2nds VFL Megathread - Latest game = Rd 4 vs Northern Blues at Preston Oval 14/4/12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didak has been lively in the last and kicked a couple too. Good signs. Hawks in control but some goodish signs.

Elliott looks a gem. If he was 4" taller he would have gone 1st round...

Another promising game by Gault, and Didak was excellent.

Witts and Wood failed to set the world on fire, and Rounds was very disappointing.

Re: VFL Round 5 - Coll vs Box Hill Hawks @ Box Hill City Oval - Saturday 1.10 PM

Does anyone have the final scores/bests/goalkickers?

Re: VFL Round 5 - Coll vs Box Hill Hawks @ Box Hill City Oval - Saturday 1.10 PM

Just saw the final scores on the news.. It was 130-75.

I wonder if they will be reluctant to make the young players at AFL level back up against Wednesday.

Ceglar for Paine
Ugle for Sinclair
Brown for Buckley/Young

Ceglar would allow Dawes to stay as a forward and if Jolly backs up Ceglar can play a lot more ruck than Dawes did today.

Johnson was played for 2 and a half qtrs, should be able to back up.
Seedsman played 1 and a half qtrs, should be ok to back up.

I wonder if they will be reluctant to make the young players at AFL level back up against Wednesday.

Ceglar for Paine
Ugle for Sinclair
Brown for Buckley/Young

Brown played the whole game, I think, and did not play as well as last week. Didak also played the whole game. If Ceglar and Ugle are being held over for Essendon, why weren't they payed for a half today? Seems strange that Ceglar is to play against Essendon because he was none too prominent last week in the VFL.

Wood wasn't much good either from my observation of the first half today. He looked terrible below his knees and just looks too wooden around the ground.

Didn't know Brown played a full game... with Hurley likely to miss I think we will go in with the same backline again.

If players were taken into the VFL game only being asked to play half a game, the workload on other players would have been too much and if any injuries were picked up it would have been farcical IMO.

Good:

Didak: Really looked good today. Got involved in the game and had an impact with his ball use by foot and placement on his kicks. A number of times found targets centrally in space which really impressed me showing great vision. Looked good both on the right and left feet.

Elliott: Was really lively and showed some. Showed some nice marking ability 1v1 and in other circumstances was also strong overhead. Work rate was good and at one stage went for a long run from the wing all the way to the forward pocket and finished with a spin out of trouble and a goal.

Wood: Had a good game by his standards though faded a little as the day went. For the first probably 3 quarters got on top in the ruck and got a few hitouts down and probably didn't get the midfield support to get those clearances. Also liked some of his strong marks down back, a couple of which were in packs or 1v1 - seemed to read it well. The two things I didn't like was how easily he was pushed around out of boundary throwins (nothing new). Also his ball by hand and foot was really poor which surprised me because that is usually pretty happy with, but otherwise an above average performance.

Rounds: Got injured 3rd quarter? Looked lively up until that point. Was really involved in the game, played on and looked good a couple of times and defensively was ok. Looked like he was playing the old Malthouse gameplan with the down the boundary kicks though.

Lachie Smith: Didn't mind his game. Mostly looked composed and used it fairly well. Read the play well and got a few marks off opposition kicks. Even when getting crunched by the opposition tackler still executed a nice handball. Played a good game and was probably one of our better players.

Others:

Witts: Did some nice things but still is a long term project and requires time. I liked some of his tackles. Bodywork in ruck contests also good. I enjoyed his goal, clearly knows where the goals are. Also liked some of his work in close and by hand was good. What could improve is his ability 1v1 - needs to get front position and attack the ball more to make better advantage of his size. Also at times looked slow and lumbering which is out of character from what I've previously seen of him. Jumping at centre bounces also needs work so that he at least can take advantage more often at those centre bounces when the opportunity is there.

Gault: Not as good as he has been over the past few weeks but after half time got into it. Just made some mistakes. At one stage after a mark tried to handball over the top to Didak but that play got stopped by the opposition. He also missed a fairly easy chest mark and seemed really concerned with body pressure. On another occasion overran the ball.
But on the positive he competed well when put into the ruck for a couple of opportunities. Has a great leap on him and competed well. Executed a nice no look handball showing some great composure - midfield like. Tackling efforts were good. Marking in the 2nd half allot better.
Expect him to rebound next week for a better game.

