WE need to appeal our sanctions

Remove this Banner Ad

C'mon Caro...take up the cause!!

We know Rucci and other SA Media won't, the AFC won't.

Rucci would be too busy writing his next article about John Stokes, that player that nobody drafts, is offered by his SANFL club as a top up player yet is somehow good enough to win the Magerey Medal.

I just want to say this. Since this Essendon thing broke, I have held the view that if the AFL didn't sanction them harshly, I would walk away from the game. At 8:20 last night I was very pleased that the AFL had not budged in their resolve to hand down the harshest penalties ever in the history of the sport. I was peeved at the one less draft sanction lost (and really cannot quite fathom what the **** that was - at first Fitzy said loss of first two round picks in both 2013 and 2014, and then mentioned the priority pick at end of first round. Still confused on that one).

I could not possibly see how they could say that Essendon had co-operated in the negotiation phase - there were lawyers at 20 paces (not unlike us) and Hird had issued a writ in the Supreme Court. Not to mention the unsuccessful vote of no confidence that Little made against Vlad last week. Hird was the sticking point and he did not budge an inch until 6:30 last night. I think this is where that gained pick materialised from. AFL wanted Hird out.

So here we are left, unsatisfied that they lost one less pick than us. They also lost $1.7 million more. Hird ousted for 12 months (which IMO is not enough), Corcoran 6 months with 2 months suspended, and Bomber a $30,000 fine. Let's not forget they have also lost their CEO, President, Football Manager and High performance guy in the process and quite probably their long time serving Doctor. There will be pressure on them to keep sponsors, not to mention players. They are also responsible for the on-going medical care of the players for years to come. And, as I said before, we still haven't heard from ASADA.

This perspective is nothing to do with the arguments that you are all discussing, I just think you should know the base I am coming from.

It does.

If we had signed to acquire I would agree

His commodity value pre-existed and we would have been paid for that in all circumstances
No we wouldn't. If he'd run out the clock on his contract and walked into a draft we'd have got nothing.

There is no difference. Whether they are new or existing to your list, the player is moving from an uncontracted status to a contracted one.

**** our CEO and President must be just AFL planted yes men. EAD Chapman
It's not getting shat on by the AFL that hurts, it's our big smiles while it happens.

So here we are left, unsatisfied that they lost one less pick than us. They also lost $1.7 million more. Hird ousted for 12 months (which IMO is not enough), Corcoran 6 months with 2 months suspended, and Bomber a $30,000 fine. Let's not forget they have also lost their CEO, President, Football Manager and High performance guy in the process and quite probably their long time serving Doctor. There will be pressure on them to keep sponsors, not to mention players. They are also responsible for the on-going medical care of the players for years to come. And, as I said before, we still haven't heard from ASADA.

They didn't 'lose' them Jen - they were either removed or chose to stand down as a result of a complete inability and failure to perform the role the were employed to do.

No, as their ex President says, the buck stops with him, as it should.

He left, because he'd been negotiating a deal with Vlad that saw Hird banned for 12 months. Hird did not like this and they had a massive falling out. Hird knew Little was a litigious weasel and thought he'd be protected under his realm. Evans stood down. The irony is, Little ended up doing the same deal that Evans would have done. They lost a very good President all for nought.

From what I can see, there is no avenue available to us to appeal. If this is the case, what do you want to see happen?
Id like Chapman to come out beating his chest to appease the fans.

While he said it does no good, it would help with the disenchanted supporter base. He should know some people aren't too happy with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I can see, there is no avenue available to us to appeal. If this is the case, what do you want to see happen?
I'd want us to explore very thoroughly how the "cooperating" of the clubs influenced the outcomes.

We supposedly were very open, honest and worked closely with the AFL during the saga. We made no threats of court action, we didn't throw individuals under the bus to protect the club. At the time we were praised for our cooperation. Demetriou may have simply made a verbal faux pas and "forgotten" in his radio interview tonight in a moment of weakness that we'd cooperated, but given that he used this "cooperation" as justification for the differing harshness of ours/Essendon's penalties then we should be seeking answers.

The Bombers fought tooth and nail, made threats and accusations about the impartiality of the AFL and the AFL Commission, threatened legal action, denied wrong doing. And they are praised for their cooperation.

