We better not make a straight swap Jackson Paine for Patrick Karnezis (Edit: too bad, we did)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like Goldsacks role
I think Karnezis is potentially a more dangerous option. He is more athletic and skilful. What Goldsack has over Karnezis is consistency. Godly rarely let's you down. As I said if Karnezis can improve his consistency he could become a key part of our forward line. If not, he will not last long at Collingwood.

It is a risk, but the rewards if he rises to the challenge would be significant. I think it is worth a punt. I think he has more potential upside than Paine.

I think Karnezis is potentially a more dangerous option. He is more athletic and skilful. What Goldsack has over Karnezis is consistency. Godly rarely let's you down. As I said if Karnezis can improve his consistency he could become a key part of our forward line. If not, he will not last long at Collingwood.

It is a risk, but the rewards if he rises to the challenge would be significant. I think it is worth a punt. I think he has more potential upside than Paine.
Is he more athletic? One of the knocks I've heard on Karnezis is he is slow. Goldsack would be one of the quickest players around at his size.

Dont forget Paine will take a further backseat behind darcy moore aswell whenver he comes.

so he will be well behind the pecking order.
There's no guarantee Moore turns into anything. He's been injured for an age an played hardly any footy. And they wouldn't even be competing for the same position.

There's no guarantee Moore turns into anything. He's been injured for an age an played hardly any footy. And they wouldn't even be competing for the same position.
He's hardly been injured for "an age". He just happened to have surgery on his hip this year. You'd rather he had it before it became a problem, and he's not even going to miss VFL footy as a 17-year-old as a result, let alone AFL games as a Magpie.

He is lot more Versatile as he can go to the Midfield and Wing where Paine can't

HE'S NOT KEY POSITION.

He's too slow to be a 3rd forward and not strong enough in the air to be a 2nd forward.

I went into 2013 hoping that he'd improve on what he showed in 2012 but he didn't, he stagnated, in fact if anything he went backwards and that was showed by the fact that he couldn't get a game, even when Fasolo was out for the year.

This is a fair trade if there ever was one, I seriously doubt if either player will be still playing AFL football at the top level in 3-4 years, but both could be "serviceable" in time.

So it's like the Tom Young and Russel Trades last year?

Is he more athletic? One of the knocks I've heard on Karnezis is he is slow. Goldsack would be one of the quickest players around at his size.
Not sure if he is faster but is more athletic, including better leap and marking ability. I think he provides more flexibility than Goldy and is a more dangerous forward option.

I disagree about him not being big enough to be a key forward, I don't think he will definitely make the grade. But at 194cm and a touch under 100kgs he is similar heights to Roughead 193, A Black 192, J Brown 192 give him time to develop and I don't see his height as a restriction.

Its taken someone like Aaron Black at North in his 4th season to have a breakout year, some players will look better quicker.

Aaron Black is a super athlete with great pace for a big man. He is everything Paine is not. Please don't mention them in the same sentence again.

Watched Highlights of Karnezis on Youtube ( I know, I know it makes even the worst players look good) , however he looks alright. There is definite talent there and hopefully coming to the Club he adored as a Kid will get the fire in the belly and he will work twice as hard.

I remember his debut when he kicked a couple goals with his first few kicks and looked good.

I was disappointed when Paine didn't get a gig this year, esp mid year, when we were crying out for another option. He was kicking multiple goals in the VFL but couldn't get a look in.I read the Reports and heard the talk about his lack of defensive pressure, poor at ground level etc, so this must have been on the mark. Or whether he wasn't a Bucks favourite, who knows.

With the inclusion of White, a fit Fasolo, Lynch still around the place, plus Goldsack & Reid that can play either end, Witts and Grundy who may rotate through there , Paine is well down in the pecking order.

If Paine couldn't get a look in this year, he has no chance next season.

