A Section VAFA Premier 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent a few hours at Elsternwick Park. OC reserves the weakest I have seen. The main game was non competitive. OM played well and OC no system. Clearly OC have some very good players but it does drop away. Concern is that OM's will probably not play finals. OC definite relegation.

Ah-ha..so it was the picketed parkvillians that we’re thrown into the pit of despair by the mighty fighting Snowdogs. 2 losses in a row. And they play the SKOBafl machine next week in what should be a ring dinger of a match. 3 losses in a row and things may get ugly down there. Imagine if their crowds dried up and were halved due to poor form. That would mean only 6 people would turn up. Would they open the canteen? Team of champions vs a champion team. The heat will be on if they drop this one. Interesting times ahead.
Xavs flex their ever growing muscles.
The Gazmen flog the pitiful Panthers.
The Purple machine marches on. The fight for 2nd place is not a two horse race between Blues and SKOBafl they say.
SKOBafl get over the line against a very very good team that will be stiff to be relegated. Hedge burners will have to beat De La on the way home or they are destined for the dreaded drop.
Latest Odds:
SKOBafl -$2.60
Xavs - $2.70
Blues - $3.50
Wesley - $8.50
Melbourne - $25.00
Brighton - $50.00
Snowdogs - $50.00
Del La - $200.00
Trinity - $200.00
Carey - $500.00

Last edited:

Shaun Edwards to join Uni Blues next weekend is the word....another move that will endear them to the rest of the comp...what a soulless pitiful mob they are...great to see a VAFA team of substance in the snow dogs do a number on them yesterday in the 2nd half...i haven't met one VAFA person who wasn't celebrating that result last night...

Shaun Edwards to join Uni Blues next weekend is the word....another move that will endear them to the rest of the comp...what a soulless pitiful mob they are...great to see a VAFA team of substance in the snow dogs do a number on them yesterday in the 2nd half...i haven't met one VAFA person who wasn't celebrating that result last night...
As an occasional visitor to this forum I am intrigued by the almost universal disdain for Uni Blues. Can someone please explain the reasons/background for this fairly entrenched dislike?

As an occasional visitor to this forum I am intrigued by the almost universal disdain for Uni Blues. Can someone please explain the reasons/background for this fairly entrenched dislike?
I'll take you through it...
1. They carry on like they've won 20 A Grade Flags but they've only won 3....and Uni Blacks have won 13 and are so much more humble and just a better club..
2. In the last 20 years i've never seen a bunch of players mouth of more on the field when they are winning and then go silent when the pressure comes on in big games....they've lost 8 of their last 9 A Grade finals....its farkin embarrassing....
3. They show no respect for other sides in the competition when you listen to their players, coaches or presidents speak...i'll admit it has got better this year but prior to that the arrogance has been atrocious and picked up and used by all other A Grade clubs....

Can't wait to watch them bubble another finals series this year....no fabric to them at all....

1. They carry on like they've won 20 A Grade Flags but they've only won 3....and Uni Blacks have won 13 and are so much more humble and just a better club..
2. In the last 20 years i've never seen a bunch of players mouth of more on the field when they are winning and then go silent when the pressure comes on in big games....they've lost 8 of their last 9 A Grade finals....its farkin embarrassing....
3. They show no respect for other sides in the competition when you listen to their players, coaches or presidents speak...i'll admit it has got better this year but prior to that the arrogance has been atrocious and picked up and used by all other A Grade clubs....

Can't wait to watch them bubble another finals series this year....no fabric to them at all....

WOW! He hasn't missed them there! I also think the fact their supporters rarely support the opposition aftermatch.

WOW! He hasn't missed them there! I also think the fact their supporters rarely support the opposition aftermatch.
Thanks guys for providing some perspective.

Why does there need to be 2 in the first place , can I get some history please . What I find strange is the jumpers , surely they can be different .

Very briefly - Post WWI uni didn’t apply to get back into the VFL(whether or not they were told not to is another question). They were then asked to field two teams in the VFL reserves, which begat the Blues and Blacks.

I personally don’t understand the angst on this board towards Blues. I hate all other clubs equally. Except Scotch of course.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very briefly - Post WWI uni didn’t apply to get back into the VFL(whether or not they were told not to is another question). They were then asked to field two teams in the VFL reserves, which begat the Blues and Blacks.

I personally don’t understand the angst on this board towards Blues. I hate all other clubs equally. Except Scotch of course.

Yes I don't hate them, I've always just found they have more than the average quota of flogs amongst them and very few great blokes it seems. Whilst many of us dislike the opposition, we still respect the fact there are great people amongst each of the clubs. I just don't see that with Blues. And you can't use the Uni excuse, as Blacks are the polar opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uni Blues issues start from the top..The Pres is a "flog" (dont know if he is bald or not). Mad Lion didnt hard enough.....
2 losses in last 2 games is no big deal to their prospects..they have points in the bank and will finish in top 3. Wait till finals,
should they miss the GF, watch the Ammo folk en mass dancing on their grave...

