2nds VFL Megathread - Latest game = Rd 4 vs Northern Blues at Preston Oval 14/4/12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RD 4 vs Northern Blues @ 2PM @ Preston City Oval

Thanks 10th Letter, really well written and very insightful. Sounds like no-one's really banging the door down, but we have a few strong longer-term prospects in Gault, Williams, Paine, Seedsman, Yagmoor, Ceglar etc.

Great notes as always 10th letter. Appreciate the effort.

If you've got time I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Brock McLeans' game. Reason being I see him as a player who might potentially be trade relevant this year seeing as he isn't getting senior games.

I have to confess to not really tracking opposition players as closely as our own boys, but McLean won his share of the ball as you would expect at this level and converted his chances.

I don't think I'd be trading anything for him though, I've taken too much pleasure in laughing at what Carlton paid in the first place. I get your angle though, as we do need to bolster our inside stocks but we should have Ball back ahead of the start of next season.

You'd know more about the upcoming draft than myself, but if it's as deep as the informed heads (such as yourself) are stating, wouldn't it be a better bet to try and get a bull or two at the latter stages if there's no stand out inside capable player available at our earlier picks?

Even if they have a flaw such as kicking or pace, since McLean suffers from these shortcomings also.

Unfortunately the injury woes of Josh Thomas have really set us back in this department.

Unfortunately the injury woes of Josh Thomas have really set us back in this department.

Well Reading the Josh Thomas Thread sounds like he could be back next week

Thanks 10th Letter, really well written and very insightful. Sounds like no-one's really banging the door down, but we have a few strong longer-term prospects in Gault, Williams, Paine, Seedsman, Yagmoor, Ceglar etc.

Pretty much Sampler, no immediate prospect as such for the coming weeks, but a few youngsters who stand a reasonable chance of making the grade.

Paine will return to senior duties at some stage this year, if anything (God forbid) befalls a Cloke or Dawes then he's the next cab off the rank. Also, if Buckley decides the Wood/Jolly combo just isn't on, we're likely to see Paine back.

For this year, from the younger crop I think I'd go with Seedsman and/or Ugle next in favour of Sinclair.

What was the crowd like yesterday?

I couldn't make it yesterday, but the last couple of times the VFL team have played at Preston the Pies supporters have out-numbered the Blues in the middle of Magpie heartland.

We outnumbered them.

Strangely enough I was told by a moron that Preston is cartons heartland, he then argued that the shaw's (first example that jumped to my head) werent from Preston

I have to confess to not really tracking opposition players as closely as our own boys, but McLean won his share of the ball as you would expect at this level and converted his chances.

I don't think I'd be trading anything for him though, I've taken too much pleasure in laughing at what Carlton paid in the first place. I get your angle though, as we do need to bolster our inside stocks but we should have Ball back ahead of the start of next season.

You'd know more about the upcoming draft than myself, but if it's as deep as the informed heads (such as yourself) are stating, wouldn't it be a better bet to try and get a bull or two at the latter stages if there's no stand out inside capable player available at our earlier picks?

Even if they have a flaw such as kicking or pace, since McLean suffers from these shortcomings also.

Thanks for the reply.

It is a deep draft and deep with midfield talent. I wouldn't mind seeing us add a back flanker first up. Adam Carter (WA) is one who comes to mind. Reason being Heath Shaw looks allot less effective without Leon Davis this year and to make our backline most effective having that other rebounder who can also play a shutdown role could take some pressure off Shaw.

James Stewart might go 2nd round as F/S, or looks like he could at this stage.

I trust Luke and trust he will get back to playing some good footy next season, but even with Luke in the side our midfield looks clearly outmatched by that of Carlton and with West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide and other midfields developing in a hurry it looks like we could get surpassed in a hurry.

McLean is one of many I'm tracking as a consideration. My thinking is he is an underutilised, high production inside midfielder who can add leadership and help give our midfield that extra boost with his ability to win the contested footy consistently. Very Buckley compatible with the way he goes about his footy and trains on the track.

Just reading up on the Carlton board now McLean finished with 38 disposals and 2 goals which at any level is big.
The feel I get is McLean will be pretty available with Carlton's midfield just too deep to accommodate him.

