Voss in 2013 (aka 'the Voss megathread')

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Voss haters got very excited and chirpy for a minute there. Their disappointment when we started coming back was palpable. Facebook would have been a laugh.

They'll go back into hibernation now until Round 23.

They'll go back into hibernation now until Round 23.
I'm too lazy to go back to what I posted a few weeks back, but all I asked was we be competitive against Port & Richmond, we've done that so i don't care if we sign Voss this week. We're going forward & 2nd half today showed that. The toss the Voss campaign thus year is as dead as the dodo

Our season has mirrored our games. Really poor start, then pull something out of nowhere and fight back to a reasonable position. Shame we won't complete the 'comeback' and make finals but it's a start.

Our season has mirrored our games. Really poor start, then pull something out of nowhere and fight back to a reasonable position. Shame we won't complete the 'comeback' and make finals but it's a start.
Actually, I thought the scoreboard belied our first quarter effort this week. We came out relatively fierce and determined. They took the game on and went forward with intensity and purpose. We struggled inside 50 and failed to score but the general play whilst sloppy was confident and promising. Having no genuine forwards killed us. In games gone by, play would have been far more concentrated in our back half and we would have been turning it over down there going sideways rather than where we did up forward. Plenty to like and definite improvement both in style of play and general attitude and confidence.:thumbsu:

Actually, I thought the scoreboard belied our first quarter effort this week. We came out relatively fierce and determined. They took the game on and went forward with intensity and purpose. We struggled inside 50 and failed to score but the general play whilst sloppy was confident and promising. Having no genuine forwards killed us. In games gone by, play would have been far more concentrated in our back half and we would have been turning it over down there going sideways rather than where we did up forward. Plenty to like and definite improvement both in style of play and general attitude and confidence.:thumbsu:

Agreed - for a long part of the first quarter, we were leading or on par for inside 50s even as we dropped further and further behind on the scoreboard. Our usual problem - against a good defence we don't have that dominant KPF that will either score goals or take enough attention to let our second stringers (Merrett, Martin, etc) to score.

Agreed - for a long part of the first quarter, we were leading or on par for inside 50s even as we dropped further and further behind on the scoreboard. Our usual problem - against a good defence we don't have that dominant KPF that will either score goals or take enough attention to let our second stringers (Merrett, Martin, etc) to score.

I agree that we would have been more effective with a better target down forward, but I think a bigger factor was our sloppy disposal going forward.

There was a telling moment early when Hanley had the ball at half forward, and Leuenberger was in space about 40m from goal, directly in front, but Hanley's short pass missed him by a good 5 metres.

That became a bit of a pattern. One of the frustrating things about our team at the moment is that our damaging outside types aren't always reliable ball users.

I agree that we would have been more effective with a better target down forward, but I think a bigger factor was our sloppy disposal going forward.

There was a telling moment early when Hanley had the ball at half forward, and Leuenberger was in space about 40m from goal, directly in front, but Hanley's short pass missed him by a good 5 metres.

That became a bit of a pattern. One of the frustrating things about our team at the moment is that our damaging outside types aren't always reliable ball users.

QFT

I'm hoping our preseason will involve allot of training around this area as well as our tackling pressure. While some players deliver quality tackles/pressure- I feel it is an inconsistent part of our game.

There's no doubt that missing targets when going forward early cost us badly, because our endeavour at that point was pretty good.

However, it seems to me that our habit of kicking/handballing early in games is at least partly related to confidence and/or perceived pressure, because once we get on a roll (inevitably when well behind) everything seems to change and we get the ball forward with impressive speed and precision.

Whilst this pattern is very frustrating, it's somewhat comforting to know that at least we know that we're capable of playing very good footy - hopefully we can find some consistency soon.

We take too long to switch our plan of attack and just try to slowly work our way into the game when we can't get going. We couldn't take marks in the first half vs the Tiges, we should have held the ball up a bit and lowered the eyes, but we kept pushing that long kick and sure as anything the Tiges would switch it to the otherside where all the space was and run down the opposite wing for a goal. Need to learn to pick up the tempo of the game and not give up possession so easily. If you are holding up the ball around HB - Center you should have some handball options running past or even players running past into space to kick to, or to center the ball to. We have to learn to use the field and go where the space is.

The Voss reign of coaching by quarters - 2009 to the end of Rnd20 [19gms played] 2013

3sin.png

Q1 – 2013 is the lowest win % of his coaching reign – so far in 2013 we have scored the least amount in first quarters than any other team and only GWS have had more scored against them in the first quarter – [only 24pts more than what our opponents have kicked to date against us in Q1 this year] – not surprisingly our 2013 for/against percentage is the lowest of all quarters and it looks a safe call to be the lowest in the Voss time thus far. Our current average 1st quarter score in only 16.1pts the lowest in his time and sadly the average points scored against in Q1 2013 is currently a massive 28.8, this is also the most scored against in any previous Voss quarter again as stated earlier only GWS have had more kicked against them in the first quarter.