What Karnezis offers that Paine cannot is mobility. He could be a wildcard up forward, has kicked goals in the past, while he has also dominated in the Reserves level over there through the midfield.

Definitely worth a punt I say and who could doubt the Master also :p

If Hine believes he could fill a need, then get around PK :thumbsu:

Consider we might be going after McCarthy in the draft looks a exitment machine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood has offered tall forward Jackson Paine as a straight swap for out-of-contract Brisbane youngster Patrick Karnezis.
Karnezis is in demand with North Melbourne also showing interest and have offered pick 47 to the Lions.
But the 21-year-old, who grew up in Hawthorn, wants to play for the Magpies and is expected to make it to Westpac Centre even if the straight swap doesn’t eventuate.

The above is in Jonny Ralph's article for tomorrow's HS.

He will find his way here one way or another.

I spent a bit of time going through the Brisbane board trying to get some info on PK, he certainly had a good start to his career averaging over 2 goals in his first year, Vossy was a massive fan too up until the end of last year, I found numerous interviews where he proclaimed him as a 10 year player, Raving about his clean hands/marking, Stevie J potential, X factor yada yada yada.

Clearly they had a big falling out due to PK's homesickness, and he barely got a chance this year despite dominating in the reserves, I think he could be a very handy pickup.

Its pretty clear Paine will be traded to Brisbane, which I think is the right thing for Jackson, and gets us an unknown quantity in Karnezis. It's a win for both clubs, and if Hine believes he will improve our list then just do it.

I watch as much VFL footy as pretty much anyone on this board, and while Paine is pretty good, I became convinced this year that he wasn't going to make it for us for one reason: he can't kick.

Can we really line up another forward who sprays them from right in front, next to Trav, on a permanent basis? Half of our supporters would have heart attacks.

SEN had a grab from Paine's manager saying how upset he was, apparently he is a Melbourne boy and loves the pies. I don't know how much you can read into that but he made it clear that Paine didn't want to go really. Be interesting to see what happens. I don't imagine he is in a good enough position to bargain.

So what you and morgoth are saying is that this is a lose-lose trade

Fair trade, both players have been underwhelming at the moment and deserve a chance at another club.

Paine just looks to be too small for KPP, too slow and cumbersome for mobile third forward. Karnesis has his own short comings, but I think both could fill a role, at the right club.

I'd say this deal is fairly likely.

I'll go on record as saying he will make a decent player for Brisbane. That's my prediction. Not a gun, but a solid contributor.

He'll get to play alongside Johnno Brown for a year or two and learn quite a few things. Their forward line isn't exactly humming, so he'll get a few games you would think.

He'll need someone to play alongside to really be at his best, but he'll still do well enough for them.

The only thing that will let him down is if they leave him up there all alone because he won't cut it as a stand alone target, too slow. Or if the homesickness factor stops him from contributing properly.

Good luck to the young man. I believe he could have offered our forward line something, but I'll trust in Bucks and co on this one.

HE'S NOT KEY POSITION.

He's too slow to be a 3rd forward and not strong enough in the air to be a 2nd forward.

I went into 2013 hoping that he'd improve on what he showed in 2012 but he didn't, he stagnated, in fact if anything he went backwards and that was showed by the fact that he couldn't get a game, even when Fasolo was out for the year.

This is a fair trade if there ever was one, I seriously doubt if either player will be still playing AFL football at the top level in 3-4 years, but both could be "serviceable" in time.

Not a KPF oh sorry I must have mistaken him for crumbing forward LOL

Yeah 45 goals as a 20 year old developing key forward in a side that just made the 8 is really going backwards pfft. And your refernce to Fasalo potentially opening up a spot for him has me thinking you may be thinking of a different player given they are completely different players and arent competing for the same spot.

As and for not being strong enough in air to be a 2nd forward - balony. Most of his goals come from contested one-on-one marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

We better not make a straight swap Jackson Paine for Patrick Karnezis (Edit: too bad, we did)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back