We can still make the 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would we not want to make finals?

Everyone bitches about doing everything we can to be successful.
Well **** deserving it. Take the gift for everything is worth.

Bare minimum its worth experience.

A finals loss this year is one we won't need to have in the future.

Amen Bigfella!

We might not 'deserve' to be in the 8, but we didn't 'deserve' Walkers knee injury either...

Gotta take everything you can get in this life....

That can happen, especially in Hawthorne games, hey. All shit aside, i was being serious, if the Crows want to play finals, it may help.

I threw up in my mouth when I realised I had to support both port and collingwood this week in order to make the finals. Just making the decision to support port is incredibly tough for many Crows fans, so if we are struggling to even willingly support your team - I am very doubtful people are going to take the time, effort and money and go and sit amongst the filth cheering for a team we all hate.

I threw up in my mouth when I realised I had to support both port and collingwood this week in order to make the finals. Just making the decision to support port is incredibly tough for many Crows fans, so if we are struggling to even willingly support your team - I am very doubtful people are going to take the time, effort and money and go and sit amongst the filth cheering for a team we all hate.
Oh well if that's how you feel, to which i can understand, i don't think i could ever go to one of your franchise games either. This game is a dead rubber for us anyway, so resting a few players won't matter much, to a port fan any way.

Oh well if that's how you feel, to which i can understand, i don't think i could ever go to one of your franchise games either. This game is a dead rubber for us anyway, so resting a few players won't matter much, to a port fan any way.

Is there a permutation that results in power vs crows in first week of finals?

No. Port can only finish 7th. And Crows 8th.

Best we can hope for is a Grand Final clash. ;)
not likely this year then

next year however...

Port wont make the finals next year
if they show the level of improvement they have this year, they will easily make finals.

i really think that us and them could be fighting for top 4 next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port should improve looking at their list but as we've seen past form is never a guarantee of future form.

Their was a stat on one of the Fox footy shows that I think that in recent history the team that comes out of no where to be in that lower half of the 8 usually drops back out the following year.

Our run of everything going our way got us a top 2 finish, equal first on points, before finals, probably a head of time. Take out the dream run of injuries and the 2 games against the GWS and GC we were probably a mid top 8 team. With similar luck they've managed 7th. So if they don't get that luck next year they will have to genuinely improve in other areas to maintain their position.

I have a feeling they might but theirs no guarantees.

You guys need to get in some winning form. You were ****ing shithouse against Freo last weekend

Winning form is good form. I can't see Port resting players, lose by heaps and then go into finals sputtering. Hinkley will want some confidence instilled running into next week.

You will try and thump Carlton

I think a lot of things have gone right for Port this year (as they did for us last year) and their ladder position flatters them. Not to take anything away from what they have achieved, and the potential they have to develop over the next few years, but I would be surprised if they improve on their ladder position next year.

To put it this way, I currently see them as a 9-12 team. Everything has gone right for them and so they're 8th (now 7th after a team above them got booted out). Next year they might be, say, a 6-10 team, so without a lot of the luck they've had this year, they could easily miss finals.

Similarly I see us as a 5-8 team. In a year where everything went right, we nearly made a GF. In a year where everything has gone wrong, the only chance we have of making the finals is by default.

I think a lot of things have gone right for Port this year (as they did for us last year) and their ladder position flatters them. Not to take anything away from what they have achieved, and the potential they have to develop over the next few years, but I would be surprised if they improve on their ladder position next year.

To put it this way, I currently see them as a 9-12 team. Everything has gone right for them and so they're 8th (now 7th after a team above them got booted out). Next year they might be, say, a 6-10 team, so without a lot of the luck they've had this year, they could easily miss finals.

Similarly I see us as a 5-8 team. In a year where everything went right, we nearly made a GF. In a year where everything has gone wrong, the only chance we have of making the finals is by default.
A good analysis but some times you make your own luck and getting the right people to our club was a good deliberate move. You were unfortunate with injuries but the thing that should disappoint Crow fans the most is how Trigg let you down.

A good analysis but some times you make your own luck and getting the right people to our club was a good deliberate move. You were unfortunate with injuries but the thing that should disappoint Crow fans the most is how Trigg let you down.

Certainly, to some extent you make your own luck. It's not lucky that Port have had a habit of running over teams this year - you get the right fitness guy and you reap the benefit.

It is lucky when you catch opponents at times when they are down on form, or suffering injuries to key players, or when the ball bounces at right angles twice in a minute, leading to goals that take you from 1 1/2 goals down to 1/2 goal up in the last 90 seconds of a game... not that I'm bitter...

Certainly, to some extent you make your own luck. It's not lucky that Port have had a habit of running over teams this year - you get the right fitness guy and you reap the benefit.

It is lucky when you catch opponents at times when they are down on form, or suffering injuries to key players, or when the ball bounces at right angles twice in a minute, leading to goals that take you from 1 1/2 goals down to 1/2 goal up in the last 90 seconds of a game... not that I'm bitter...
I do recall a shot at goal by Gray that bounced on the goal line and back in to play, in the game you are referring to. :rolleyes:

Do you think we were lucky when Westhoff and Cornes get suspended for practically nothing, Hartlett rubbed out for a fair bump. I think it all levels out in the end, you just have to make the most of what is in front of you, take it head on, that is what the Crows didn't do last year, 1 kick away from glory.:)

Just to be clear, this is a post about our chances of making the 8, not how lucky or otherwise Port have been this year (I'm done with that and there's no sense in arguing).

Port's winning margins this year against non-expansion teams who are not Melbourne:

9 (Adelaide), 5 (WCE), 35 (Collingwood), 5 (St Kilda), 9 (Brisbane), 4 (Adelaide again :mad:) .

One win by a double figure margin, against a string of average sides (including us, admittedly). I have less than no faith in getting a favour from them this week. Even if they do win (which I reckon they won't), we will need to make up the % gap ourselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

We can still make the 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back