VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Another day and another club has withdrawn their thirds team. This time Beaumaris in the Thirds Div 1 comp.

VAFA discussed re-fixturing the comp for what must be the 3rd time this year alone. With only 5 games to go just leave it be.

Another day and another club has withdrawn their thirds team. This time Beaumaris in the Thirds Div 1 comp.

VAFA discussed re-fixturing the comp for what must be the 3rd time this year alone. With only 5 games to go just leave it be.
Potentially the least shocking thing I've heard all year.

Just put Xavier in Div 1 from Div 2 (10-0, percentage of 400%) and be done with it.

Thirds GlenEira flogged by Old Mentonians. Former premier c grade side v a few boys wanting a kick. Where is this fair. Same with Xavier. GE were put up a division for who knows why to be flogged by Mentone that should at least be in d1 of the thirds.

Thirds GlenEira flogged by Old Mentonians. Former premier c grade side v a few boys wanting a kick. Where is this fair. Same with Xavier. GE were put up a division for who knows why to be flogged by Mentone that should at least be in d1 of the thirds.
giphy.gif

Potentially the least shocking thing I've heard all year.

Just put Xavier in Div 1 from Div 2 (10-0, percentage of 400%) and be done with it.
You can’t seriously be suggesting OX would have to play each other in a social football league? Preposterous!

They have before and the rules allow it - why gift them premierships in social grades as you say?
I think he's being silly, but yeah, it's absolutely putrid. Every conversation I have had with other captains in the division I am involved in have been the same - we are playing for second. From conversations we have had with the CEO and other members of the VAFA, it's all about INTEGRITY, but now that statement is truly laughable. I'm glad a few clubs have pulled out of the thirds comp altogether, and I think more will next year if the same shit continues. These hollow premierships might fill up their trophy cabinets, but it will impact the VAFA for a long time to come. It's so disappointing because the Thirds comp is so good for footy - young guys with only a bit of experience, older fellas prolonging their playing days to help out the club, but taking away any hope of winning is just kind of sucky.

Next year:

Premier should be Xavs x three plus Premier clubs - 12

Then another Xavs team can play somewhere else, but it means that we aren't punished for them having four teams in four different comps - they're the only club with more than two teams so this is pretty much common sense for me - cap their flags at two and be done with it. Their guys still get to play, they get to play against more competitive sides, which is ultimately more fun and better for the Xavs for feeding up to their seniors and reserves, and it gives us peasants a chance to win.

Last edited:
I think he's being silly, but yeah, it's absolutely putrid. Every conversation I have had with other captains in the division I am involved in have been the same - we are playing for second. From conversations we have had with the CEO and other members of the VAFA, it's all about INTEGRITY, but now that statement is truly laughable. I'm glad a few clubs have pulled out of the thirds comp altogether, and I think more will next year if the same shit continues. These hollow premierships might fill up their trophy cabinets, but it will impact the VAFA for a long time to come. It's so disappointing because the Thirds comp is so good for footy - young guys with only a bit of experience, older fellas prolonging their playing days to help out the club, but taking away any hope of winning is just kind of sucky.

Next year:

Premier should be Xavs x three plus Premier clubs - 12

Then another Xavs team can play somewhere else, but it means that we aren't punished for them having four teams in four different comps - they're the only club with more than two teams so this is pretty much common sense for me - cap their flags at two and be done with it. Their guys still get to play, they get to play against more competitive sides, which is ultimately more fun and better for the Xavs for feeding up to their seniors and reserves, and it gives us peasants a chance to win.
XavsWAFL to win Reserves and Three Thirds Premierships

(Log in to remove this ad.)

XavsWAFL to win Reserves and Three Thirds Premierships
VAFA Rule 14

14. A Club which is represented by more than one team in a Section shall be considered as two Clubs of that Section and each such Club shall have the same rights, privileges and obligations as every other Club represented in such Section.

Clear that the VAFA chose the easy way out. They had the ability to use the grading period and competitive balance to place O Xavs in higher thirds sections on the basis of integrity BUT failed. Poor form again - all it needed was the footy ops department to roll up the sleeves and work through it! CEO/Admin can try to spin it any way they like but they had an opportunity to go into bat for many clubs to make it fairer but >>>>>> Why didn't they is the question to be asked.

VAFA Rule 14

14. A Club which is represented by more than one team in a Section shall be considered as two Clubs of that Section and each such Club shall have the same rights, privileges and obligations as every other Club represented in such Section.

Clear that the VAFA chose the easy way out. They had the ability to use the grading period and competitive balance to place O Xavs in higher thirds sections on the basis of integrity BUT failed. Poor form again - all it needed was the footy ops department to roll up the sleeves and work through it! CEO/Admin can try to spin it any way they like but they had an opportunity to go into bat for many clubs to make it fairer but >>>>>> Why didn't they is the question to be asked.
Everyone else can see it ! well said

VAFA Rule 14

Roll up the sleeves and work through it…..

What? grade them as individual teams and if they play each other bad luck…

Add OX Div 3 percentage 851 !!
Ruining the grades ..

We had them in Div 1 last week, after having just fallen a couple of goals short at BSO at the start of the season, a whole new side rocked up, half of their blokes listed with PP. Meanwhile we are there or thereabouts (and have been for a while) sitting equal third on wins but only two former 1s/2s in their late 30s with PP. Got done by 50.

Add to that the forfeits, withdrawals and division consolidation meaning we've gone from a six team league to 10, nine, eight and now possibly seven if Collegians are pulling the pin on the whole shebang (hopefully it's only for this weekend...)

Even at the height of Covid lockdowns things weren't this volatile in Thirds clubland.

Canteen watch after the Kew $15 ham and salad rolls , Therry rolled out some beautiful fresh ones at $6.50 good variety as well
Hope the canteen is open for the Thirds tomorrow night Bedders. I'll even have a beer with you after the game if you're there.

Hope the canteen is open for the Thirds tomorrow night Bedders. I'll even have a beer with you after the game if you're there.
what was the end result from Clubbies game Ormond v Brunswick Friday night game where West Brunswick supporter (woman) jumped fence and belted Ormond Player?

Worthy of almost footy legend prize!

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back