We’re Going to be Slaughtered by Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Seriously, I expect a huge percentage booster for the Cats this week. They are without doubt the form team of the competition, and their game style will give the Crows nightmares. They are a quick team who love to play direct, attacking football. Ling is the best tagger in the league, so expect Goodwin to have a quiet game, and Bartel, Ablett, Corey and co are all ball winning midfielders whoe are extremely damaging midfielders, especially the first two.

If Ablett pushes forward who will stop him? Johncock maybe, but he’s not at full fitness yet. Chapman is one of the most underrated players in the league as he can play through the midfield and up forward and dominate at either position. I’d give Mattner the role on him but he’s going to have to be on his game.

Steve Johnson is in the best form of his life, and Ottens, Mooney and Ablett and all tall options who will give our defence a lot of grief. Then there’s the speedster Travis Varcoe who McLeod might have to man.

David Wojcinski is the one to watch though, he will cut us up with his speed and creativity off the half back flank. When he goes on one of his runs forward, I have no idea who’ll be able to stop him.

We could be embarrassed come next Sunday.

This game reminds me a bit of the Fremantle final last season. We are struggling. Injury clouds over a number of players. Poor form. The opposition absolutely flying and in the form of their lives. History repeating?

One thing is just about certain; we will not win the game in a shoot out. If we can turn it into a tough, one-on-one stoush (similar to the Sydney game) then I think we can get over the line. If it is free flowing then I agree, we will struggle to contain them.

Seriously, I expect a huge percentage booster for the Cats this week. They are without doubt the form team of the competition, and their game style will give the Crows nightmares. They are a quick team who love to play direct, attacking football. Ling is the best tagger in the league, so expect Goodwin to have a quiet game, and Bartel, Ablett, Corey and co are all ball winning midfielders whoe are extremely damaging midfielders, especially the first two.

If Ablett pushes forward who will stop him? Johncock maybe, but he’s not at full fitness yet. Chapman is one of the most underrated players in the league as he can play through the midfield and up forward and dominate at either position. I’d give Mattner the role on him but he’s going to have to be on his game.

Steve Johnson is in the best form of his life, and Ottens, Mooney and Ablett and all tall options who will give our defence a lot of grief. Then there’s the speedster Travis Varcoe who McLeod might have to man.

David Wojcinski is the one to watch though, he will cut us up with his speed and creativity off the half back flank. When he goes on one of his runs forward, I have no idea who’ll be able to stop him.

This week’s game could go one of two ways. Neil Craig may try and clog the game up and flood the Geelong forward zone and make it the most boring game this season has seen or he may start to get back to his original football philosophy that he wanted his player to implement and start taking risk again.

I think Neil Craig will flood and try and turn it into a 12 goals to 10 goal game because we just do not have enough players in form and winning is what counts as this stage of the season.

We most definitely could be embarrassed come next Sunday but for all the wrong reasons.

I`d be more embarrassed by being a Crows supporter who only makes constant negative put downs of the team and its players.

Try having faith instead of hedging your bets by already justifying why you didnt need to back them in the first place if they lose.

Crows arent playing well at the moment, true, but they still have a side which can beat up Geelong like a red-headed stepchild if they are on song.

We played absymally against Essendon and next week came out absolutely firing on all cylinders against the Bullies. I expect the same next week. These proud men will not want to have two games like that in a row.

I understand what you are saying but don’t compare this years Geelong side to the Western Bulldogs side that we played against in round 2.

This Geelong side is starting to remind me of the Geelong side of the early 1990’s and regularly kicked 25 goals a game.