Of midfielders around the league who are underutilised I also like West Coast's Koby Stevens as another inside midfield option but it all comes down to asking price in both cases.

Right now I'm just looking at all options. TAC/interstate U18, VFL/other state league comps as well as those on other AFL lists and look at who might/might not be available and who is the best fit for our team.

I'd love to see Josh Thomas back in the side. If he can get healthy and string together a month of VFL footy I'd back him to play senior footy and produce through the midfield. Right now I'd probably back Beams to play more significant midfield minutes - is a very capable inside player and could be utilised more in this role. Also Wellingham and Blair should get more minutes on the ball. But Ball is just a player you can't replace and is a serious loss for the team and our premiership hopes for this year anyway.

Mitch Hahn also reviewed the players for anyone who hasn't read it:

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/NewsFeatures/News/NewsArticle/tabid/5586/newsId/133255/Default.aspx

Going from what he says Ceglar was fairly average and Williams didn't play well only getting 8 possessions playing in the midfield?

I would not say Ceglar was Average but he did not Dominate Either as we would of Liked.

I am surprised that Williams only touched the Ball 8 Times

We're on TV again this saturday against Box Hill. :thumbsu: They're 8th and we're 9th, both on 1 win so it'll be a good time to notch up another one.

VFL Round 5 - Coll vs Box Hill Hawks @ Box Hill City Oval - Saturday 1.10 PM

We're on TV again this Saturday against Box Hill. :thumbsu: They're 8th and we're 9th, both on 1 win so it'll be a good time to notch up another one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: VFL Round 5 - Coll vs Box Hill Hawks @ Box Hill City Oval - Saturday 1.10 PM

We're on TV again this Saturday against Box Hill. :thumbsu: They're 8th and we're 9th, both on 1 win so it'll be a good time to notch up another one.

Thanks JOELY, great we're on TV again, woohoo.

May not help us overly that we got two more injuries with Ball and Reid, as that has a flow on effect down the line, but the boys were really quite impressive last week and they'll be looking to win another one.

The game actually clashes with he AFL game which starts at 2.10 on same day.

That's pretty ordinary, hope it doesn't happen too often :mad:

Though TV watchers can channel surf I guess.

Hope the emergencies for the seniors can play in the twos, but likely they'll keep at least one on ice as insurance.

Hawks AFL play a few hours later, so not that different for them emergency wise.

Go Pies

Re: VFL Round 5 - Coll vs Box Hill Hawks @ Box Hill City Oval - Saturday 1.10 PM

I will record the Game because I am going to the Port Game.

Though I know someone who is going to the VFL game and give me Updates on VFL Game

Given Jamie Elliott isn't on the injury list anymore, I'm hoping he gets a gig. Very interested in how he plays.

Ridiculous it's at the same time.

Blame the VFL for that but at least it's on TV

Ridiculous it's at the same time.

It's better than having the Vfl play the day before the 1's with emergencies and late injuries. Sometimes an emergency for the seniors plays no game at all

Intresting to see Tom Couch Named for Melbourne to play AFL

Not going to be much point watching this anyway, there's not exactly many AFL listed players available for the VFL team!

Not going to be much point watching this anyway, there's not exactly many AFL listed players available for the VFL team!

Didak would be Playing

Didak would be Playing
And also Nathan Brown, although you might suspect that both will only play a half with a view to them playing on Wednesday against Essendon.

Cam Wood will be there too.:p:eek:

As for anyone asking why the games are being played at the same time, it's because Collingwood requested it to be so, so that both VFL and AFL teams could have the maximum amount of rest going into ANZAC day.

And also Nathan Brown, although you might suspect that both will only play a half with a view to them playing on Wednesday against Essendon.

Cam Wood will be there too.:p:eek:

As for anyone asking why the games are being played at the same time, it's because Collingwood requested it to be so, so that both VFL and AFL teams could have the maximum amount of rest going into ANZAC day.

From ABC's point of view though they probably shouldn't have used this one as one of our televised games, considering their main target audience is Pies supporters and we'll all be watching the seniors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back