Cancelled
10k Posts
Apr 27, 2005
8th place
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Ham, Tony Pulis hat
I guess you can say im overreactin from a simple pre season game were 2 of our best 5 midfielders are missing but one thing that stood out like dogs balls for me today is our entire midfield have no idea how to kick a football, sure they do get the ball enough times but id say they all have a incredible amount of ineffective kicks

Kerr kicking style is weird and made for floaters IMO, Judd stabs at the ball, Embley also stabs at the ball and always seems to skew it off the side of his foot, Fletcher well i dont have to say anything here, in fact apart from Stenglein and Cousins our entire midfield are shocking kicks.

IMO the midfield is very overrated, they get the ball but what they do with it is another story and something that is overlooked.

Our skills were really down today but we are about 3-4 weeks behind where we have been for the last few years. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Its a fair comment when you do the research, look at our ineffective kicks and behind per goal, were no 2 and no 1 in the league for each respectively, I just think its something that will always seperate our midfield to that of Brisbanes in their dynasty era.

Embers said:
I guess you can say im overreactin from a simple pre season game were 2 of our best 5 midfielders are missing but one thing that stood out like dogs balls for me today is our entire midfield have no idea how to kick a football, sure they do get the ball enough times but id say they all have a incredible amount of ineffective kicks

Kerr kicking style is weird and made for floaters IMO, Judd stabs at the ball, Embley also stabs at the ball and always seems to skew it off the side of his foot, Fletcher well i dont have to say anything here, in fact apart from Stenglein and Cousins our entire midfield are shocking kicks.

IMO the midfield is very overrated, they get the ball but what they do with it is another story and something that is overlooked.

i actually think ur quite right...judds disposal is not as good as the commentators make out fletcher's has gone backwards...kerr's action is wierd and is ussually a bombed kick....embley the same....stenglien is great....cousins is great off both feet at goals and kicking to leads but doesn't have penetration.....braun is great...wirrapunda is great as well and does deliver to midfield alot so we missed that..... not overrated though bcoz we work around the problems

Kerr goes under and bombs away....fletcher can chip the ball good and with lots of time is alright so he's a reciever..cousins can do both and will ussually be the one to go inside 50 and hopefully have the forwards make it stick...embley is used ato go at goal a fair bit etc...

yeah thats all

Tredders66 said:
This sounds like a troll to me.. hardly a eagles supporter. I would be more worried about the foward line.

Marking floaters and bombed kicks over ur head isnt as easy as we make it look :cool: , seriously fixing our kicking accuracy wud go a long way into improving our forward line IMO but even then itd still be a bit off of what we need it, but in all honesty they have to shoulder a bit of the blame too and not just the KPP forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Embers said:

Give it a rest.

You're going to be chasing your tail a fair bit this season.

At least wait until the real stuff starts.

Locky said:
First game of the preseason, of course our skills are going to be sloppy..
Worst Post of all times I think, especially since it wasn't even a troll attempt..

Stats dont lie

We are no 1 for ineffective kicks

Locky said:
First game of the preseason, of course our skills are going to be sloppy..
Worst Post of all times I think, especially since it wasn't even a troll attempt..

Agreed, especially since our preseason has been about 4 weeks shorter than Freo's.

Consider that in the year Collingwood played their second Grand Final the Eagles thrashed them by over 100 points in the first preseason game. Also Carlton won last year, but it didn't help them come the regular season. These are practice matches, nothing more.

Debaser said:
Agreed, especially since our preseason has been about 4 weeks shorter than Freo's.

Consider that in the year Collingwood played their second Grand Final the Eagles thrashed them by over 100 points in the first preseason game. Also Carlton won last year, but it didn't help them come the regular season. These are practice matches, nothing more.

At the ages of 18-24 u have to show signs of improvement IMO and from training and other things ive noticed the midfield is definetly getting complacent. They gotta start trying to improve instead of remaining content at where they are right now

Judge the team on their performance in Round 1 of the regular season instead of this mickey mouse pre-season comp.

Embers said:
At the ages of 18-24 u have to show signs of improvement IMO and from training and other things ive noticed the midfield is definetly getting complacent. They gotta start trying to improve instead of remaining content at where they are right now
Judd, Embley and Kerr. Such passengers!

If we get to round 1 and we're still playing like we did today, which I doubt they will be, then I'd be concerned. I don't think it's time to panic just yet, the season hasn't even begun.

Judd can really have a bad day when it comes to effective passing. Last years GF showed that quite clearly. I didn't think that he deserved the Norm Smith only because of all of his possessions, so many were ineffective. Having said that, he is very much a hunted player, and with that much pressure its not that surprising to see players muck it up.

Still a very good running kick for goal mind you... one of the best I've seen.

I dont think u actually read my post, I didnt say they are terrible, im saying they are overrated and definetly not as good as Brisbanes midfield was in there run, if we want to be as good as the Voss Aka Black Lappin Power combo the likes of Judd and Kerr are gonna have to improve there kicking accuracy, stats dont lie mate, we kick alot of ineffective kicks and ive seen no sign of that changing, in fact our kicking has gotten worse over pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

Weagles midfield is terribly overrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back