It doesn't make any sense. Should we have closed up shop, denied everything and taken to the courts? Pinned it all on a renegade John Reid and corrupt Blucher? Would that have led to a better outcome for us? Did the AFL at the time tell us that it would be beneficial for us to submit? If the punishments don't reflect this then we were poorly advised by the AFL.

And if what we did is actually worse than we all think and we truly didn't have a leg to stand on, then why are those responsible still at the club?

Look their is probably nothing they can do to change anything but some clubs have an us vs the rest thing that works for them, Collingwood have it, Port have it, and it obviously works to connect the club and officials with the average supporter.

I'm sure theirs some benefit to being in the AFLs good book, but over and over its shown the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Just watch Port get that opening game at AO next year.

I'd want us to explore very thoroughly how the "cooperating" of the clubs influenced the outcomes.

We supposedly were very open, honest and worked closely with the AFL during the saga. We made no threats of court action, we didn't throw individuals under the bus to protect the club. At the time we were praised for our cooperation. Demetriou may have simply made a verbal faux pas and "forgotten" in his radio interview tonight in a moment of weakness that we'd cooperated, but given that he used this "cooperation" as justification for the differing harshness of ours/Essendon's penalties then we should be seeking answers.

The Bombers fought tooth and nail, made threats and accusations about the impartiality of the AFL and the AFL Commission, threatened legal action, denied wrong doing. And they are praised for their cooperation.

It doesn't make any sense. Should we have closed up shop, denied everything and taken to the courts? Pinned it all on a renegade John Reid and corrupt Blucher? Would that have led to a better outcome for us? Did the AFL at the time tell us that it would be beneficial for us to submit? If the punishments don't reflect this then we were poorly advised by the AFL.

And if what we did is actually worse than we all think and we truly didn't have a leg to stand on, then why are those responsible still at the club?

All very good questions (and ones I will seek answers to).

My take on why Clubs don't end up taking the AFL to court to question the legality of the draft system, the salary cap. etc etc. is because they all signed up to be a part of the Commission, and operate under their rules and regulations. Clubs often threaten legal action, but none is ever taken - for one reason, and one reason only. If it were taken to court, the whole structure of the League is torn apart and we no longer have a sport. This is why Essendon under Little were all full of bluster and pomp, and folded like we did in the end. They all do it "for the good of the game". You will always get your mouthpieces like Eddie and Kennett - but do they ever achieve anything, really? It gives the supporters warm fuzzies that "they took it to the fat prick", but really that's all.

All very good questions (and ones I will seek answers to).

My take on why Clubs don't end up taking the AFL to court to question the legality of the draft system, the salary cap. etc etc. is because they all signed up to be a part of the Commission, and operate under their rules and regulations. Clubs often threaten legal action, but none is ever taken - for one reason, and one reason only. If it were taken to court, the whole structure of the League is torn apart and we no longer have a sport. This is why Essendon under Little were all full of bluster and pomp, and folded like we did in the end. They all do it "for the good of the game". You will always get your mouthpieces like Eddie and Kennett - but do they ever achieve anything, really? It gives the supporters warm fuzzies that "they took it to the fat prick", but really that's all.

Incorrect - the AFL would no longer have a business. The great sport of Aussie Rules Footy would remain (and probably be better for it).

Incorrect - the AFL would no longer have a business. The great sport of Aussie Rules Footy would remain (and probably be better for it).

The Commission was formed because the sport almost went bankrupt with in-fights and squabbling. A decade or so later, all clubs handed almost all their power to the commission (with the exception of bringing in new clubs or deregistering others). That is why the AFL is such a strong sport.

The Commission was formed because the sport almost went bankrupt with in-fights and squabbling. A decade or so later, all clubs handed almost all their power to the commission (with the exception of bringing in new clubs or deregistering others). That is why the AFL is such a strong sport.

Oh I know how it all went down, but again you refer to the AFL as a "sport". Aussie Rules Football is the sport, the AFL is a business masquerading as a league.

Do we really think the AFL waited until the last round before dropping on Essendon because it didn't have enough evidence. Keeping the Bombers alive until late did nothing for it bottom line in gate takings either.

Oh I know how it all went down, but again you refer to the AFL as a "sport". Aussie Rules Football is the sport, the AFL is a business masquerading as a league.

Oh and I agree. It's just that we all signed on for it. And thus we have to play by their bloody rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

WE need to appeal our sanctions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back