Weaver's phantom draft 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be a 180cm or below rover with reasonable in and under ability, but average to below-average footskills and pace.

Being a Freo fan, you should probably be familiar, as you have many of this type.

if only we had a tarkyn lockier or shane o'bree to help us..

by the way i read earlier that you thought dean kelly was more of a chance as a rookie rather than in the draft. you don't think heath blacks input may sway the dockers into picking him up with their last pick?

I think Essendon will go extremely small in this draft. Our talls that we are replacing this year did not play and while we need to be aware of succession planning for the future I think we will use our strong draft position to seriously beef up our midfield.

I agree with Ant555 (and not just because of his name :p ). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we take 4 talls, espescially if you assume we'll let Henneman go and have 7 picks between the ND and PSD.

With only 2 tall backs (Fletcher, Lee), three tall forwards (Lloyd, Lucas, Johns), and Bradley & Neagle to fit in there somewhere (Bradley looks more like a winger/HFF, and Neagle looks a bit short), we have some real height issues. Espescially consider Fletcher, Lloyd & Lucas's ages.

There appear to be some very good talls who should be available around some of our picks. I think we'd be fools to not get at least 3. The midfield has Nash/Dyson/Slattery/Lonnegen/Monfries/Dempsey/Winderlich as possible candidates to step up. Our tall positions have NO reserves at all.

51. Sam Sheldon (Carlton) – Son of Kenny and eligible under father-son rule but probably not quite worth sacrificing the pick. Is a clever outside wingman. Predominately played school football and missed the tail end of the TAC season with injury – which means he has not had too much exposure. Good athlete with reasonable skills.
Weaver, what type of player could Sam develop into next year if he spent another year playing in the TAC cup?

Does a club get another chance to draft the player the next year using the Father-Son rule if they're overlooked?

great effort weaver, i always look forward to reading your posts and opinion. i dont quite understand why you think richmond wont take nathan brown at 13 given our need for a key defensive post (full back) and that he is highly rated by those (that i think are) in the know.

great effort weaver, i always look forward to reading your posts and opinion. i dont quite understand why you think richmond wont take nathan brown at 13 given our need for a key defensive post (full back) and that he is highly rated by those (that i think are) in the know.

There hasn't been a fullback born who is worth pick 13. Also our defensive needs are not as dire as many think. You treat the disease (midfield) not the symptoms (leaking goals)

There hasn't been a fullback born who is worth pick 13.

Plough would give his balls for Matt Scarlett, Weaver. He'd throw pick 13 in for free.

Plough would give his balls for Matt Scarlett, Weaver. He'd throw pick 13 in for free.

World of difference between an established senior player like Scartlett or Fletcher and a 17 year old kid.

Simply truth is that you are just as likely to get Rutten, Michael, Carroll via the rookie list as via an early pick. Or a guy like Harris with pick 71.

The percentage of fullbacks off the rookie list or with a late pick must be the highest for any position.

There is just no value in taking them early. Like spending $100k for a Honda Civic.

World of difference between an established senior player like Scartlett or Fletcher and a 17 year old kid.

Simply truth is that you are just as likely to get Rutten, Michael, Carroll via the rookie list as via an early pick. Or a guy like Harris with pick 71.

The percentage of fullbacks off the rookie list or with a late pick must be the highest for any position.

There is just no value in taking them early. Like spending $100k for a Honda Civic.

Well said. Also the fact is that while they might've played CHF all their life, they could end up down back. Rutten was a junior forward all his life and so were many other FB's.

Righto. Slight misunderstanding the 'worth' comment.

Plus, I get this weird twitch when a the words 'full-back', draft pick' and 'worth' are used in the same sentence.

Must get that checked out.

There hasn't been a fullback born who is worth pick 13. Also our defensive needs are not as dire as many think. You treat the disease (midfield) not the symptoms (leaking goals)

Great draft, very very good effort i say.

Just thought Silvagni might've been worth a tad higher than 13. Just an idea tho ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howdy Weaver,

Boak seems to have been a big riser (perhaps since you put him at down at 13 for us, when it seems he wasn't rated as highly by others). Now there's talk of him being a pick 7 - too high you think?