Could one suggest that any game plans or match-ups worked on during the week – are failing? If not, what might be interpreted by this? The inexperience thread of defenders?

Conversely – our final quarter has been our highest scoring and highest winning percentage of all quarters – this reads well and a positive could be greater fitness - BUT of course there is also possibility that the opposition could be putting the cue in the rack.

Are there any positives to be drawn from the above numbers? Thoughts?

Really interesting stats there fred. Certainly not flattering in terms of our overall development this season, although with two relatively easy matches left this year it is arguably an incomplete sample at the moment.

What it does reflect is that our last quarters have, at many stages, made us look a lot better than we probably deserve to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm too lazy to go back to what I posted a few weeks back, but all I asked was we be competitive against Port & Richmond, we've done that so i don't care if we sign Voss this week. We're going forward & 2nd half today showed that. The toss the Voss campaign thus year is as dead as the dodo

We have improved, but cmon, we're still 13th on the ladder with a crappy percentange and we can only play 2-3 quarters off footy

I think voss should stay on, not because off his coaching abilities "we can do better" but due to his passion, he wants to grow our sport here, and i really admire that.

We have improved, but cmon, we're still 13th on the ladder with a crappy percentange and we can only play 2-3 quarters off footy

I think voss should stay on, not because off his coaching abilities "we can do better" but due to his passion, he wants to grow our sport here, and i really admire that.
The start of the season killed us. As for only playing 2-3 quarters of football, that isn't the main problem, the problem is that the difference between the good and bad is massive and that if we're having bad quarters we can't seem to minimise the scoreboard damage, which is what the top teams are so good at.

I've always been a very vocal supporter of the rule you don't get rid of who you've got unless you're sure you are getting someone better, Melbourne is a great example of that.

Lets not forget the progression of this team without some of its superstars... No Brown, no Black, no McGrath, and on the weekend half a game without Moloney.

While theres certainly no argument our inconsistency is frustrating as hell at times I'm pretty sure that Voss is pretty aware of it too... I'm guessing his press conferences on the issue may have some resemblance to the message he gives to the coaching staff and players dont you think?:confused:

The team on the paddock in the last few weeks is our future. A team nurtured and developed under Voss's guidance and vision... despite the claims he has neither.

That team, that lacks the superstars and talent so many seem so quick to bring up as "more evidence" of Voss's lack of foresight, planning and coaching nous, looks pretty damn formidable when it clicks. Its good enough to scare some further developed sides and even now grabs the attention of the know it all southern media.

We play some bloody brilliant football when we are on. We're fast, skilled, courageous and determined. Yes sure we can be sloppy and timid too, but the upside of our game didn't happen by itself. Its been drawn out by a guy and coaching team with the patience and passion lots too quickly dismiss. Listening to players like Merrett, Richy and Rocky is easy to see hes passed on a lot of his passion in the club to the players too.

If this thread is going to get drug out every time we play a scrappy half of footy then fair enough. But each passing week reinforces to me if not anyone else , that we are more than on the right track and that there are plenty of other clubs who would like the respect the players show our clubs past and future and the talent, potential and direction our team posses.

Think the slow starts can be put down to our young group and their ability to read the tempo of a game as well as adjusting to the game and their opponents. Strong finishes show we have good fight, good fitness and can adjust, we just need more experience to be able to reduce our portions of bad footy.

Think the slow starts can be put down to our young group and their ability to read the tempo of a game as well as adjusting to the game and their opponents. Strong finishes show we have good fight, good fitness and can adjust, we just need more experience to be able to reduce our portions of bad footy.

On Saturday we had just as many opportunities as the Tigers early but stuffed up the last movement, that was basically due to a lack of poise and the absence of an effective key target. As Chopper suggested you could see us running all over them in the last two quarters and the lack of a key target cost us the game IMO. But gee to watch them take the ball on and attack was fantastic and they gave their all. Attracting a Key Target is the missing link.

Yup, we adjusted at half time and lowered the eyes a bit, stopped giving the tigers easy ball and we came storming back. I think we do have some capable players up forward, but they don't have the experience in where and when to lead, nor do our mids have the time to hit them up, midfield and forward line just not on the same page. A genuine key target up there would be very handy.

I am absolutely stunned if true.

And for what it is worth, Angus Johnson is a liar.

We must have Roos lined up... it is the only way this makes sense.

You're always a legend in my book Voss.

I remember him coming out and explaining finals were our aim in 2014. The general expectation was that we were to be in that group of sides vying for 8th spot this year - which we are.

A bit disappointed, a bit excited, a bit confused. We must have signed up a big name i.e. Roos. I would have thought Voss would have been given a one year extension to get the side into the 8.

I wonder how the playing group will respond...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back