MRP / Trib. Vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Merret has taken out 2 players in 3 games both in the first quarter... Who is gonna cover that?

:D Yeah the bloke with his arms pinned being dumped into the turf should have looked after his head more. Really?

One arm pinned, the other was free. Gotta watch the game footage instead of the youtube replay dude. It wasn't a sling (so defined as having a lift or a second action in the tackle), and if Hurley had got his hand down instead of trying to milk the free kick it wouldn't have even been an issue. No difference between what he did and when players deliberately put their head down to get a free.

Players occasionally put themselves unnecessarily in harms way to get an advantage. Didn't work out too well for him this time, maybe he won't do it in future.

Hello.

Merrett's supsension really annoys me, and not just as a Lions fan but as an AFL fan. If the AFL is serious about making this the national game they need to appeal to fans of the other codes.

I hear a lot about how 'tough' the afl is. I think many people are seriously underrating the toughness of the rugby codes. Suspensions for incidents like this are going make more Queenslanders and New South Welshmen (New south Welshpersons?) smirk than change channels.

No doubt it was an aggressive tackle but isn't that the idea? The game's supposed to be physical. As the tackler you should have 2 goals - 1. Kill the ball 2. Make the other bloke regret ever going for it.

If you chooses to tackle late, tackle high etc. you should be penalised but I seriously see nothing wrong with grabbing your opponent chest high and sending him to the ground. I sincerely hope that Hurley is ok but frankly... See point 2.

Cheers

Chris

Hello.

Merrett's supsension really annoys me, and not just as a Lions fan but as an AFL fan. If the AFL is serious about making this the national game they need to appeal to fans of the other codes.

I hear a lot about how 'tough' the afl is. I think many people are seriously underrating the toughness of the rugby codes. Suspensions for incidents like this are going make more Queenslanders and New South Welshmen (New south Welshpersons?) smirk than change channels.

No doubt it was an aggressive tackle but isn't that the idea? The game's supposed to be physical. As the tackler you should have 2 goals - 1. Kill the ball 2. Make the other bloke regret ever going for it.

If you chooses to tackle late, tackle high etc. you should be penalised but I seriously see nothing wrong with grabbing your opponent chest high and sending him to the ground. I sincerely hope that Hurley is ok but frankly... See point 2.

Cheers

Chris

No they dont.....they have to appeal to the mums that will let their sons (and daughters) play Australian Rules. If the kid plays the game, they have greater participation rates, and quite often if the child sticks at it the child then follows the game and picks up a team, and then the family take them to a game or 3.
It is like cigarette companies grooming young people to their product

:D Yeah the bloke with his arms pinned being dumped into the turf should have looked after his head more. Really?

FWIW I reckon Clarke is bloody stiff. Thought it was pretty average live but watching the replays other then being late there really wasn't a hell of a lot in it.

I still think he was slung out of bounds not "Into the ground"...It was clear merrett was trying to tackle him out of the field of play which is why he feel back wards. Usually when a player trys to sling and dump they end up over the player

No they dont.....they have to appeal to the mums that will let their sons (and daughters) play Australian Rules. If the kid plays the game, they have greater participation rates, and quite often if the child sticks at it the child then follows the game and picks up a team, and then the family take them to a game or 3.
It is like cigarette companies grooming young people to their product

ummm...Aus kick is a bit different to AFL. Parents arent stupid...they dont think AFL will influence the way kids play, as junior footy is very closely monitored, and dont promote hard hitting and tackling

ummm...Aus kick is a bit different to AFL. Parents arent stupid...they dont think AFL will influence the way kids play, as junior footy is very closely monitored, and dont promote hard hitting and tackling

Anything younger than about u/9 and they are only allowed to bump, no tackling.
What's Auskick going to do when they realise you are not allowed to bump if AFL anymore.....
They might have to use one of those tear-off flags

No they dont.....they have to appeal to the mums that will let their sons (and daughters) play Australian Rules.

Cannot stand this argument. I know hundreds of blokes, including myself whose parents let us play footy for the first time in the 80's when the game was renowned for its biffs and hits and the VFA wasn't far off something similar to MMA on a footy field. Our mother's didn't stop us from playing and why would they, because a bigger boy bumped us?

By the time a kid is playing at an age where the hits are a bit harder, such as 14-15, I hardly think a mother has a whole lot of say by then and if she does, who cares.

Just a terrible argument coming from the types of parents that fuss over their child to the point of not letting them fall over and copping the odd bump and knock.

Anything younger than about u/9 and they are only allowed to bump, no tackling.
What's Auskick going to do when they realise you are not allowed to bump if AFL anymore.....
They might have to use one of those tear-off flags

I watch a bit of underage footy.
Now they at the age, under 11s, that they can actually lay a tackle, boy do they love it.:)
They soon learn to do a few sneaky little elbows and sly punches too.
Part of why they love the game .

