Toast Warren Tredrea - Elected to the Port Board (Football discussion only)

Remove this Banner Ad

so strange that a football savvy guy would vote for him, id love to know what points were put up to endorse hinkley to continue.

Maybe they just all nod their heads, cause you would think with any debate some of his shite records would have been brought up and you just couldn't endorse it.

If the prerequisite groupthink surrounding Ken’s track record is:

• Port is a tiny minnow at AFL level regardless,

• 2013/14/23 was a miracle of overperformance,

• 2015-2022 was just one of those things chalked up to any number of ‘valid’ excuses (from injuries to ‘it was one bad night!),

• Ken’s 60% win-percentage is comprised of relatively even results in games up and down the slate: including against contenders, in Showdowns and finals,

• Ken’s departure would result in the mirage of a relatively strong Port Adelaide being instantly transported back to the windswept Football Park terraces of 2011/12,

• We’d duly be unable to recruit or retain anyone from outside the LeFevre Peninsula because Ken’s magnetic charisma and connection with players is the only thing keeping/attracting players at/to Albertonghanistan,

You can at least understand why Koch, Richardson, Cassisi, Rucci and others are in a panicked lather about any alleged destabilisation getting rid of Ken might cause.

But as we know, it’s utter nonsense.

You’d think Port was the only club to ever endure a bare-bones rebuild and a period of off-field turmoil, the way they’re clinging to this unprecedented failure of a coach, who hit his ceiling in 2014 and has been pathologically incapable of going any higher.

The culture and mentality of the club is cooked, and Hinkley going ASAP is only the beginning of the remedy required to get this thing back on the rails.

• 2015-2022 was just one of those things chalked up to any number of ‘valid’ excuses (from injuries to ‘it was one bad night!),

• Ken’s 60% win-percentage is comprised of relatively even results in games up and down the slate: including against contenders, in Showdowns and finals,

• Ken’s departure would result in the mirage of a relatively strong Port Adelaide being instantly transported back to the windswept Football Park terraces of 2011/12,

• We’d duly be unable to recruit or retain anyone from outside the LeFevre Peninsula because Ken’s magnetic charisma and connection with players is the only thing keeping/attracting players at/to Albertonghanistan,

You can at least understand why Koch, Richardson, Cassisi, Rucci and others are in a panicked lather about any alleged destabilisation getting rid of Ken might cause.

You’d think Port was the only club to ever endure a bare-bones rebuild and a period of off-field turmoil, the way they’re clinging to this unprecedented failure of a coach, who hit his ceiling in 2014 and has been pathologically incapable of going any higher.

The culture and mentality of the club is cooked, and Hinkley going ASAP is only the beginning of the remedy required to get this thing back on the rails.
Everyone remembers the 138/165 fortnight and the tarps and assumes we were the basket case to end all basket cases, but we were never as bad as:
  • Mid-aughts Carlton & Mid-10s Carlton,
  • Neeld's Melbourne,
  • Leppitsch's Brisbane,
  • Post-Hird Essendon,
  • Post-Scott North Melbourne,
  • Post-COVID West Coast
  • Pre-Clarkson & Early Clarkson Hawthorn
Heck, even Adelaide have a spoon.

We did get 28 as a priority pick, though, so we could trade for a player we should have had access to as a father-son in the first place.

Sack Ken and 2025 will be straight back to the Yes We Ken style fever pitch.

The level of excitement on the terraces after 12 long years will be extraordinary.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everyone remembers the 138/165 fortnight and the tarps and assumes we were the basket case to end all basket cases, but we were never as bad as:
  • Mid-aughts Carlton & Mid-10s Carlton,
  • Neeld's Melbourne,
  • Leppitsch's Brisbane,
  • Post-Hird Essendon,
  • Post-Scott North Melbourne,
  • Post-COVID West Coast
  • Pre-Clarkson & Early Clarkson Hawthorn
Heck, even Adelaide have a spoon.

We did get 28 as a priority pick, though, so we could trade for a player we should have had access to as a father-son in the first place.

Absolutely.

Richmond were rattling tins with the Save Our Skins campaign in the early 90’s.

The Hawks almost merged as junior partner with Melbourne in 1996.

