2nds VFL Round 16 - Geelong v Coburg, Skilled Stadium, 1:10PM Saturday 16 July (live ABC1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think so. Byrnes also got 3.

Schroder was good with only about 10 possessions. Cowan was very good. Used it well.
Raidme got some really good disposals, that goal near the end was a beauty.

Moons presented well, that's what was so good about his play today. Got away with a push in the back in the last, but hey, those umps where terrible both ways anyway.

I was really impressed with 54 (I think), can't remember his name. Took a lot of contested marks in the third quarter in the backline, he also was very good in the press and often outmarked his opposition.

Good team win today.

Andrew McClean?

Thought that Cowan well and truly stood out with his class. Needs a few more kg's but will be a good mid with both and inside and outside game.

Good signs from both Guthrie and Schroder - have the poise required to be AFL players.

The other one I thought looked good was Sheringham. One touch player who has good footy smarts. Probably not an AFL possibility but a very useful VFL player.

Bathie looked pretty good as well. I would probably keep him on the rookie list for another year - I would doubt that another club would draft him but could be wrong.

Gillies disappointing again. Just seems slow to read both the flight of the footy and get into a good defending position against his opponent. It's funny that when given the opportunity at AFL level he does ok - surrounded by the likes of Scarlett, Milburn and Enright would obviously help in that regard - I just wonder though that he has been drafted to replace one of the talls and will not be up to it when he hasn't got the benefit of more experienced, greats around him..

Round up.

Gillies I cannot see becoming a replacement for Scarlett or probably for any backman we currently have in the best 22. I was hoping he might be a player for us going forward.

Cowan looks good to me and I think is a real prospect of making it in the next 2 seasons.

I thought Dawson was good and I think he is definately worth continuing with.

I like the look of Bathie - and he might be a serious prospect.

Guthrie and Schroder were ok as well.

Byrnes may yet have a place in the best 22. Playing well enough to get a game if an injury/rest happens.

Good old Moons put his heart and soul into the encounter and played a good role.

Round up.

Gillies I cannot see becoming a replacement for Scarlett or probably for any backman we currently have in the best 22. I was hoping he might be a player for us going forward.

I think that quite a few on this forum have come to the same conclusion.

Excellent come from behind win by the boys.
Early on we really struggled around the contest and weren't switched on at all, but to their credit they stuck at it, worked hard and came out after half time and really turned the entire game on it's head, eventually controlling the clearances and the flow of the game.

Before i get into my precis of our players, i must make a special mention of Angus Graham.
I don't know if it showed up on tv, but he spent the entire game taking cowardly cheap shots and doing such classy things as dropping knees, choking guys, pulling hair and mouthing off at footballers half his size.
Pathetic performance from one of the worst footballers in the league.

Now, my thoughts on our boys.

Jordan Schroder: Didn't get near it in the first half but in the second half he was superb.
He worked hard, attacked the footy with a ferociousness rarely seen by first year players and showed amazing strength in one-on-one contests.
He's still very much a work in progress and he needs a lot more polish but for a kid who was very bottom aged, he's showing some excellent signs.

Dawson Simpson: Didn't have a huge impact around the ground, which isn't surprising given he was often matched up on the far more mobile Jayden Post, but his ruckwork was sublime.
Time after time in the second half he put the ball down the throat of our midfielders, giving them as good a service as you could want and going a long way towards turning the game in our favour.

Shannon Byrnes: Another good, solid hitout for Shan Shan.
He drifted in and out of the game but he had plenty of the footy, kicked goals when he needed to and above all, he ran out the game strongly.
I'd like him to play one more in the VFL, but fingers crossed we'll have a fit and in-form Shan Shan for the finals because he's definitely best 22 in my eyes.

Josh Cowan: Didn't win a stack of it (only 17 touches), but Josh' in and under work and attack on the footy in the second half was one of the major reasons we won.
His foot skills were also excellent and despite still being stick thin, he really managed to apply some strong physical pressure and get under the skin of the Coburg mids.
He's coming along beautifully, although i still hope we leave him in the VFL for the rest of the season because not only is his body simply not ready, he needs to continue gaining the confidence he's getting from winning hard footy at VFL level.

Cam Mooney: What can you say about Cam? His body isn't making it easy for him but he's working hard, marking the ball beautifully and converting his opportunities.
I don't know what the future holds for Cam but his last month at VFL level has done so much for him mentally and for all his young teammates who have really thrived since he's been around.

Tom Gillies: Unfortunately Tom had a shocker, often out of position and regularly beaten in one-on-one contests.
It was an unfortunate performance given his AFL career is hanging by a thread but i hope for his sake he bounces back next week.

