2nds VFL Round 9 - Collingwood vs Bendigo at Victoria Park @1pm on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

they might be soft but why does it keep happening, happened for the last season and a half.

its funny how he uses his hands to shove the opposition ruck over then he throws his arms out as if to say what was that for.......

i personally think it is very selfish.

i dont know if jolly is an idiot or not, but they say the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing yet expect a different result
The majority of his frees against are for holding, and as i posted earlier normally his opponent has no idea who gets pinged either.

If you are referring to the pushing free friday night in front of goal, that was in the side and Stephenson took a dive.

Some of the frees are there yes, but Jolly gets crucified far more then fellow wrestlers cox, sandilands and bellchambers

ive seen bugger all of yagmoor but i find it amusing that you can make a definitive statement about a first year kid. To say he wont "ever" be something is ridiculous. Some of these kids go from terrible to handy in the space of a pre season.

On another note, has Stubbs started to show a little?
Normally I'd agree.

But we've been sold a a good kicking half back flanker, who can't actually defend, isn't that great of a kick and is soft at the contest.

That's starting a long way back

The majority of his frees against are for holding, and as i posted earlier normally his opponent has no idea who gets pinged either.

If you are referring to the pushing free friday night in front of goal, that was in the side and Stephenson took a dive.

Some of the frees are there yes, but Jolly gets crucified far more then fellow wrestlers cox, sandilands and bellchambers

umpires dont like double actions, obviously jolly is targetted for this type of incident. Umpires do homework on certain players etc, they dont judge each incident on its merits, they target certain things, it is frustrating but it happens, no doubt.
That is why im continually annoyed at jolly's inability to adapt. A ruck free is a massive price to pay in my opinion. Clean clearances are so valuable and a ruck free just hands clear possession to the opposition. In my opinion you have to get a lot of hit outs or have a big impact around the ground if you give up free kicks at the contest as regularly as jolly has been doing

He's soft Matty.

Look at any under 18 players that comes in soft, that only ever gets better slightly.

Sure he may become serviceable as a Simon Buckley type coming in and out of the side, but he won't ever be more then that

Fair shake of the sauce bottle Leon Davis was as flaky as they come when he first arrived at the club. Just because an under developed 18 year old doesn't attack the ball with fanaticism has no bearing on how they'll develop as a player.

You've got the best judge of talent on the forum telling people to lay off and it's just made people go harder. It's just mind boggling and TBH a little disappointing.

Was a little disappointing not to continue on with our good form against Port, but the make-up of the side was a lot different yesterday. We really struggle when carrying the bulk of our ruck stable and the loss of Seedsman early certainly didn't help.

They were the better team throughout the day and the boys deserve some credit for staying within touch, even getting on top for brief periods, but I think most knew the result was inevitable.

Anyway, this week's player review can be found here.

No clear replacements for Swan and Reid (but when is there ever a clear replacement for such talent?) but Ugle shapes as a possible inclusion and maybe even Elliott -- even though we would be pulling the trigger early on him.

Young another possibility as he has worked hard the last fortnight and was best on ground last week, but watching Adelaide's spread against Carlton today makes me lean against bringing him in. He won't be able to offer us hurt factor on the outside and would be at the risk of a collapsed lung within the first quarter if we ran him against the Crows in the middle.

Fair shake of the sauce bottle Leon Davis was as flaky as they come when he first arrived at the club. Just because an under developed 18 year old doesn't attack the ball with fanaticism has no bearing on how they'll develop as a player.

You've got the best judge of talent on the forum telling people to lay off and it's just made people go harder. It's just mind boggling and TBH a little disappointing.
Leon Davis always had freakish talent to go with it. That is the ONLY reason Malthouse didn't delist him. You can put up with bottlers like Didak and Leon early as they bring special qualities to the team. If Didak weren't as freakishly skilled as he is, he wouldn't get a game.

Basically either Yagmoor brings some exceptional skills to the table or he's going to find it pretty difficult to stay on the list.

It sucks there aren't games next week, it will make is harder for Taz because he really needs consistent games at VFL level, while he is recovering.

Some of the boys on the VFL list will be in VAFA action next weekend, so it should be a good weekend for that league with all VFL listed players going back to their clubs.

I'll try and find out where they will be playing, and will update when I know more.

De La Salle OC
Matthew Hine
Brett Eddy (injured)
Sam Williams

While not suggesting Yagmoor will win a Brownlow or anything, I think it bears remembering that Dane Swan was not worth a crumpet in his first couple of years. Very few players come in to AFL football and cut the opposition to shreds in their first year. Give the kid time.

No clear replacements for Swan and Reid (but when is there ever a clear replacement for such talent?) but Ugle shapes as a possible inclusion and maybe even Elliott -- even though we would be pulling the trigger early on him.

