Review Vent/Autopsy thread vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not going to bother talking about the game, but a more important topic, Why does Jones run like a girl on a catwalk? With his left hand out to the side like he's modelling lingerie or something!?

LOL! :D I said exactly the same thing watching him follow his opponent over the boundary line in the last quarter & did a little demonstration of his catwalk swagger in my lounge room to the amusement of the family.

The next two weeks could be horrible, but it could also be promising, this will show whether McCartney can coach, and I don't blame him entirely, I think the assistant coaches are poor, Grant, King and Montgomery give me little enthusiasm. The dogs have got nothing to lose over the next two weeks, no one expects them to win, so now is the time to do something different, back themselves, run, run and run, and contest. The leaders need to stand up and be counted and just show some spirit, which was non existent today, apart from MacCrae's skills and Stinger's determination.

i am absolutely dreading next week against the Cats.. Really really dreading it as i know what the bastards will do to us :(

Lets just Tank from now on ! lol ! hehe !

There is no speed in our side whatsoever. Adelaide constantly moved the ball in the hurry through the middle, compared to the bulldogs

on.

I thought the inclusion of Tutt with JJ would have added good pace to the side but Adelaide had us covered easily in this area. I think skill and a willingness for more of them to want to work harder and run further is a fair part of it but we do lack pace. Maybe the inclusion of Vez will help.

So many people saying we need a small forward. We bloody well have one. Dahlhous. Why the hell he is playing through the midfield, when we have so many other options is beyond me. We dropped Smith today because we couldnt fit him in for god sake on a day that was tailor made for him.
It is time to get some balance into our forward line and finally have someone sit at the feet of Jones and Cordy when they inevitably spill the mark, Dahls best games have been when he has played forward, for christ's sake thats what he was put on the senior list for and where he made his mark.
I remember when Macca first started, he said he would play players to their strengths. Well Grant, Vez and Dahl certainly havent been.

My quick thoughts, will try to read through the thread in more detail tomorrow.

Just as an aside, just how many of our kids would have played in those type of conditions - at that level ?? How often have Cordy, Jones, Stevens, JJ, Tutt etc played in similar conditions ? Not often I would have thought...

First quarter was good, but we seemed to lack runners in the second and third. It was all over in the fourth, so disregarding that.

Good players: Minson, Libba, Cooney, Morris, Young
Good effort: Wallis, Tutt, Macrae, Goodes, JJ, Stringer

Cordy showed some real deft touches early on for a big man, particularly below the knees. Problem seems to be above the shoulders. If he cannot lift his arms above his head in a marking contest - he's finished. End of story. I know he's had problems, but if the result is that he cannot lift his arms above his head to take a mark - for fear of shoulder issues - he should be delisted. You cannot have a nearly 7 ft guy that cannot utilise his best advantage over the opposition. If it's just a confidence issue, that can be worked on.

You can see that we've got some talent in Macrae and Stringer, they just need some time...

I'm wondering if someone like JJ or Pearce could be turned into a pesky small forward, ala Milne/Ballantyne ??

Our side with Lower, Picken, Cross and Boyd in it is horribly slow. I also thought Stevens looked slower than normal today, maybe he's struggling for fitness a little. We need to look at team balance here. We need to find some hard running wingmen. Can we borrow some ??

Outs: Gia, Griffen (sadly), Cordy
In: Ves, Smith, Grant
Small forwards are naturals in their position, not manufactured in my opinion. We need to bring one to the club. Pearce and jj are running half backs so let's leave them there and let them develop

We dropped Smith today because we couldnt fit him in for god sake on a day that was tailor made for him.

Have to agree here.. Given the conditions, we shouldn't have played Cordy and brought in another midfielder. I know that leave Minson shouldering a heavy load, but Cordy didn't add as much as another runner and contested player would have today.

I actually thought Cordy was very good early when it was pouring, he handled the ball cleanly and was quite poised. Didn't get much chance after that but he lays a lot of blocks and is important for or forward structure.
I thought tutt showed good signs, laid some good tackles and had a great second effort on the wing.
Macrae looked great, very composed. I think he'll struggle as soon as he starts getting attention because he has no right foot. I would make him only kick with his right whenever he plays for willi because when he can go on either side he will be unstoppable
Otherwise thought the rain early probably took a bit of run out of our young legs because we were killed on the spread and rebound again which is where we were so good in round one.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, but someone please prepare a Priority Picks petition.