Cameron Guthrie: Another excellent performance from Cameron.
He's a really mature, intelligent young man with wonderful hands and a calmness not often associated with footballers of his age.
The club saw his poise and composure and immediately locked him into a half back, defensive general role in the VFL this year and it's obvious that Cam has flourished in the role.
His body is still a couple of pre-seasons away but when he comes into the senior team you'll immediately be able to see how much he's benefited from the education he's received in the VFL this year.

Jack Weston: Another disappointing game from Jack.
He's obviously had his injury issues but he simply isn't winning enough of the footy.
He's a great talent so hopefully his form turns soon because these next 6 weeks are make or break for him as a potential AFL footballer.

Ben Johnson: Benny was another who really struggled today, which was to be expected given he's had such a long lay off.
He worked hard and competed well but he just couldn't get his hands on the footy.
Will be much better for the run.

Jesse Stringer: Didn't win a lot of the footy (8 touches), but used it well and always seemed to position up well at contests.
Hopefully this was the first step in a successful recovery because the poor bugger deserves some luck.

Josh Walker: I'm a huge fan of Josh and was rapt to see him finally back into the team after such a long time out.
He didn't see much of the ball but as a key defender he did his job well.

George Burbury: Like Weston, just isn't winning enough of the footy.
The ability is there but you just can't survive when you're only getting your hands on the footy 6-7 times a game.
He's got plenty of time, though.

Jonathan Simpkin: Another typical, excellent performance from Joffa.
Had it 20 times, generally used it pretty well, kicked a goal and added some real creativeness around the packs.

Ryan Bathie: Ryan took another giant step forward today.
He did his job well and managed to provide a solid, reliable option out of defence.
Had it 19 times and showed strong hands, taking 8 marks.
I've said it before but if he continues to improve at the rate he has this year we're going to have a genuine AFL footballer on our hands.

Troy Selwood: He was pretty much our only winner in the first quarter, constantly putting his head over it and winning the hard footy.
Drifted out of it a bit after that and his disposal wasn't great but you can never doubt his leadership.

Andrew McLean: Played loose today and yet again was one of our better players.
I was particularly impressed with one passage of play where he took a pretty painful knock yet when he saw the ball near him, got up and tackled desperately before again hitting the deck in agony.
He may be 27, both Bathie's progression may be all that's standing between him and a mature rookie spot in 2012.

Mitch Cuthill: Mitch just battled but as always he worked hard, put his head over it and did all the team things the club expects from him.

Casey Tutungi: Not one of Casey's better games but still managed to stop quite a number of Coburg attacks with his excellent reading of the play.

Jackson Sheringham: Stevie J's balding twin (and Tim's little brother) was a real standout today.
He started in defence, as always, but moved into the midfield in the second half and his clearance work and reading of the ruckmen was sublime.
Had it 26 times and was a clear BOG for mine.

Tom Maas: Didn't do anything spectacular but like Cuthill, does everything the club expects of him and that's why he's getting a game.

Ben Raidme: Benny's had some average games of late but today he really stood up in Mark Corrigan's absence, basically becoming our number one midfielder and performing really well.
Had 27 touches, used it pretty well and kicked a goal.

Garreth Phillips: Another good performance from the little pocket rocket from Rupertswood.
He provides much needed pace in the middle, generally uses the footy well and his defensive pressure is excellent (as we saw with his goal today).
I've been a big rap for him for a while so i'm so glad he's getting a good crack at it now.

Mitch Fisher: Off with an ankle injury within 30 seconds of coming on the ground.
The poor kid missed the first half of the year with injury, played 6 weeks in the GFL and gets hurt again.
I hope we retain him on the VFL list next year because he's definitely got the ability to contribute if he ever gets any bloody luck with his body.

Thought it was a great game today, and at times coburg where feral along with their supporters, glad to see the catters staying in the game in the second half,with no help from the no 15 umpire! anyway, can anyone tell me who no 42 player is ? thougt he played a good game along with shannon and cam mooney!

Thought it was a great game today, and at times coburg where feral along with their supporters, glad to see the catters staying in the game in the second half,with no help from the no 15 umpire! anyway, can anyone tell me who no 42 player is ? thougt he played a good game along with shannon and cam mooney!

Josh Walker.

Think so. Byrnes also got 3.

Schroder was good with only about 10 possessions. Cowan was very good. Used it well.
Raidme got some really good disposals, that goal near the end was a beauty.

Moons presented well, that's what was so good about his play today. Got away with a push in the back in the last, but hey, those umps where terrible both ways anyway.