Young another possibility as he has worked hard the last fortnight and was best on ground last week, but watching Adelaide's spread against Carlton today makes me lean against bringing him in. He won't be able to offer us hurt factor on the outside and would be at the risk of a collapsed lung within the first quarter if we ran him against the Crows in the middle.

If we add Ugle and Elliott to the team we will have 4 tiny players in Sinclair, Ugle, Elliott and Blair. How many little people can we carry into a game against Adelaide? How do we combat Jacobs, Jenkins and Tippett? Their midfield players looked pretty solid, in fact their whole team looked pretty formidable.

Selection this week is scary with the big outs and ordinary replacements. I cannot see us troubling Adelaide with a fleet of inexperienced short people.

Elliott is 5 foot 9 but would trouble a 6 foot 1 defender with his marking ability.

Ugle and Sinclair are quick small forwards and Blair is a mid and an established AFL quality player.

It would be more worrying if they were all one paced , vanilla short people but they all have weapons which makes lack of height less relevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide has a lot of big bodies, which is why i think young might get a game. Id like to see young and elliot in, both are young but solid builds

Adelaide has a lot of big bodies, which is why i think young might get a game. Id like to see young and elliot in, both are young but solid builds

I agree with your thinking but I am still not 100% sure on Young as he butchers the ball way to much in the VFL

I agree with your thinking but I am still not 100% sure on Young as he butchers the ball way to much in the VFL

Perhaps they gave marley williams the game off this weekend so he can play against adelaide? his a big hard body and would be perfect to replace swan. Assuming his not injured? Williams and elliot in would be exciting.

Perhaps they gave marley williams the game off this weekend so he can play against adelaide? his a big hard body and would be perfect to replace swan. Assuming his not injured? Williams and elliot in would be exciting.

I posted the same thing in the Adelaide Pre Game Thread that maybe they are resting Williams for the Crows Game as I heard he was a Late Withdrawal

Didn't we have the week off the week before as well...?

So you think they are giving Williams 2 and bit weeks to rest up for the Crows game... Doubt it.

Didn't we have the week off the week before as well...?

So you think they are giving Williams 2 and bit weeks to rest up for the Crows game... Doubt it.
No he played in the win against Port Melbourne the week before and was close to BOG from all reports. So just the one match off.

If we need a solid hard at it player Williams fits the bill perfectly,with all our outs and other senior players not playing much football either,this week is perfect for giving Williams a taste of senior football.

As Cobby pointed out our win over the Cats gives us a little wriggle room not much that,s true but with 6 or 7 out from what would be our best lineup and the Crow,s form I do not think we are a realistic chance of winning over there.We should take this chance and the upcoming 2 games to try a few players out not all at once but there are 4 or 5 boys I would like to be given a chance.

While not suggesting Yagmoor will win a Brownlow or anything, I think it bears remembering that Dane Swan was not worth a crumpet in his first couple of years. Very few players come in to AFL football and cut the opposition to shreds in their first year. Give the kid time.
About Yags he is the youngest player on our list he was not even 18 yet when we got him,I see him as an outstanding prospect he has been in the system for less than 9 months and there are people already writing him off how long was Leon given until he came good.

These days no one come,s into the system and dominates straight off it does not happen I think Yagmoor should be given at least 2 seasons before anybody writes him off,he is a great prospect and I think in the years ahead there are a few who will be surprised by him.

Normally I'd agree.

But we've been sold a a good kicking half back flanker, who can't actually defend, isn't that great of a kick and is soft at the contest.

That's starting a long way back
It,s a good thing the coaches have more sense than you otherwise we would really be in trouble,incidentally I think the coaching staff have a complete polar opposite opinion on Yagmoor to you and I know which of them I back with all the injuries and speculation about everything we have done very well to be sitting where we are and you still complaining about a 1st year player with 2 games experience it beggars belief.

He is handy when shovelling out the ball from scrimmages, when he has the ball in space and believes he actually has skill, then he ****s up royally with something dumb or poorly executed.

His worst aspect is his running, more specifically his defensive running. If someone is more than 2 metres away from him he just becomes a dawdling spectator. You can't play someone at AFL level with that poor a tank and intent, more than the stupidity.

He can only make it as an inside ball winner. He must develop a competent left foot too.

My biggest criticism of Young at the moment. Very poor defensively which surprises me because I don't think it was a part of his game when he won the B&F.

I want to lay off Yagmoor as a young kid, but then I watch him play and see someone who needs to be given a wake up call and not nursed.

You can't let blokes who blatantly will not run at the pill and avoid other physical aspects, slide.

Stubbs who is an outside winger/flanker type, showed great courage yesterday going when it was his turn.

Stubbs seems to be over the injuries and is starting to realise some of the potential we all heard he had. Impressed me the couple of games I've seen this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds VFL Round 9 - Collingwood vs Bendigo at Victoria Park @1pm on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back