Honestly, I'm not worried about the fact that Merrett misses weeks. The head should be protected and Rog slung him and concussed him. I wasn't surprised he got multiple weeks as Hurley could miss a week with concussion.

With Clarke, yes his hit was late. But the panel assessed it as body contact, medium impact. It was late but it was just a hard hit. A free/50 for being late should have been sufficient punishment. Sorry but if you play professional footy and can't cop a good old fashioned thumping from a 19yr old. You're in the wrong business. That hit was never going to do any lasting damage.

The Clarke one is more an example, they don't want players going for hits on blokes who are standing waiting to take a mark. I don't have a problem with the 1 week. Anything more would be stupid. Merrett's is annoying that it is 3 weeks, but that is because of carry over points. TBH, i thought 2 weeks down to 1 with an early plea should have been fine. He didn't swing him into the ground, he swung him out of bounds completing the tackle. 3 weeks for that seems wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Clarke one is more an example, they don't want players going for hits on blokes who are standing waiting to take a mark. I don't have a problem with the 1 week. Anything more would be stupid. Merrett's is annoying that it is 3 weeks, but that is because of carry over points. TBH, i thought 2 weeks down to 1 with an early plea should have been fine. He didn't swing him into the ground, he swung him out of bounds completing the tackle. 3 weeks for that seems wrong.

totally agree...The Mrp has got caught up in the whole "Sling Tackle" thing with the 3 weeks. It is clear Merretts intent was to get him out of bounds and not drive him into the ground...Much like McPharlin was recklessly late into a contest he was never going to impact and made contact with Browns head...didnt mean it but was a bit reckless in hindsight. I would add that Hurleys arms werent completely pinned and his right hand hit the ground first but it gave way as he rolled it.

Reckon the Merrett tackle on Majak Daw did him no favours here. Sling tackle when the ball was free, fortunately (for Merrett) into the Kangaroos player and not the ground...

The MRP were always going to burn him tonight

Just watched them both again, Merrett had both arms of Hurleys and sling tackled him into the ground. It's against the rules and he deserved to go. I'm all for strong tackles but obviously the sling is dangerous. Hence it was a very poor act.

Just watched the Clarke one and hard to argue he just braced for impact. Watch the video, he comes in clearly late, never went for the ball, only the man, and actually moves forward in the motion to take out Kav rather than just brace for the impact. Could've done some serious damage.

Obviously I'm annoyed because they are Essendon players and everyone makes mistakes, but both certainly deserved to go.

A certain taxi driver thinks the same about Hurleys tactics..unprovoked assault..IMO should have been jailed..

I watch a bit of underage footy.
Now they at the age, under 11s, that they can actually lay a tackle, boy do they love it.:)
They soon learn to do a few sneaky little elbows and sly punches too.
Part of why they love the game .

Yep, I have seen that with my son's footy in Under 11's this year.

The boys all love the tackling and shepherds, and the best kids really start to look/ play like real footballers. They've been waiting for years for physical contact and to play the real thing.

Think we may see us put up a case for Merrett, at least reduce it to a game only. High Impact (3pts) and High Contact (2pts) are questionable :confused:

Not sure how it was deemed high contact when it was a tackle?

High Impact, whilst Merrett is partially responsible, he did seem to let go before Hurley hit the concrete based Etihad turf...

Interesting to see what we do tomorrow.

I must say that reading many of the posts here reminds me of the level of partisanship that I used to hear at the football when Gary Wilson was running around for Fitzroy and an opponent had whacked him. Though the Merrett incident is clearly different, the parochial analysis of what has happened are all pretty much variations of the following:

(Gary Wilson gets king hit off the ball or when making the play. He collapses to the ground and is concussed / semi conscious.)

First Opposition Supporter: "Aww get up Wilson you big sook, he hardly touched ya!"
Second Opposition Supporter: "Yeah get up Wilson you #%$@ing girl you got the bloody free!"

(Field Umpire, Boundry Umpire, Goal Umpire or all three approach the opposition player who struck Wilson and report him)

First Opposition Supporter: "You would have to be bloody joking umpire! He didn't do anything!
Second Opposition Supporter: "Don't worry about it (insert opposition player's name)!
First Opposition Supporter: "You're a bloody umpires pet Wilson!"
Second Opposition Supporter: "Yeah boys be careful, you can't touch him!"
First Opposition Supporter: "You're a #%$@ing protected species Wison!"

(Gary Wilson is taken off on a stretcher and takes no further part in the game.)

Postscript: Gary Wilson was heavily concussed, suffered from double vision for a time and missed the next week. The bloke who whacked him was given 3 weeks on Tuesday night when he fronted up to the Tribunal, despite the fact that Wilson said that he only recieved a glancing blow that he thought was unintentional.

Yep, I have seen that with my son's footy in Under 11's this year.

The boys all love the tackling and shepherds, and the best kids really start to look/ play like real footballers. They've been waiting for years for physical contact and to play the real thing.

Yes and it is great to watch the progression ,when they finally can play REAL footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back