In the summer of 1919, after the War, Melbourne University began to rebuild its football involvement. Deciding not to reapply for a position in the VFL, they were instead requested by the VFL to supply two teams to the newly formed VFL Reserves competition, or the Victorian Junior Football League. These two teams were initially called University A and B, but soon became known as "University Blues" and "University Blacks", respectively (the teams were only officially called the Blues and Blacks in 1930). The Blues contested the 1919 and 1920 VJFL Grand Finals, losing to Collingwood on both occasions; the Blacks, who joined the 1919 VJFL season only at short notice when Melbourne was unable to organise its own junior team,[5] moved to the Metropolitan Amateur Football Association in 1920, and the following season, were joined by the Blues. Both contested the 1921 MAFA Grand Final, with the Blacks winning what to date is the only grand final the two teams have contested in the MAFA or VAFA.

Melbourne University students and alumni continue to maintain their involvement in football through the Blues and Blacks. The Melbourne University Football Club is unique in that it only plays as "Melbourne University" in inter-university matches, and its regular weekly competition is provided through its component teams, University Blues and University Blacks. The Blues and Blacks play in the Victorian Amateur Football Association, and have been a perennial power in the highest division of a high-standard amateur competition.

Up until the 1950s, the Blacks were the leading University side as well as one of the dominant sides in the Amateur competition, winning 11 A Section premierships by 1949. However, in the later part of the century the Blues established themselves as the premier University side, and are currently the longest serving club to play in the top division of the VAFA.

The Blacks have won a total of 14 A section flags (their most recent in 2014 & the most in the VAFA).The Blues have won a total of 3 A section flags (with their most recent being in 2004).

Throughout their history, the Blues and Blacks have often played together in A section of the MAFA/VAFA, and with the Blacks return to A section in 2008 after a prolonged absence, the teams met again for the first time in 25 years. In head to head matches, the Blues lead the win tally with 43 wins to the Black's 36 and one draw. The Blacks and the Blues added to their head to head history in 2015 after the Blues won promotion after only one year in B section in 2014. Unfortunately the Blacks dropped to B in 2018.

Both teams have consistently been a spawning ground for young players who go on to the AFL. To date 240 MUFC players have played in the VFL/AFL competition. Latest is Daniel Nicholson (Melbourne 2011)

From 1955 until 1996, an additional team was fielded by the club called "University Reds" which competed in the lower sections of the VAFA with a firsts and reserves team. When the team was discontinued by the club, players and supporters of the team decided to keep the team operating and it continues to this day as Fitzroy Reds. The Fitzroy Reds merged with the Fitzroy Football Club in 2008.

Max "Wiki" Leader

Uni Blues issues start from the top..The Pres is a "flog" (dont know if he is bald or not). Mad Lion didnt hard enough.....
2 losses in last 2 games is no big deal to their prospects..they have points in the bank and will finish in top 3. Wait till finals,
should they miss the GF, watch the Ammo folk en mass dancing on their grave...

A little birdie told me that a Collegians President had the same reputation. Seems quite a few in the Vafa are the same , it’s all about them .

Uni Blue are an interesting lot. Just cannot put my finger on it but they just seem to be a club frequented by a disproportionate number of ordinary blokes. The mystery is that the club that shares the ground, jumper and Uni name is the exact opposite. Rarely see a Blues player, official or supporter at the post-match, even at their own ground.

On talent alone they should be almost unbeatable this year (and probably last year as well) but I won't be putting my hard earned on them. Not sure if this has any relevance but when not loading up on ex AFL players I am told that Blues tend to recruit from Geelong and the Western District while Blacks country lads are usually from the North and North East.

And GI note sure who your little Birdie is but most would say they are wrong. The current Collegians pres. and the incumbent both good blokes and universally recognised as such across the comp.

Boy o boy! Huge weekend. Joey Pigz - kudos. I’ll be the first to admit I thought the Blues were home n hosed...that’s why we love the VAFA - terrific club the Bernard’s.

A few too many blow outs for my liking, especially towards the mid way point of the season, the severe lack of depth of the weaker clubs is exposed. Thoughts on an 8 team comp?

Also, early tips for the Woodrow? No standout favorite for mine

I've always had a healthy fun rivalry with Blues in the 2's & 3's out the back at Crawford Oval (The home of 3rds footy) ... Their facilities at Uni oval are the envy of many VAFA clubs, those rooms are AFL standard & having had dealings with them this season, with the radio coverage they've been nothing but exceptional with making their President, coaches, assistant coaches, injured players available for us to speak to - On Saturday night at the Snakepit a majority were up in the rooms post game until well after 6pm having a beer with the Bernies boys

On the field, let's talk about what their loss has done to the top 4, top 2 spot opens up for St Kevin's this Saturday! Mitch Brown back in the 1's? Surely.

