VFL VFL pre-season 2025 (list changes, updates)

Remove this Banner Ad

no VFL team is going to be succesful when they are starting from scratch every season because they are losing all their experienced players.
Yep. And you're going to try to get them to play the AFL game plan so hte AFL blisted guys can slot more easily into an AFL role, but the fill ins aren't going to know it well enough and the team becomes a mess.

Yep. And you're going to try to get them to play the AFL game plan so hte AFL blisted guys can slot more easily into an AFL role, but the fill ins aren't going to know it well enough and the team becomes a mess.
Thats why they make our VFL game plan the same as our AFL game plan. Just not easy to adapt as young vfl players new in the system.

It's a bugbear of mine but I think, finally, monetary wise we are getting closer to the AFLPA looking at increased list sizes & minimum wages so that you can earn a better than average wage playing a back up role in the VFL.

More to it than that but screw you for making me try & make a point.

Burp!!!

Might not be so easy to find under 22 players who are good VFL players and not on an AFL list?
We seem to be one of the only teams unable to do it.

Look at the nominations for the F-R-M Medal - We're basically the only team not on the list.

Every year, the players we sign to the VFL list is a veritable "who's that" of unsigned guys. There's no "this guy narrowly missed out on being drafted" or "this 19 year old won his B&F in the VAFA" or something else where the players achievements are notable.

Maybe there's just no one out there, but when we're consistently doing worse than every other club at this, I have to look towards intention and effort.

There are a bunch of 19 year olds on this list, who were considered mid-season draft candidates this year, but weren't taken. They're obviously going pretty well, and if they were playing in the TAC Cup as an overager this season they will be looking for a new club, but we never sign anyone with a name that's ever been in an article before.

We seem to be one of the only teams unable to do it.

Look at the nominations for the F-R-M Medal - We're basically the only team not on the list.

Every year, the players we sign to the VFL list is a veritable "who's that" of unsigned guys. There's no "this guy narrowly missed out on being drafted" or "this 19 year old won his B&F in the VAFA" or something else where the players achievements are notable.

Maybe there's just no one out there, but when we're consistently doing worse than every other club at this, I have to look towards intention and effort.

There are a bunch of 19 year olds on this list, who were considered mid-season draft candidates this year, but weren't taken. They're obviously going pretty well, and if they were playing in the TAC Cup as an overager this season they will be looking for a new club, but we never sign anyone with a name that's ever been in an article before.
The number 1 choice in the midseason draft came from us. Ned Moyle really early a couple of years before. I'm not seeing us as doing consistently worse than others in this space.

If you do add a good one, they're gone in half a season. And frankly neither of them were VFL stars when taken in the draft. Your not going to improve the team much with under 21s.

Ned Long was also under 21.

Last edited:
Reckon signing mature players as spp was in part to improve our vfl side last year. Bytel, Sullivan and Eyre (when played in defence) could all star at vfl level. It looked promising early before injuries hit.

Reckon signing mature players as spp was in part to improve our vfl side last year. Bytel, Sullivan and Eyre (when played in defence) could all star at vfl level. It looked promising early before injuries hit.
Yeah, in theory, our move to less draftees should benefit the VFL team as our depth is going to be a bit older and more experienced than other clubs.

However, I just think you're stuffed if injuries hit. You're bringing in a heap of fill ins who aren't going to hit the patterns we want them to run within our game plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL pre-season 2025 (list changes, updates)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back