At the turn of the millennium Collingwood were millions in debt, wooden spooners and got smashed by 12 goals by Carlton on New Years Eve.

Kardinia Park was a rickety old sh¡thole and Leigh Colbert and Gary Ayres both abandoned it for greener pastures.

Port though.

Internally and externally obsessed with our acute nadir which is now a dozen years in the rear-view, terrified to cut the cord and make a leap into the future with fresh blood.

When Jack Higgins had his brain surgery over his bleeding issue, I think they took out some of his brain by mistake - the part that deals with logic.

To have a set shot on your left foot, 25m out no more than a 25 degree angle to the disadvantage a right footer, and not even make the distance, smacks of complete lunacy.

Ross Lyon should have torn absolute strips off him so he never attempts it again. The simplest of set shot right foot kicks for s bloke who is paid to kick goals, and he goes and does some fancy shit that was completely incompetent. But but but there was 8 1/2 minutes left.

Too many right footers cant use their left foot and he wanted to be some sort of fancy hero.

He must be another one of those Ken Hinkley supporters Caro got a phone call from.
Man, I must've been so tuned out at this point of the game I genuinely cannot remember the Higgins moment. Need to go back and watch.

While the media has spent over a week attacking Warren Tredrea over a two word response to a talk back caller (let that sink in on the absurdity of it all) Maybe they could spend a bit of time doing some actual football reporting and basic journalistic investigation on why many Port fans are justifiably unhappy? Without denigrating the fans and paid up members. "How dare they boo Kenny those unhinged vermin"

Looking into our two final wins in nine years while losing our last three finals by an average of eight goals doesn't seem to register with them at all. Or our record against top four and top eight teams over 11 years or our long list of soul destroying losses, which there are plenty! Simply benchmark our results against the rest of the competition, it paints a clear picture.

We are expected to just shut up and support the whole club in everything they do and the Senior Coach regardless of what transpires. "Kenny deserves respect" The same Coach who said he wouldn't change a single thing after an 11 goal home-prelim loss and then goes into hiding all pre-season deserves our respect? The same man who has been paid millions of dollars and lobbed up to an AGM and decided to take off early as he had dinner plans. This is the man, the longest serving coach in VFL/AFL history without a GF appearance who deserves our unwavering support, gratitude and respect?

If the above type of stuff is too hard for them to investigate then maybe they could simply analyse the brand of football Port Adelaide is currently dishing up. Unskilled, disjointed garbage that is completely void of anything resembling entertainment.

A month of footy that sees us averaging 64.25 points per game. If people don't boo then I certainly can understand leaving early.

If Warren Tredrea thinks the above is not good enough then I certainly feel vindicated in my support voting him onto the Board.

Koch said it at the AGM this year in Feb. ( also in an interview post extension but I can't remember exactly which one)
I don't think we can take that as necessarily accurate. Board members are supposed to support board decisions in public, even if they disagree behind closed doors. Unless it is a direct leak from another director or first-hand, I would not believe anything said publicly about the board or individual director's positions on any matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we can take that as necessarily accurate. Board members are supposed to support board decisions in public, even if they disagree behind closed doors. Unless it is a direct leak from another director or first-hand, I would not believe anything said publicly about the board or individual director's positions on any matter.
Only know what Koch said. Interpret how you will.

Typically a board or committee does an informal show of hands before the official vote so that everyone knows what the result is going to be and can vote accordingly so that the chairperson can state it was "unanimous".

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The stupid decision to extend stinkley last year, whilst it had "full board approval" was a result of the stupid "ask me in August" call, and I suspect (albeit with no evidence) snowden or others might have made a different call if the timing was different, and right now, they'd surely be rethinking their position

Hence why David Dickbrains has been silent these two weeks.

I do feel for Koch a bit. I haven’t previously and do wish he would come out in support for our under fire member elct. As others have pointed out, he is one man in a role that guides the club forward, not a voting member to my knowledge. He is presented with data (which is a point in time) and recommendations from people empowered to to lead their respective fields. While Membership numbers and fan engagement is high and trending well, the Chairperson can only digest the data in front of him and ensure the business moves forward.

Is there any feel for the situation at hand? Not in the metrics, which is where astute business people should operate from, removing emotion to not cloud judgement. The footy department is where the feel needs to come from and needed to make changes.