If he's gone, which midfielder would you prefer Richmond to take @ 13? As I read it it seems Connors, O'Keefe, Armitage & Hislop should be about, and possibly even Proud (though I can't see him slipping that far). I know you rate Proud highly and am also interested in your thoughts as to why he would have slipped in the estimations of others recently, but I'd like Armitage then Connors (with Proud the preference over all of them, even Boak)

Cheers

1. Bryce Gibbs (Carlton). This is an era of dominant midfielders and Gibbs is by far the brightest midfield prospect available. Genuinely football smart and takes up intelligent, dangerous positions, accumulates high kick numbers, uses the ball superbly and creates and kicks goals. Not a speedster and probably not a hard-ball player; very much in the Ben Cousins or Nick Stevens playmaker mould. Will play next year and will be a preseason favourite for the Rising Star. At 187cm he is very much the modern midfielder who could develop into a Lenny Hayes type centre square presence.

15. Clinton Benjamin (Sydney). The Swans have hybrid winger/KP players at both ends (O’Keefe, Kenneally, Bolton, O’Loughlin). Benjamin fits that mould. He is super quick, tall, well skilled, and extremely versatile. They don’t need someone to play straight away but he will provide depth in a couple of spots. Has electric pace and is extremely versatile. Needs to learn to kick on his left.

21. Mark Austin (Kangaroos) – Prospective CHB who has impressed at under-16 level, tested well in camp, and is showing impressive development for a bottom age player. Will be amongst the first key position players taken. If the Roos take the CHF Gumbleton early they will be in a good position to lock up the two key position spots. If they take CHB Hansen they may have to reach for Tippett as a FF option.
34. Shaun Hampson (Brisbane) – Lions will probably want a ruckman and will be keen on the local trio. Hampson is the least publicised but is a good mark, has reasonable skills and is a passable athlete. Deceptively quick for a guy his size but might lose that as he adds the necessary bulk. Reasonable hands at ground level.

43. Shaun Grigg (West Coast) – Superb all-round footballer without any real stand-out qualities. Very much the guy who would get 7 out of 10 in every area without getting a 10 in any. OK pace, skills, marking, goalkicking etc. Played back last year and was a fringe candidate. Rotated between centre and deep forward this year and impressed. That versatility will help him – but he’ll need to become excellent at something to stick in the AFL.
81. Joseph Anderson (West Coast) – Mostly played half-back for NT and was the best performed player for the season. Was tough, kept playing hard when the team struggled, and showed a good leap and no fear flying at the contests. Tested well for pace although didn’t always look quick on the field. A couple of summers building his stamina might fix that.
A potentially very good draft that adds three pacy wingmen, a quick key defender, a 200 cms ruckman and last but not least, the poise, skill and class of Gibbs to a very young list. All of these players can run 20 metres in close to or under 3 seconds and have an upside to their game which will hold them in good stead for the future. :)

Love it! :thumbsu:

7. Daniel Connors (Geelong). Connors has the appeal of being able to play both inside and outside. In close he has quick reflexes, vision and awareness to thread handballs through gaps only he sees. Outside he can tuck the pill under his arm, carry and kick with penetration and accuracy. Also has a handy high-mark in his locker. Not completely dissimilar to Heath Black and should be a solid third / fourth best midfielder in the AFL for 150 games. Ordering the midfielders is always tough but Connors should be one of the first to go.

10. Shane Edwards (Collingwood). Very much an outside winger with electric pace and long-kicking. Loves open-spaces and showed some toughness in the SANFL that belied his light frame. Can be wasteful when he runs too far and doesn’t steady before kicking. Has good form in senior company, finishing the season very strongly and moving up the draft board. Has no left foot which could be a problem.

:)

yup. what would you want with a guy who went no.5 with your pick 13 :p

Bentleigh is clueless when it comes to the draft.

Silvagni may have been worth pick 13, but when he was drafted, no-one knew what he'd become. There's little way to know which KPP will work and which wont. Players like Rutten and Cox have come from the rookie list and play their position the best out of anyone in the AFL.

Drafting Edwards and Connors may help solve the illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back