Voss in 2013 (aka 'the Voss megathread')

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love it if we could snag Tudor for a bit of extra help, but I think Vossy is on the right track. More spending is definitely needed so I hope we use it wisely.

Yes agreed those moves were a sign of improvement and they have both happened in the last month but there were plenty of frustrating times in the years before that when obvious moves were not made and baffling selection decisions were made. While there has been improvement I think Roos could only be a plus and he would provide the expertise that Vossy would have to go elsewhere to be exposed.. His appointment would be at the expense of Harvey who has a couple of years in the club. Time to move on and expose Voss to some more ideas and knowledge from a proven Premiership coach and importantly team builder.

I'm really frustrated with people wanting to move Harvey on. What is it that he is doing wrong?

He was sacked, I think viciously and prematurely from his previous position, is this the reason you have no faith in him? He is an eccentric guy, he has had some odd press conferences (I found them amusing, and I'm sure that is what he was going for), is this what you are basing it on? Or is it a combination of both?

He coached our forward line in his first year at the Lions and the difference from previous years was extremely noticeable. I feel that his influence with our group of players and coaches has been very positive. He's a coach who has been there and done that as both a senior and assistant coach. I don't think he should be moved on, I think he is essential to our team going forward and very important to Michael Voss.

If he wants to Coach, has the players on side, has enough youngsters with potential and more money to spend on football, what have we really got to lose. We are five years in and can ill afford another five year rebuilding under a new Coach, so lets roll the dice and see if 2014 and 2015 can see positive improvement. Voss is too proud to stay on if he honestly believes there is nothing there to strive toward.
He must have learnt huge lessons from the Geelong and Essendon wins and now can concentrate on making those results the norm rather than the exception with a two year extension.

Mediocre at best, I'm not sure his worth keeping on with his record. Hopefully we start fresh next season, and start to rebuild. Too many older guys still in the side and kids missing chances to grow.

Mediocre at best, I'm not sure his worth keeping on with his record. Hopefully we start fresh next season, and start to rebuild. Too many older guys still in the side and kids missing chances to grow.
Maybe you're right. A lot of old blokes in our team.
By the time Mayes is the perfect age of 25, Leuey will be 30 and his ankles will be shot. Maybe they should get 30 odd 18 year olds so they can mature together. This way footy won't be worth watching and I'll get some work done around the house over the next 5 winters.:thumbsu:

I would like to see voss here for another year.. just 1 more year to prove himself

He hasn't done nearly enough for anything more.. sorry

I would like to see voss here for another year.. just 1 more year to prove himself

He hasn't done nearly enough for anything more.. sorry

Sorry...I disagree on this totally. Another year of being constantly hounded by the media about "will he/won't he have his contract renewed" is destabilising for the Club, Vossy and the players. I want him to be offered 2 years or to walk away. If it is the latter, I hope we don't end up like Melbourne or even Carlton in chasing some messaih who delivers duck shit.

Maybe you're right. A lot of old blokes in our team.
By the time Mayes is the perfect age of 25, Leuey will be 30 and his ankles will be shot. Maybe they should get 30 odd 18 year olds so they can mature together. This way footy won't be worth watching and I'll get some work done around the house over the next 5 winters.:thumbsu:

What a great idea .
Good thinking there:p

In a years time we're still going to see similar results to what we are seeing now. Still going to have a lot of guys that havent played over 30 games and some will be close to 50. Its the year after that we should have expectations of climbing up the ladder.

Two years for Voss or three years for a new coach. It's 50/50 atm.

Compare apples with apples please.....
Malthouse has shone like a mudstone this year and after Ratten delivered him a great list on the cusp.
And he is supposed to be the coaching messiah and a naughty boy I might add.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compare apples with apples please.....
Malthouse has shone like a mudstone this year and after Ratten delivered him a great list on the cusp.
And he is supposed to be the coaching messiah and a naughty boy I might add.....

Malthouse is a great coach. The players that he has playing for him are absolute squibs and letting him down.

Maguire and McGrath are old, Brown and Black might move on. Kids need to take these spots now or get a chance.Also we need to get games into Longer and Karnezis. Looking forward to Nick Hayes next year, seems like a real gem on the rookie list.

Maguire and McGrath are old, Brown and Black might move on. Kids need to take these spots now or get a chance.Also we need to get games into Longer and Karnezis. Looking forward to Nick Hayes next year, seems like a real gem on the rookie list.
o_O

If Voss can get us to beat the Tigers then its a done deal for me :cool:.
Sign him up.

* beat the Chemical Bombers tick
* beat the Suns twice tick
* beat Geelong tick
* Tigers TBC (to be crushed)

Sorry...I disagree on this totally. Another year of being constantly hounded by the media about "will he/won't he have his contract renewed" is destabilising for the Club, Vossy and the players. I want him to be offered 2 years or to walk away. If it is the latter, I hope we don't end up like Melbourne or even Carlton in chasing some messaih who delivers duck shit.

I think a one year contract will suffice. Leave the review until quite late in the year to ease the pressure on him during the season, and don't make it a "win at all costs or you are out the door" style of contract. Just shorten it to one year rather than two. Of course, full option to renew if the club is satisfied.

To be frank, coaches are under contract by nature, and if Voss cannot handle the pressure of a one year contract, then perhaps he shouldn't be a coach. Perhaps him being under a one year contract for the first time in his career at the Lions might shake it up a little and perhaps drive him a little harder.

I think a one year contract will suffice. Leave the review until quite late in the year to ease the pressure on him during the season

Clearly that worked this season hey despite the numerous statements by the club that nothing would be discussed or decided until after the season was over. You cant control the media nor the rampant threads on footy websites... and thats what kills one year contracts.

Yeah, one year isn't good for anyone.

Still a developing side and 2 years in a row of a coach fighting for survival doesn't facilitate sensible medium to long term decisions.

Also puts the club under constant focus and pressure from the media as we've seen this year.

Also makes it hard for Rob Kerr to keep signing talent (both already on the list and outside the list) when there is no certainty of where the club is going.

A one year extension will just look like the club has no idea what they are doing. If they can't commit to two, then they may as well not renew his contract at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back