I was really impressed with 54 (I think), can't remember his name. Took a lot of contested marks in the third quarter in the backline, he also was very good in the press and often outmarked his opposition.

Good team win today.

Only saw the second half and usually its the grunt work in the first half that sets up a win.

BUT:

Cowan will be a very very good footballer. How does he get where the ball is so often?

Simpson was playing on short people most of the half and did well but he has to realise that the short people need to know where he is - not the other way around. I am a big fan of this bloke but he needs to join the fan club- if you can monster Jacobs (Adelaide) the midjets aint gonna stop you.

Shagga was OK - can now kick straight (see 2010) - will always be icing not grunt.

Bathie - if this is his first serious crack at footy then we should keep him on. Still much to learn but on an upward curve.

Shroeder has the skills but can't find it often enough. Still a kid and a keeper.

West - saw his dad play many games a great player. Looks cool and the right shape - a keeper.

Gillies - I didn't see the first half so may have missed some stuff ups but I didn't think he was bad at all. Better than a pick at 25 in this years draft!

Guthrie- must have had a good first half. What he did was cool and calculated. Did not see a lot of it in the second half - at least not in a position where he could do more than take the right option. Which he did.

Mclean? Looks the goods to me. If we need a three to five year fix for the exodus from the defence - he is ready.

Phillips - on the watch list - has some smarts. Just a slip of a lad. Great kick.

Of the others Simpkin looked the one who might be able to step up.

Remember I didn't see the first half !

This was the second home win. I'll have the photos up tomorrow morning. Umpire 15 was Razor Ray in training.. for three quarters, he gave Coburg the game on a plate, we got two lucky in the context of the game (given what wasn't being paid) in the last.. and as our club song played, the physio basically accused Geelong of bribing the umpires. Talk about sour grapes :eek:
I won't do the usual write up given it was on ABC TV and so there are probably people who saw more of the game if that makes sense.
I really liked the second halves of Sheringham and Raidme.. just no nonsense games.. Sheringham's best game for the club. Fisher didnt appear to get much game time at all, and maybe was the player who did not appear after half time. Schroder's second half was great too. Kept busy, and always looked dangerous. Loved the efforts of Dawson Simpson who battled hard all day against two men mountains, and held his own. Cowan could be a player, he is working on his decision making. Weston showed a bit, but seems to struggle a bit as a Stevie J type forward. He'll be looking forward to getting back to the half back I think. Bathie continues to show a bit, while Gillies and McLean had quieter games against Brad Miller, although despite what some in the crowd said, don't think you can blame either. The midfield were lazy and unaccountable in the first half. Ben Johnson and Jesse Stringer showed glimpses, more so the latter, and will be a lot better for the run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Walker continues to show some good signs as a key back, although I think he'll need more time up forward going forward. Byrnesy looked busy and I think will be back in sooner rather than later. Guthrie could be some player. Good poise and class about his game. Mooney performed well all day, getting the best and worst of the umpires at times. Fitness still looks an issue, but has had an impressive month. Phillips could be a player to watch for the top up list next year.

Bathie is looking excellent. I'm expecting next year he will train as a forward. His athleticism, hands & sharp kicking has too much potential to be a full time backman.

Bathie looks to have more AFL potential than Gillies , sort of reminds me of Harley.

Our little guys chipped in , Cowan , Schroder , Simpkin and showed a bit. Mistakes as well but likes Cowans long goal , Schroders mark and goal and Simpkins running goal. All the type of stuff that would translate well to AFL.

Mclean is a player imo. 28 yes but his not a worn out 28 year old. 50 odd VFL games , we may get a Duigan type impact from him if we can play him.

Simpson as OK but not as dominant as Id like. He relies on his height a lot at this level. To me he would learn far more from 20 odd games in the AFL than 40 in the VFL

Special word for Mooney and Selwood. The leadership they showned would be great for others around them , can only be good for the likes Guthrie etc .

You'd actually get about 3300 points

Great win after trailing most of the match.

Impressed with Schroeder, he's one of those blokes that just sees the ball and goes at the ball, simple and tough

Schroder = Chappy mk2 "The Second Coming"

#64 for Coburg [Richmond player] had a ripper brain fade which may cost him a holiday.First he gives away a free.Then he flips the bird at the ump,thinking the ump wouldn't see it,but he did - 50m and goal to Geelong.Then the costly mistake was a minute or so later was when he ran up to take the mark and delibrately bumped into the umps chest.That's a no-no.

David Gourdis,#64 for Coburg,got a 5 game holiday :eek:
Link

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds VFL Round 16 - Geelong v Coburg, Skilled Stadium, 1:10PM Saturday 16 July (live ABC1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back