Even if we got a priority pick ( Which wont happen anyway mind you ) We would still find a way to F**K it up the way things are going :(

Small forwards are naturals in their position, not manufactured in my opinion. We need to bring one to the club. Pearce and jj are running half backs so let's leave them there and let them develop

Understand your point, but we need to bring speed into the forward half. Cordy, Gia, Higgins, Dickson - not fast... It might be worth a test to see if a smaller, faster option can assist. It may not work, but it's worth a try. After all, DFA was surprisingly effective in some games up front last year... Stranger things have happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing indoors at ES has affected our ability to play wet weather footy. Don't they make long sleeve Guernsey's anymore? I felt last year that we had recruited far too many inside mids, there seems to be no outside speed, when geelong & Sydney both are noticeably faster whilst still being able to win their own ball. There was one instance in the 3rd when there was a stoppage & about 5 of our guys were all in the same area & didn't spread from the contest, whereas the crows had spread & were away.
We won the clearances, so why couldn't we capitalize on that? Our inside 50 count was woeful & when it did get in there it was a total horror story.
jj looked stuffed, I reckon he has to be dropped back to get more match fitness, I'd rather someone fitter playing that role over the short term. Stringer should be put on a program to bring his fitness up, like a mini pre-season. If we have to adjust the whole sub thing to fit stringer in, I would rather him get fit to play all game. Good thing was is that he & McRae both looked like they belonged at the level.
Given what happened today, I'm scared of what geelong will do to us next week.
If we can't get the forward line to function how can we expect to be competitive? We can't kick enough score.

Lowest score since 1966 against Collingwood. Enough said.
Simply not true. Without searching too hard I can tell you we kicked 3-4 22 against Brisbane in 1996. I expect there would have been a few similar scores over the last 15 years.

I'm not saying 4-4 28 is OK. It's horrible, even in the wet, but there's no need to make it sound worse than it already is. God knows there'll be enough people telling us about it this week.

On the good side I saw the game plan. Win the ruck ,palm it down fight hard for the ball,win it handpass to mate also under pressure, he fights hard wins ball and handpasses to mate who is also under pressure ,he gets frustrated he hand passes into forward line,Our forwards are 4 yards behind opponent ,they mark and pass to all the free runners who kick into forward line,we tackle hard and force a point it's ok we still have the ball.Now we we can attack.We kick straight to the back pocket (we're safe ) Get ball and kick to contested football or just kick it straight to opposition,doesn't matter same result.Back to centre we clear ball and kick it to the most potential forward line ever,they are either 4 yards behind or bumped or just don,t get near it ,if they do get near the mark it,s quickly picked up by the crumbers, aught oh not ours it theirs and they don't even get
near the ball (in fact don,t have even a set set shot all day They play on and get goal and so it proceeds

Nailed our game plan beautifully.

So much so I think I'll bump your post every few pages. It needs to be seen.

Hey guys bad luck today, any news on Griffen? Hope hes alright, didnt look good at the time.
Nothing other than he's still sore. He'll have scans tomorrow.

Simply not true. Without searching too hard I can tell you we kicked 3-4 22 against Brisbane in 1996. I expect there would have been a few similar scores over the last 15 years.

I'm not saying 4-4 28 is OK. It's horrible, even in the wet, but there's no need to make it sound worse than it already is. God knows there'll be enough people telling us about it this week.

The commentators were talking about the scoreline before Stringer did the goal assist and McCrae kicked his goal.

So many people saying we need a small forward. We bloody well have one. Dahlhous. Why the hell he is playing through the midfield, when we have so many other options is beyond me. We dropped Smith today because we couldnt fit him in for god sake on a day that was tailor made for him.
It is time to get some balance into our forward line and finally have someone sit at the feet of Jones and Cordy when they inevitably spill the mark, Dahls best games have been when he has played forward, for christ's sake thats what he was put on the senior list for and where he made his mark.
I remember when Macca first started, he said he would play players to their strengths. Well Grant, Vez and Dahl certainly havent been.

I understand your point, Sharkey, but it's not that easy when you're playing in a poor team. Just as much as we need a small forward we also need pace in the midfield. And Dahl is it, right now. You're robbing Peter to pay Paul wherever we place Dahl.

Ok, I may have gotten a bit pissed at the loss and wanted to Sack Macca, but after calming down a bit here are our thoughts.

-For a great educator of young players, nobody except Roughy has significantly improved their game.
-Slow. By gawd we are slow. Maybe being slow can be excused with good disposal or toughness around the contests but we have neither. Adelaide's huslye, for lack of a better word,, was heaps better and they seemed to get in front of our men too easily.
-Persist with Cordy and Jones. Can't fault them when you consider the delivery they were getting
-Young may be a good stopper but he is too slow. When he has the ball in his hands his instinctive ability isn't there. He is also slow in pure speed. Shame because he is a smart thinker and tries his best - but when you have an entire team that is slow he gets exposed more.
-Damn Cooney is good. Minson as well.
-Blokes don't have the confidence to have the edge. Dive to the ball. Get in front. When Koby Stevens had the ball a few times, he instantly turned his back on the play and handballed it to someone else.
-Get Wallis in the middle. He is not a wingman. He us not a outside ball winner. He is a clearance player who works well in congestion.w
-We're going to get a long and good career out of Macrae.

It's become difficult to differentiate between this board and the Facebook page these days.

The lack of perspective and unrealistic expectation is staggering.

If we had played like today in round 1 i would tend to agree with you. The problem is after Brisbane and to a lesser extent Freo, we know what the team is capable of effort and skill wise.
Unfortunately the bar has been set, and the team, FROM THE MATCH COMMITTEE down now has some KPI's to meet.
And they aren't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Vent/Autopsy thread vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back