2nds VFL R1: Footscray vs Box Hill @WO Good Friday Game 12pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Very encouraged by Williams and Webb as Footscray's best and second best. Both of these guys have big futures in the AFL and likely come in for Murphy and M Boyd in the long term.

Webb must average close to a 30 touches and a goal a game at VFL level. He's extremely high production there. No shit he doesn't average the same at AFL level he doesn't play the same role. His game will transition he just needs a little bit more time. Dale on the other hand barely racks up 15 touches at either level which is a worry. Love him when he's got the ball though, just needs to find a way to get it more.

Plenty of time for both boys but they need to start pushing for senior spots and grabbing their opportunities when they get em

I can recall another high possession gun lethal left footed VFL mid who was good overhead, who was slowish and couldn't get a game in the AFL for a long time.

His name was Lindsay Gilbee

Fingers crossed Webb ends up as good as Gilbee

No way have I given up on him BR , he is a star at VFL level with time on his side.
By the way Gilb's was a right footer ;)

No way have I given up on him BR , he is a star at VFL level with time on his side.
By the way Gilb's was a right footer ;)
Cheers - how soon we forget...well maybe Gilbee kicked it like a raking left footer...:oops:

Can some one who was at the game tell me how in the hell we lost?????? Looking at that highlights package we killed them and should have won by 20 goals!
Dogs had bad turnovers infront of goal during the 4th q and lack the run to overpower their mids

Hawks flooded the backline and spreaad quickly on turnoverd resulting in 3 goals

Can some one who was at the game tell me how in the hell we lost?????? Looking at that highlights package we killed them and should have won by 20 goals!

Team was so young. We defended really poorly. Collins, lynch and Young were the last line of defence most of the day, and it cost us. Lynch in particular I thought was very very poor defensively.

Team was so young. We defended really poorly. Collins, lynch and Young were the last line of defence most of the day, and it cost us. Lynch in particular I thought was very very poor defensively.
agreed with lynch, was caught out too many times and didn't go third man up in contest
tends to pick and choose when to play defense and lack defensive drive when he had the ball

I hope Lipinski is given a couple more weeks in the VFL but can manage 10 games in the AFL this season. I think he has something special, and love that he won 2 holding the ball frees to go with his 4 goals. Started off as well as we could've hoped. Also if English's tap work never develops and he ends up a 200cm midfielder, what is stopping him from being a really good midfielder? Has great lateral movement, one of the nicest field kicking actions I have seen from any player on our list regardless of position/height and has lightning hands. Plus he applies great defensive pressure and tackles. If that were the case though we would need another 2 rucks on the list. I feel like we are already short of one ruck on the list as it is.

agreed with lynch, was caught out too many times and didn't go third man up in contest
tends to pick and choose when to play defense and lack defensive drive when he had the ball

Was poor on the deck defensively as well. Didn't clean up loose pills or even create stoppages. They scored way too easily.

Was poor on the deck defensively as well. Didn't clean up loose pills or even create stoppages. They scored way too easily.
problem with lynch is that it takes at least 3-4 rounds for him to be comfortable with his game but the lack of a inside defensive game is a worry. that was his biggest weakness last year imo

Very encouraged by Williams and Webb as Footscray's best and second best. Both of these guys have big futures in the AFL and likely come in for Murphy and M Boyd in the long term.

I hope you are right. Struggling to think of a time when players like Webb (Williams deserves more time) spend 3-4 years in the 2's and are a like for like replacement for retiring stars. Maybe the Hawks in the 80's. Bob and Boydy (and Moz) will be hard to replace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... if English's tap work never develops and he ends up a 200cm midfielder, what is stopping him from being a really good midfielder? Has great lateral movement, one of the nicest field kicking actions I have seen from any player on our list regardless of position/height and has lightning hands. Plus he applies great defensive pressure and tackles...
He's 205 cm and 87 kg now. He will probably develop naturally to be 100 kg or a bit more. When he does that he's unlikely to retain the agility or speed of a midfielder. (But if he does ... wow, he'll be some sort of player!)
Not many can be that tall, stay lightly built and still be able to play good footy. The only one who comes to mind is Dustin Fletcher whose playing weight was 93kg. He was 7cm shorter than English though.

He's 205 cm and 87 kg now. He will probably develop naturally to be 100 kg or a bit more. When he does that he's unlikely to retain the agility or speed of a midfielder. (But if he does ... wow, he'll be some sort of player!)
Not many can be that tall, stay lightly built and still be able to play good footy. The only one who comes to mind is Dustin Fletcher whose playing weight was 93kg. He was 7cm shorter than English though.

People used to rave about Ayce's agility and below the knees work....

I hope Lipinski is given a couple more weeks in the VFL but can manage 10 games in the AFL this season. I think he has something special, and love that he won 2 holding the ball frees to go with his 4 goals. Started off as well as we could've hoped. Also if English's tap work never develops and he ends up a 200cm midfielder, what is stopping him from being a really good midfielder? Has great lateral movement, one of the nicest field kicking actions I have seen from any player on our list regardless of position/height and has lightning hands. Plus he applies great defensive pressure and tackles. If that were the case though we would need another 2 rucks on the list. I feel like we are already short of one ruck on the list as it is.

Why are you even talking about the possibility that English's tap work never develops? Didn't we literally just draft the bloke? Crikey.

I love him King. Love him. Excellent user and decision maker. Got a bit of C%#* in him too.
Sorry Fronk, your love for him can never be greater than mine. Loved him like my son from day dot and will defend him the same way. Hope he breaks into the team very soon and is given every opportunity to play midfield or at least on a wing.

Dean Cox was never a great tap ruckman was he? Never averaged above 30 hitouts for a game and even got outrucked by Cooney.
You can't compare him to Cooney, Cooney was elite. Has any other ruck ever won 100% of centre bounce taps for their career?
Why are you even talking about the possibility that English's tap work never develops? Didn't we literally just draft the bloke? Crikey.
Because there is a possibility that his tap work never develops. As there is no 100% certainty that it develops there is very much a possibility. Looking at worst case scenario (his tap work not developing) I can still see him becoming a more than useful player and a massive asset to the side given what he can already to at his height. I wonder if there are many ruckman who are their teams' designated kick. English could be breaking new ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds VFL R1: Footscray vs Box Hill @WO Good Friday Game 12pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back