VB (inc. achilles injury discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

I would suggest one of the captains duties are to Marshall the troops when things are going poorly on field.
We had quite a few of those "moments" this year where we lost the unloseable and it seems our on field leadership goes missing during those periods. I know sometimes a stupid bounce of the ball was involved and you could hardly blame VB for that but it happened far too often I think to ignore.
Perhaps his role as a shutdown player doesn't allow him to concentrate on his role as captain.

I don't care, you spin a lot of crap. 'unity of the playing group'? Ok, I'll tell you if I think it's important if you tell me how you measure it and then how you determine how much of it is attributable to the captain.

So you don't care if in a conversation you're randomly blurting out statements unrelated to that which came before?

So you don't care if in a conversation you're randomly blurting out statements unrelated to that which came before?

I asked a direct question. But it's ok, I know that you can't answer it. If you want me to answer your questions directly, you'll need to demonstrate that you have a method of reliably evaluating my response. You and I both know that you are just filled with hot air and little substance on this matter. I await your next deflection.

I do hope that the role of Captain of our club is put up for debate as soon as possible & even though VB has done his best we do need someone who can lead by example regularly on the field of play.

Who knows releasing VB of the captaincy could work in his/our favour where it matters the most.

I asked a direct question. But it's ok, I know that you can't answer it. If you want me to answer your questions directly, you'll need to demonstrate that you have a method of reliably evaluating my response. You and I both know that you are just filled with hot air and little substance on this matter. I await your next deflection.

What part of:

'I don't care, you spin a lot of crap. 'unity of the playing group'? Ok, I'll tell you if I think it's important if you tell me how you measure it and then how you determine how much of it is attributable to the captain. '

Was actually a direct question? That you want unity of the playing group explained?

What part of:

'I don't care, you spin a lot of crap. 'unity of the playing group'? Ok, I'll tell you if I think it's important if you tell me how you measure it and then how you determine how much of it is attributable to the captain. '

Was actually a direct question? That you want unity of the playing group explained?

Comprehension not a strong point? I understand the value of unity as much as I understand the risk attached to a unified group satisfied with mediocrity. What I asked from you is that if we accept it is an important measure of the value of a captain, how do you quantify that value and how do you determine how much of it is attributable directly to the function of captaincy. So I accept your premise, now explain your method of quantifying it. If you can't, then there is no point having a measurable that cannot be measured.

I'm not going to engage with the repeated strawman argument that I've requested quantification. Not all measures are quantitative.

How would I assess the unity of the playing group? Valid question. It would be a difficult thing to really know without being in the inner sanctum.

I would suggest that perhaps it would be assessed by looking at the events which occur during the captaincy, for example does the playing group split into 'factions'? Do you have clear examples of disunity? An example of a failure in this would respect would be Collingwood this year. (although it's harsh to put that all against the captain, given that the club higher ups developed that situation themselves).

Or collingwood is actually a very unified outfit. Perhaps the members of the group who wouldn't sign up to the expectations have been isolated from the group and are being moved on. I'd see that as a greater sign of striving for success than the 'we're all happy, we all love it here' scenario.

So you are happy to assess someone's efficacy against a criteria that admit that you can't measure. You've probably spent a bit if time reading books without putting the knowledge into practice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's because Dangerfield spends his offseasons in Victoria, and is near enough to pop in for some Melbourne based media. Van Berlo does not base himself in Victoria during the offseason.

If Polec comes to us you won't see Dangerfield with him.
He's probably doing it as part of his marketing role, so the AFC can pay him as part of their "Additional Service Agreement" - a $700k slush fund for paying players for doing marketing roles for the club outside of the salary cap. My guess is that half of that slush fund would be allocated to Dangerfield, payment for becoming as the public face of the club.

Has plenty to do with it, and will happen this year.

Friendly wager on who will be our Captain next year?
There is no doubt that Dangerfield has become the public face of the club. Not unexpected - he's our best player, good looking and has well groomed PR skills. He's also our most highly paid player (assumption).

One way the club has of paying him outside the salary cap is the "Additional Service Agreement". It's a slush fund of around $700k, for payment to the player(s) for doing marketing work for the club, in addition to their normal football duties. My guess is that Dangerfield is probably in line to claim around $300k of this, all outside the salary cap. This is why we see him doing jobs like this, ceremonially handing out jumpers to new recruits. It has nothing to do with club leadership and everything to do with remuneration.

I'm happy to make a small wager with you - but it's not open to everyone on the board. Just a small one-to-one bet. We can sort it out via PM though, taking it off the boards. Note that I will be offline for long periods in the next 5 weeks due to work commitments (the reason why I quit as moderator), so don't think I'm being rude if you don't get a quick response.

I find it interesting that the current captain, sorry I meant Dangerfield presented Betts with the Club jumper.

Arguably one of the biggest transfers (media coverage) in our Clubs history, Carey owns number 1, I suppose Betts would be number 2, with Jarman and Robran right up there. I mentioned Robran because if I am not mistaken he stood down from the AFL for a year to return to Adelaide? Correct or is my memory wrong?

I find it interesting that the current captain, sorry I meant Dangerfield presented Betts with the Club jumper.

Arguably one of the biggest transfers (media coverage) in our Clubs history, Carey owns number 1, I suppose Betts would be number 2, with Jarman and Robran right up there. I mentioned Robran because if I am not mistaken he stood down from the AFL for a year to return to Adelaide? Correct or is my memory wrong?

You'll be happy to hear that Betts is having dinner with VB tonight.

I do hope that the role of Captain of our club is put up for debate as soon as possible & even though VB has done his best we do need someone who can lead by example regularly on the field of play.

Who knows releasing VB of the captaincy could work in his/our favour where it matters the most.
it hurts to say, but you cant say Poort did not make the right choice in handing the captaincy over to Boak and on field leader something Cassisi (and VB) are not.

Danger captain NOW. MUST happen. Watching the betts handover was hilarious, who cares if danger is over there, your captain presents...

Agree have been saying it for years. would have to be the luckiest footballer going around. Hi kick is okay when in the open. Other than that a very average footballer. Bad in traffic, Bad decisions under pressure, Cannot win clearances with any clarity, poorr skills and gets intercepted . There was furore when he was voted worst captain in the AFL but I would have to agree 100%. He needs to go as you are right we can only play Wright or Him. Riley or martin or Crouch will give us alot more creativity and flair through the middle.

Spot on.

it hurts to say, but you cant say Poort did not make the right choice in handing the captaincy over to Boak and on field leader something Cassisi (and VB) are not.

The Power must have felt vindicated in their decision especially as Cassisi's performance did improve as he was subjected to being dropped otherwise. Taking the captaincy from VB will either improve his performance or seeing him maintain the captaincy of the reserves team.

Remove this Banner Ad

VB (inc. achilles injury discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back