N.Brown: Not nearly as good as last week and looked rusty. Looked slow and fumbly. Lacked awareness at times. His tackling endevour at times was good though. Still getting his touch back which is no surprise consider how long he has been out of the game. Give him another 2-3 weeks before he really finds his feet.

Mooney: Quiet but at times did some nice things. Showed some overhead marking ability. Speed is a great asset. Needs more time but I don't mind the lad.

Cribbin: Early he lacked awareness allowing Chance Bateman an easy goal after a mark by not paying attention. What I did like at times was his attack on the ball and the man. Allot of work still needs to be put into his game. A long way off still.

McNamara: After a number of really good games had an ordinary game. Looked competitive in his minor ruck minutes but around the ground make some mistakes. Just wasn't his day. After a mark at one stage slipped over getting tackled. Another time down back jumped for a mark but it was just a little too high for him to mark resulting in an opposition goal. Will be better next week.

Other players I found interesting:
Marc Lock: Played a great game. Was very impressed. How GC cut him and no one else picked him up is staggering.
Danny Hughes for Box Hill is another who could easily be playing at AFL level. Handy HFF for a club looking.

Boland for us wasn't as good as he was last week but if he keeps improving I wouldn't be shocked to see him on an AFL list as a key forward.

Thanks for that Knight, great to hear Elliott burned on debut, the kid is a jet.

The Nathan Brown review is about what we all expected, I was hoping he'd back for ANZAC day but with no senior game next weekend, he can play VFL next weekend and maybe return vs the Dogs the following weekend.

Someone today told me that Sandilands didn't debut till he was 23, so Witts has 5 years still to go to develop.:)

Elliott looks a gem. If he was 4" taller he would have gone 1st round...

Elliot was Traded for a 1st Round Pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elected to follow the VFL lads today (as that's sort of my bag these days) and listen into proceedings at AFL level.

Was pretty hard to watch at times, but after last year we're somewhat accustomed to these sort of performances. The VFL side suffered as much as our seniors, perhaps more so given the players missing from last week's team.

Match Report / Player Review

Pretty sure that Wood and Brown were rested heavily in the second half, definitely not spotted during the final quarter to my recollection.

Think we'll all be smiling after Elliott's first up performance along with Didak's form over the last fortnight. I also thought Gault worked hard all day despite a few errors, kept on keeping on. Smith looks quite clean with the ball in hand, hope to see more from him in coming weeks.

Getting the four points against Port without any more injuries, plus the signs from Elliott and Dids today, just what we needed after this week.

Great reports as always !0th Letter.

Definitely sounds like Elliott and Didak were the two big stories for the day.

Sad result, they were going so well in the first 15 minutes

Elliot was Traded for a 1st Round Pick
He and Marty Clarke in a combo package, and it was a pretty poor excuse for a 1st round pick given where it fell.

Oh yeah, Lachie Smith... jury's still out for me. He did look composed and he used the ball well, but he was behind his opponent A LOT today and got out of jail with some fortunate bounces and some fumbles by his opponent. Looked at least ok and could be something.

Nate Brown played alright, didn't dominate obviously but was perfectly capable back there. Will be back soon, I reckon.

Nah, not unless it's due to poor pace in getting to the contest.

"Decorated forward Alan Didak pressed his case for a return to senior action with 29 disposals and two goals"

Awesome :)

Elliott's little spin and goal was the highlight from the first half that I saw. He oozed class and seems a sharp user of the ball. How many goals did he kick?

Think he kicked four, according to The 10th Letter's report (several posts back)

Thanks for that Knight, great to hear Elliott burned on debut, the kid is a jet.

The Nathan Brown review is about what we all expected, I was hoping he'd back for ANZAC day but with no senior game next weekend, he can play VFL next weekend and maybe return vs the Dogs the following weekend.

Someone today told me that Sandilands didn't debut till he was 23, so Witts has 5 years still to go to develop.:)

Witts is 20 this year - played last year in TAC cup as a 19 year old.

I have been hearing for awhile now that Dids was finished from many around me and I have been waiting for my time to strike. Seems like he is on his way back. This has been very pleasing news that he played so well in the twos.

Jamie Elliott, what can I say? I, like many, have been waiting for this kid to get on the park simply because we are missing that real dangerous and damaging small/medium forward to impact the scoreboard. This kid has got it. Need to get him into the seniors as quickly as possible.

Overall, a much more positive weekend than the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back