PS – that Geelong side could not fire a shot at Football Park.

i just want to see the crows play an all out attacking game.
for once, dont flood and see how we mix it with one of the best, quick and attacking sides in the comp.
we have the defence to combat their forwards without dropping numbers back.
give the sarge a rest, bring back mcgregor and plonk him at full forward, one out in the goalsquare (maybe porplyzia at his feet)
welsh and roo leading out to 50.
bocky leading up the corridor
we have the engine room to go with theirs i think (although reilly loss will hurt us a lot)
I know im over-simplifying everything here, but pleeeease i just want to see this sorta game.

neil craig just better not play crap boring footy again! he is often falling in to that line especially in the last 3 weeks against lowly sides.

key to beating geelong will be dominating clearances, an area where i feel we were smashed on saturday. we just have to take the game on, back ourselves in. we are as good a side as any, we pride ourselves on our skills when we play "tempo" footy, lets show our skills at pace and speed.

lets take the cats on. you still never know what you will get against geelong. yes they are in hot form but we need to apply a huge amount of pressure (similar to freo final) we desperately need to use the ball, be accurate in front of goals. we cant let them play there game, that doesn mean flood tho.

we pride ourselves on a top defense so lets see how good they are one on one, not with 3 loose men back there. we desperately need to beat them. got a few hard games coming up and with the form we are in we may be in a very vulnerable position in a few weeks time. losing faith quickly but hopefully the boys can restore it very soon.

Drummond, if we play like we did this week, you'd be right.

However I do think that Craig will get the team to play a style of play to close down the game.

IF we lift our intensity and work rate to that which we are capable of, we not only can win - we will win.

Anything less than that and your pessimistic prognosis will come to pass.

I think we will do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

key to beating geelong will be dominating clearances, an area where i feel we were smashed on saturday.
Actually we won the clearances 39-29. Also won the contested possessions and the inside 50's. Had only one less contested mark. Fat lot of good it did us!

I'd rate this game 50-50 or slightly in the Crows favour to be honest. Our record at AAMI stadium against the Crows as you know is abysmal, one win in 15 years or something. The Crows will be fired up after the loss and lets not forget that they are still a top 4 contender IMO. If we win this one I will finally believe we have turned the corner this year, because this is one of the toughest assignments we always face.

I think this game is gunna be a cracker! crunch game for both clubs and i hope for a good contest. Crows will come out on fire i think after the shock loss to the dee's and we all know that geelong can be brilliant or terrible. just hope we can play like we did vs port but i rate the crows higher and think it will be awesome game, neways good luck to ur mob.

Our delivery inside 50 killed us. That and the fact that we had a ton of shots at goal from point-blank range we didn't convert. I also don't like this lack of attack on the goals from our non-forwards. Guys like Reilly, Knights, Mattner, Goodwin etc, they can kick the footy a long way and should make use of it. West Coast practically won a flag on that sort of play.

And this is sort of my argument about our midfielders not contributing as well as they have in the past. Certainly last year we were getting more goals out of them and not relying on the forwards as much. This area seems to have dried up for us this year.

You can win all those things and then finish poorly dipose of the ball crappily in the forward line and allow melbourne too much space when they move forward with a lack of pressure on players that are notorious for being brilliant in foot skills.
Everything seemingly flowed melbournes way the ball bouncing there way the whistle disadvantaging adelaide and remaining silent when they jump on your guys head in the forward line then becoming holding the ball soon after.
Defense was shocking for 2 terms loose players everywhere decision making was horrible for the first 3 quarters clangers constant and fumbles galore.

Geelong don't look so stable to me, they insist on using something that should well be blocked off by teams but isn't, the center corridor.
If it's blocked off they will be much slower and have to play less direct.
Adelaides worst enemy is it's own disposals at the moment everything else but a bit of looseness in mid-field defense seems fine.
We could use some smarter decisions moving forward and that's about it.
Too often does Adelaide kick forward to the defenders advantage and to expect the forward to win out is ridiculous.
I like the kicking over the top and running back with the flight play kicking into space to the forwards advantage would often yield a goal when players come flooding forward even if they don't mark they are still heading towards goal.

You don't have to like it, but there's a strong possibility it'll happen like Drummond says.

We've been lucky in a number of games this year, falling over the line, whereas we'd been DOMINANT in the past 2 years... and now we're not. Losing aginst Essendon and Melbourne, for goodness sake !

Positiveness I comprehend and appreciate, silly bald statements like "we'll win by 7" --- well, "Earth to person, do do you read us, come in person".

I suggest players attitudes has a fair bit to do with it this year (injuries don't help) plus the other sides are picking up their games a bit.

On current form... doesn't look good. We can win, but something will have to change.

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re Going to be Slaughtered by Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back