Interesting question from First Time Long Time about 8 teams, my way of thinking is to go with 12 teams - Scotch & Caulfield in Prem B standouts this year, Blacks have fallen away in the last month.

As for Woodrow, he might have had a quieter game than normal on the weekend but I'm leaning to Ayce going back to back

Boy o boy! Huge weekend. Joey Pigz - kudos. I’ll be the first to admit I thought the Blues were home n hosed...that’s why we love the VAFA - terrific club the Bernard’s.

A few too many blow outs for my liking, especially towards the mid way point of the season, the severe lack of depth of the weaker clubs is exposed. Thoughts on an 8 team comp?

Also, early tips for the Woodrow? No standout favorite for mine

With eight teams comes a plethora of fixturing problems. Is the season shortened to 14 H/A games? Or do certain teams play one another three times? (Imagine the fuss the Gazmen or SKOBAFL would kick up if they got a tougher draw than others ;)).

Gus Borthwick from OM's will win the Woodrow Medal. Take it to the bank and invest your life savings in him.

I overhead one man say recently: "The VAFA is like that girl you see on weekends, beautiful, eccentric and heaps of fun. You wouldn't change a thing.."

FTLOTG

45 /

Last edited:
I've always had a healthy fun rivalry with Blues in the 2's & 3's out the back at Crawford Oval (The home of 3rds footy) ... Their facilities at Uni oval are the envy of many VAFA clubs, those rooms are AFL standard & having had dealings with them this season, with the radio coverage they've been nothing but exceptional with making their President, coaches, assistant coaches, injured players available for us to speak to - On Saturday night at the Snakepit a majority were up in the rooms post game until well after 6pm having a beer with the Bernies boys

On the field, let's talk about what their loss has done to the top 4, top 2 spot opens up for St Kevin's this Saturday! Mitch Brown back in the 1's? Surely.

Interesting question from First Time Long Time about 8 teams, my way of thinking is to go with 12 teams - Scotch & Caulfield in Prem B standouts this year, Blacks have fallen away in the last month.

As for Woodrow, he might have had a quieter game than normal on the weekend but I'm leaning to Ayce going back to back

Ever stood under the"new" stand / shelter in front of the rooms when it was raining. You may as well stood out in
You must be new around here... :D

Yes.......very new!!!

In the summer of 1919, after the War, Melbourne University began to rebuild its football involvement. Deciding not to reapply for a position in the VFL, they were instead requested by the VFL to supply two teams to the newly formed VFL Reserves competition, or the Victorian Junior Football League. These two teams were initially called University A and B, but soon became known as "University Blues" and "University Blacks", respectively (the teams were only officially called the Blues and Blacks in 1930). The Blues contested the 1919 and 1920 VJFL Grand Finals, losing to Collingwood on both occasions; the Blacks, who joined the 1919 VJFL season only at short notice when Melbourne was unable to organise its own junior team,[5] moved to the Metropolitan Amateur Football Association in 1920, and the following season, were joined by the Blues. Both contested the 1921 MAFA Grand Final, with the Blacks winning what to date is the only grand final the two teams have contested in the MAFA or VAFA.

Melbourne University students and alumni continue to maintain their involvement in football through the Blues and Blacks. The Melbourne University Football Club is unique in that it only plays as "Melbourne University" in inter-university matches, and its regular weekly competition is provided through its component teams, University Blues and University Blacks. The Blues and Blacks play in the Victorian Amateur Football Association, and have been a perennial power in the highest division of a high-standard amateur competition.

Up until the 1950s, the Blacks were the leading University side as well as one of the dominant sides in the Amateur competition, winning 11 A Section premierships by 1949. However, in the later part of the century the Blues established themselves as the premier University side, and are currently the longest serving club to play in the top division of the VAFA.

The Blacks have won a total of 14 A section flags (their most recent in 2014 & the most in the VAFA).The Blues have won a total of 3 A section flags (with their most recent being in 2004).

Throughout their history, the Blues and Blacks have often played together in A section of the MAFA/VAFA, and with the Blacks return to A section in 2008 after a prolonged absence, the teams met again for the first time in 25 years. In head to head matches, the Blues lead the win tally with 43 wins to the Black's 36 and one draw. The Blacks and the Blues added to their head to head history in 2015 after the Blues won promotion after only one year in B section in 2014. Unfortunately the Blacks dropped to B in 2018.

Both teams have consistently been a spawning ground for young players who go on to the AFL. To date 240 MUFC players have played in the VFL/AFL competition. Latest is Daniel Nicholson (Melbourne 2011)

From 1955 until 1996, an additional team was fielded by the club called "University Reds" which competed in the lower sections of the VAFA with a firsts and reserves team. When the team was discontinued by the club, players and supporters of the team decided to keep the team operating and it continues to this day as Fitzroy Reds. The Fitzroy Reds merged with the Fitzroy Football Club in 2008.

Max "Wiki" Leader

RDO today Max?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back