Weaver's phantom draft 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
David_Brent said:
Cooney isnt even sub 3 secs.

I think you are making that up.

ummm actualy no he is correct!.....peter street has broken 3 on 20m sprint,now would you say him and cooney cover the same ground when running into 50 after 2 bounces and slotting 1 through..eerrr NO!

i was saying that you cant test what game situation brings!...yes 20m sprint tests running in a straight line,vertical leap tests explosive power!!!!

i said you cant test what movements are on the ground!..read what i wrote and youll understand!

GRANGE_GSM said:
ummm actualy no he is correct!.....peter street has broken 3 on 20m sprint,now would you say him and cooney cover the same ground when running into 50 after 2 bounces and slotting 1 through..eerrr NO!

i was saying that you cant test what game situation brings!...yes 20m sprint tests running in a straight line,vertical leap tests explosive power!!!!

i said you cant test what movements are on the ground!..read what i wrote and youll understand!

I can read, but I couldnt understand what you meant. Trying to understand that post like unravelling a puzzle.

scooter600x said:
Eade said that when he was with Hawthorn he and Geoff Ablett were the only two on the list who could do a sub 3 sec 20m. He said the Dogs team now has over 20 blokes that can do it.

Cooney would definately be one of them but I believe Street managed it as well (only had to take a few steps, after all).

I believe the article you got this information from is this one:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4165624&postcount=1

And it was 15-16 not 20 players that go under 3secs.

And Cooney said himself:

"I'm slow over 20m. I think we've got 12 blokes who can go under three seconds at our club for 20m and I'm not one of them," Cooney said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/foo...E19742,00.html
(unfortunatley the link has expired but this was written pre season last year, I found it by searching the main board).

Anyways, I am not really making the point I set out to make. What I am trying to say is that I know DC times ar not the be all and end all. However, Riewoldt is being criticised because of his pace off the mark and it is exactly the same as a key forward who is ranked top 5. Interestingly, Josh Kennedy ran .05 slower than Riewoldt last year for the 20m. And Weaver had him going pick #1. Not dishing Weaver, its just all about perception. Thats why alot of people on bigfooty get set views on a player based on limited information and get it wrong.

sorry...im terrible at puzzles!..ok reiwoldt/mckenzie/gumblton yes proberly all similir times in 20m....but what i was saying is you cant measure(test) the way a player moves or reacts in game situations...

GRANGE_GSM said:
sorry...im terrible at puzzles!..ok reiwoldt/mckenzie/gumblton yes proberly all similir times in 20m....but what i was saying is you cant measure(test) the way a player moves or reacts in game situations...

I agree entirely. However, I dont think Riewoldts loses out much in respect to footy smarts or any game day scenario.

ant555 said:
If we take Mourish who is very unproven and an extreme risk before a bloke like Grigg or similar then some serious questions need to be asked. The mix we will take this year will be 3 talls 3 mids.

I think Essendon will go extremely small in this draft. Our talls that we are replacing this year did not play and while we need to be aware of succession planning for the future I think we will use our strong draft position to seriously beef up our midfield.

GRANGE_GSM said:
i said in games....read the full quote! once again il say it again!...athletic ablilty in games not at camp!!!!!!!

If a player is slow at the DC, he doesnt magically become quick on the footy field. Anticipation and footy smarts will get you somewhere but when its a straightout lead to the ball carrier from a standing start, that just comes down to speed and thats when DC times will come into it.

David_Brent said:
If a player is slow at the DC, he doesnt magically become quick on the footy field. Anticipation and footy smarts will get you somewhere but when its a straightout lead to the ball carrier from a standing start, that just comes down to speed and thats when DC times will come into it.

The test that recruiters put a lot of credence in is the repeated sprint test. Where they have to run several sprints in a short time. This is a better test in relation to simulating an AFL game.

foj1 said:
The test that recruiters put a lot of credence in is the repeated sprint test. Where they have to run several sprints in a short time. This is a better test in relation to simulating an AFL game.

I think thats aimed at midfielders alittle more who run from contest to contest. Key forwards rely on that burst of speed for the lead thats why the 20m will always be important for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

look,im not going to try and explain to you anymore.your obviously very delecate with the reiwoldt situation;) ....but im sure most posters on here would understand what im saying but you obviuosly connected to reiwoldt so you dont see through this

Weaver said:
My question for the Reiwoldt bandwaggon - what exactly does he offer that Will Gayfer or Heath Grundy didn't? Riewoldt is a slow key forward. AFL clubs don't want those guys.

ouch. harsh but fair.

I think a lot of people are falling victim to either - name recognition, 2nd Division syndrome, player popping up on telly syndrome, or Big Footy syndrome were people repeat other people's opinions so often that group think develops.

or there is another option, perhaps these people are just idiots?
I'm not saying you're right - and to be fair, I don't think you're saying that either. Equally I am not sure you're wrong either - however, there will always be many passengers on the SS Nincompoop.

maybe Jack will turn out to be a great player, maybe he won't, but anyone who claims to know is a fool.

so in short, good work.

Crow-mo said:
and what exactly does that have to do with the price of eggs? or even his lateral movement?

If you read the thread then you will know that people have been questioning Riewoldts pace. Even a person of average intelligence might understand a test which measures a players 20m sprint time might, does measure his speed.

David_Brent said:
If you read the thread then you will know that people have been questioning Riewoldts pace. Even a person of average intelligence might understand a test which measures a players 20m sprint time might, does measure his speed.

and yet a person of average intelligence can see what post he was quoted as replying to... seeing as this is beyond you... ;)

Well done Weaver, off course nobody is ever going to get the list right but I think you have had a good crack at it.

I'm Interested in Rhys Magin, Rhys is still bottom aged and performed well with the Suncoast Lions this year, why do you reckon Richmond?

He is a great kid and I have heard that he will go this year but don't know where.

bringbacblight said:
I'm Interested in Rhys Magin, Rhys is still bottom aged and performed well with the Suncoast Lions this year, why do you reckon Richmond?

Horses for courses really. Can be dangeous to get too focussed in on player types - but those very light, very raw, very outside wingmen have been favourites of Scott Clayton at the Dogs for years. Richmond have gone that way recently, and probably see someone like Raines as an example of what to do.

Draft a guy who can run and kick. Then beef him up and figure out how to get the ball in his hands.

I just think other clubs might be less likely to take the gamble on a guy like that who is truth a fringe candidate and more likely to be looked at next year.

Another factor that may come into play is Craig McRae's appointment at Richmond. He has coached QLD these last couple of years and so if there is a QLD guy a little under the radar he might prod Richmond in the ribs and try to influence them on draft day.

great thread weaver. your player profiles are very interesting.

forgive my ignorance but what is a "vanilla rover"?
That would be a 180cm or below rover with reasonable in and under ability, but average to below-average footskills and pace.

Being a Freo fan, you should probably be familiar, as you have many of this type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back