I’m no where near what the other lad did years ago, but it’s a slow day on the tools…

CD/WGT: “Players are happy, supporters keep turning up in 1000’s, however there is a large growing number of fans who are growing tired of the messaging and performances match day.”
DK: “Maybe we need to bring in a fresh voice?”
CD: “Josh Carr and Chad Cornes are our longest serving assistants, Lobbe is our longest serving development coach. However Chad allows us to influence Kane’s media agenda which works for us. I think we either move Carr or Lobbe on?”
WGT: “Hold on, in 12 years we have moved on 15 assistants and development coaches, the only time we have had real success in these years is when we have had a senior assistant with plenty of coaching experience themselves. The one constant has been Mr Hinkley and at some point we need to hold him accountable as we have the assistants.”
CD: “But Warren we will lose the players”
WGT: “Then we will draft more, if you aren’t here for the Club we will find others that are.”
DK: “and what happens if we fall back to 2011 levels of performance and issues Warren?”
WGT: “This isn’t the same board, we are in a good position, look at the metrics with Debt and Memberships. Now is the time to pull the trigger and move this club forward.”
DK: “Well, Warren makes many valid points”
CD: “But Kenny is my mate, what about the connection”
WGT: “Chris, are you here for the Club or your relationships?”
DK: “I can influence the audience and turn any situation around, look what I did with this club already”
MR: “Gentleman, this doesn’t fit into my 5 year plan of delivering 3 Premierships, we didn’t account for a coach to be moved on”
CD: “Richo, no one buys your PR effort”

Any idea where Rob’s allegiances sit in this debacle?

Well he had close ties to Carr when Carr was still a player. Connect the dots from there.

Snowdon endorsed the football committee's recommendation to extend Hinkley last year. He is well and truly the enemy.

Have you ever seen a situation where a Board has not publicly said a decision was unanimous particularly with regards to hiring or extending a contract of an AFL senior coach? Outside of Sheedy endorsing Hird over Scott, I can't recall of any.

Your notion of Snowdon being the enemy is absolute garbage.

so strange that a football savvy guy would vote for him, id love to know what points were put up to endorse hinkley to continue.

Maybe they just all nod their heads, cause you would think with any debate some of his shite records would have been brought up and you just couldn't endorse it.

Do you really think the Club would say "actually we debated this and there were a lot of differing views but in the end we decided to stick with Ken"

Of course not!

most probably where ever it means his continuation on the board, in others words a Koch lap dog....sad but true.

He's a member elected Director - not up to Koch as to whether he stays or goes.

I wouldn't be 100% certain Tredrea is the only one with misgivings. We honestly don't know. They like to project an image of solidarity but I doubt it's totally clear cut as Tredrea vs Board.

If it were that clear cut, the Club would have come out and said Hinkley is safe, and shut down all speculation surrounding his job security in the media. Of course, they've stayed silent, and the Club publicly last week (Richo at the Chairman's Club function at the National Wine Centre) endorsed Warren's explanation of the "good call" comment - saying there was nothing malicious in it and gave public backing to his role on the Board and the Footy Committee.

The stupid decision to extend stinkley last year, whilst it had "full board approval" was a result of the stupid "ask me in August" call, and I suspect (albeit with no evidence) snowden or others might have made a different call if the timing was different, and right now, they'd surely be rethinking their position

I am near certain if you took a vote of all the Footy Committee who recommended the extension and the Board who ratified it, it would be near unanimous that they (in hindsight) made the wrong decision.

Man, I must've been so tuned out at this point of the game I genuinely cannot remember the Higgins moment. Need to go back and watch.
Was an absolute cracker of a mistake.
Rarely seen such a cluster**** effort. Lyon should have roasted Higgins for that.

Closest I saw in stupidity was in the same match a bit earlier.

Owen dodged a few Port players, was pretty much on the goal line near the post, could have snapped a goal over his shoulder, but handballed to King for some reason.
King is about 3m from the goal line, directly in front, half fumbles the ball from Owens, then like a giraffe with a broken leg, throws his leg at the ball, it barely hits the outside of his boot, and trickles through for a behind.

Then Steele, normally a decent kick, fails to score after a mark 45m out, dead in front.

Talk about chokes!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back