A grade club like Collegians! Heard a rumour that $18k taken over the bar at a NFL club in one full day!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unreal numbers crowd wise, But would any VAFA clubs want every single bloke at the game pissed out of their mind, probably not,

Very few would be "pissed out of their mind" actually ... things have changed since the days of the six o'clock swill.

Fair, I dunno, i've played at both EFL, SFL and VAFA clubs and I can see positives for no alcohol/alcohol from both sides, VAFA clubs definitely still sell it, and incidents without it still happen (see hawthorn/elsternwick) last year)

Some clubs rely on it to provide money+atmosphere which is my gripe

Unreal numbers crowd wise, But would any VAFA clubs want every single bloke at the game pissed out of their mind, probably not,
Have you genuinely been to a match where the serve beers? Do you think its some sort of scene of of "Once were warriors" where people just punch on for fun?

Have you genuinely been to a match where the serve beers? Do you think its some sort of scene of of "Once were warriors" where people just punch on for fun?

Yes mate, poor writing by me, I actually was referring to the 18k put behind the bar claim, law of averages tells you the majority of people there are pissed.

Not attacking leagues who offer it, understand they make a good amount of their income from it, having been around the twist for 15+ years I'm okay on the VAFA's decision to restrict it.

i agree with this comment and this year in NFL, I haven't heard of any complaints about bad crowd behavior, and as previous comments, the atmosphere 10 times better than a VAFA crowd. As an official, I always feel 100%!

Yes mate, poor writing by me, I actually was referring to the 18k put behind the bar claim, law of averages tells you the majority of people there are pissed.

Not attacking leagues who offer it, understand they make a good amount of their income from it, having been around the twist for 15+ years I'm okay on the VAFA's decision to restrict it.
That was my comment and yes I was officiating at that game where they had a triple header leading into night game where crowd was very well behaved and about 3000 strong, and didnt see any pissed peeps!

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back