Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I maybe in the minority here but I would rather the draft picks. I can't see Curtin as a DEF or a MID. He MAY end up as a FWD but to me he a tweener. This draft with 3 @ 4 means you get 2 really really good mids.
I still see him as a future elite running defender (but not a lock down defender).

Having an elite defender is about as important as an elite mid for winning a premiership.

Is anyone thinking we should have taken WC F1 last year for Curtin which would have given us 3&4 in this draft (Maybe Lalor & Draper?) or happy with Curtin 12 months on?
Happy with Curtin. I see him as a Def/Mid in the Dawson mould. Gives us real marking power and versatility.

Plus we have a long list of inside mids now albeit no real top liners.

Is anyone thinking we should have taken WC F1 last year for Curtin which would have given us 3&4 in this draft (Maybe Lalor & Draper?) or happy with Curtin 12 months on?
I would’ve taken that deal for sure, especially as it was more likely 1 or 2 at the time, no one really anticipated Richmond falling off a cliff that bad. Even for pick 3 I’d do it. Nothing against Curtin, just don’t think he’s a top 3 talent or will be an elite mid. More likely a rebounding defender but you don’t use top 3 picks on them.

ADELAIDE

Current Draft Picks: 4, 64

The Crows want to bolster their midfield and this is a good draft to do that.

Adelaide’s midfield was labelled “pedestrian” at times this year, but there is a player in the frame for pick four who could change that.

South Australian Sid Draper has been strongly linked to the Crows and is a player who has drawn comparisons to Chris Judd and Zak Butters with his speed and power coming out of stoppages.

Will Sid Draper become a Crow? Picture: Sarah Reed/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Will Sid Draper become a Crow? Picture: Sarah Reed/AFL Photos via Getty Images
He captained his state at the under-18 national championships mid-year and spent the second half of the season playing senior football with South Adelaide in the SANFL.

Alternatively, the Crows could secure a Victorian onballer, with the likes of Jagga Smith, Harvey Langford, Josh Smillie and Murphy Reid also in the mix to be top-five picks.

Langford (191cm) and Smillie (195cm) are both bigger-bodied options, while Smith and Reid are clean ball-winners with good footy IQ.

Adelaide also has access to a father-son in 191cm marking forward Tyler Welsh, the son of Scott.

The club is yet to commit to Welsh, who shapes as a potential late selection.

Pick Sid.
That’s the message from former Crows captain Mark Bickley to Adelaide’s recruiters as they weigh up whether to take South Australia’s premier talent with pick No. 4 in this year’s National Draft.

Draper, who captained South Australia at the under-18 national championships, is widely considered a top-10 prospect and has been strongly linked to the Crows.

The South Adelaide product has even been touted as a potential No. 1 pick.

Bickley said Draper had all the traits to complement Adelaide’s midfield, which has been criticised for being one-paced.

Should being an SA local be a factor for the Crows when drafting?​

Yes
No, just pick the best talent
Cast your vote

Sid Draper is South Australia’s top prospect in this year’s draft.

Sid Draper is South Australia’s top prospect in this year’s draft.
“I think more importantly for people who are saying, ‘are Adelaide going to take Sid Draper’, Adelaide need burst power out of stoppage,” Bickley said.

“They need someone who breaks away from stoppage — think Chad Warner. That’s one need.

“I reckon the other need … if you can get a classy midfielder who is the best kick in the draft and he’s someone who has got some speed as well, that would be another need.

“Adelaide have got Laird, Berry, Crouch that style of player who wins the footy. They don’t have the finishers.”

You are watching​

2024 AFL Draft Prospects | Dream grand final entertainment
Continue watching
Click to unmute

Draper averaged 108 ranking points in six SANFL seniors games this year and scored a whopping 200 points in his only under-18 match of 2024.

He also averaged 21 disposals, eight contested possessions and 5.5 score involvements at the under-18 national carnival.

“That burst out of stoppage, (Sid) has that,” Bickley said on SEN SA.

“I’ve seen him play at South Adelaide. He finds the ball, he takes off with his legs, he handballs it to someone he then keeps running. He’s a chain-type player. Zak Butters style.

“I think he’s very much the style of player Adelaide need.”

WHAT OUR EXPERTS SAID...​

Position: Midfielder
Height: 182cm
Clubs: South Adelaide/South Australia
Excitement is growing around South Australia’s best draft prospect, with the dynamic onballer “killing it” in the SANFL. Draper won his state’s MVP award as a bottom-age player at the under-18 national championships last year, but had a delayed start to this season as he battled a stress fracture in his shin. Since recovering from that injury he has well and truly hit his straps, though. Despite still being underdone leading into this year’s national championships, Draper captained his state and had some eye-catching moments with his acceleration and power away from contests. He has since gone on to find some serious form playing seniors for South Adelaide, including a round 14 game where he logged 27 disposals, nine clearances, 11 ground ball gets and 10 tackles. The younger brother of ex-Collingwood player Arlo, Draper has great composure in the thick of the action, makes good decisions and has exceptional balance between his inside and outside game.
Words by Chris Cavanagh and Dan Batten

Bickley floated Sandringham Dragons star Murphy Reid as another on-baller who had the attributes Adelaide needed.

“It is a consideration, the local talent versus the (interstate) talent,” he said.

“And it’s a big consideration. But if you’re marking it out of 100, that might be 10 per cent of 15 per cent.”

Bickley said he expected the Crows to resist any temptation to split pick 4 for two first-round selections.

Draper recently rubbished speculation he did not want to be drafted to Adelaide due to how some of the Crows younger talent had been treated.

My gut feeling is Blues may actually want him at 3. That’s why Reidy tried so hard to keep our second rounder which Kangas perhaps requested to slide from pick 2 to pick 4. All total conjecture.

My gut feeling is Blues may actually want him at 3. That’s why Reidy tried so hard to keep our second rounder which Kangas perhaps requested to slide from pick 2 to pick 4. All total conjecture.
That is a big price to pay - when the option you get left with at 4 is apparently a good potential mid anyway.

I get it if we see Draper as THE player of the draft ... which he might well be.

We would just swap our F1 for North's F2 if that was the price they asked for.

I'm still not sure we just go and do the right thing and just pick the best potential player at our pick - although, last time we did that and picked the Vic MVP he decided teaching Yoga to the influenced suited him better :-(

That is a big price to pay - when the option you get left with at 4 is apparently a good potential mid anyway.

I get it if we see Draper as THE player of the draft ... which he might well be.

We would just swap our F1 for North's F2 if that was the price they asked for.

I'm still not sure we just go and do the right thing and just pick the best potential player at our pick - although, last time we did that and picked the Vic MVP he decided teaching Yoga to the influenced suited him better :-(
yeah you are probably right. but giving up a F1 for their F2 is clearly a much bigger price and risk to pay than what I had proposed

I just cant see how Kangas stay with pick 2 as assuming they want a tall it doesnt make sense to overpay. They would be looking at either our pick 4 (if worried about Dees taking same player - with an additional pick from us which was our second rounder next year I was speculating) OR Tigers pick 6 (where they would probably get a bonus mid-late first rounder this year)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back