Week one of the finals all out of Victoria ?

Remove this Banner Ad

You've made more posts about Melbourne than the Melbourne supporters in this thread.

Think you might be obsessed mate.
lol hardly
i have over 15,000 posts on this site.. Go count how many are Melbourne related.. I waste time but not that badly

There's a small chance north will miss finals but it seems like that's a fait accompli the way its carried on

Fd

Pretty chirpy for a bloke who is about to witness his club freefall to the bottom of the ladder for the next decade. Make sure you use your counting skills to count the days between your wins too, because they will be few and far between and your club is in for a world of hurt.

The way your club has recruited the last 5 years thinking it is a genuine premiership chance has been embarrassing in all honesty.

Run along
Bigfooty has been telling us all that for 10 years

Hasn't happened yet but we'll keep and eye out

Bragging that "At least we haven't been bottom for 10 years!" without a flag to show for it isn't a good look.
When comparing your side to Hawthorn it's been a failure

When conparing to the Richmond, Melbourne and Carltons in the same timeframe you can sleep easier at night

The only ones that care about whether there is finals in Melbourne are the suits at AFL house, you get all year to qualify for finals and where it lands it lands. Every bit as exciting no matter where they are played. Finals are only more exciting in Melbourne for Melbourne people.

Not if your team isn't in it.

On topic....seriously who cares.

We've had an inquiry into the state of Victorian Football after 2006.....Since then Victorian sides have won all but 1...where's the inquiry into interst.....oh wait, we're not Victorian so the suits at the AFL don't give 2 shits unless you are their love child.

If it happens, it happens, get over it.

When conparing to the Richmond, Melbourne and Carltons in the same timeframe you can sleep easier at night

Absolutely it's a failure. We have nothing to show for 10 finals series in 15 years. One of the reasons significant change was made last year.

Absolutely it's a failure. We have nothing to show for 10 finals series in 15 years. One of the reasons significant change was made last year.
It's a major talking point on the north board too.
Some see the lighter of side of not being a shambles on and off the field and being stable in Victoria

Others including myself are of the opinion if you are challenging and don't win it, automatic F

Adelaides recruiting has been second to none, hence your rise up the ladder.
Players like Atkins, Lever, Laird I cannot fault.

It's a major talking point on the north board too.
Some see the lighter of side of not being a shambles on and off the field and being stable in Victoria

Others including myself are of the opinion if you are challenging and don't win it, automatic F

Adelaides recruiting has been second to none, hence your rise up the ladder.
Players like Atkins, Lever, Laird I cannot fault.

It's good that you have that attitude. No point finish perennial Prelim/Semi finalists and giving yourself a pat on the back. It's a toxic attitude to have - it was ours for years.

It's good that you have that attitude. No point finish perennial Prelim/Semi finalists and giving yourself a pat on the back. It's a toxic attitude to have - it was ours for years.
North has always punched above its weight or so history tells us. And although odds are stacked against us resource wise, hawthorn came from a state of mediocrity to be a powerhouse, so it can be done. Zero excuses for any club Victorian or Interstate based to continue to muck it up.

If the crows win their first final it'll be the first genuine chance at a flag since 06.
Crows have done well to finish 2nd with a top6 draw from last year.

Dogs will be hosting an elimination final?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I respect you taxa a, but this post epitomizes the toxic culture that north has evolved.

Didn't get success but there were worse so it's all good. Pats on back, near enough is good enough.

Dogs will be hosting an elimination final?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Most likely.
Dogs v Eagles and GWS v North looking the most likely Elimination Final match ups.
Given GWS and North play next week would be interesting how North approach that game knowing they cannot really gain or lose anything when they get to that match and play the same team interstate two weeks later.
Sydney v Hawthorn the likely 1 v 4 Qualifying Final and Adelaide v Geelong the likely 2 v 3 other Qualifying Final.
I think Geelong will be out to murder Brisbane tomorrow to try to make up the percentage gap on Adelaide they presently have that has them in box seat for two home finals. Geelong got to make a good 6 or 7% percentage up in win over Brisbane to give themselves some hope of over taking Crows percentage in last round to get their own home state final. 100 plus point win got to be their basic aim v Lions.
I'm thinking after Saturday night that 3 of the first 8 finals of this series will be in Victoria and the rest in NSW, WA and SA.

I respect you taxa a, but this post epitomizes the toxic culture that north has evolved.

Didn't get success but there were worse so it's all good. Pats on back, near enough is good enough.
I know mate. Have a look at post 85.
I was pointing it out that too many north people are happy to have a stable club and that's it.

We are nowhere near hungry nor ruthless enough to do anything of note.

The AFL's contract with the Melbourne Cricket Club requires that at least ten finals matches (excluding Grand Finals) are played at theMCG every five years. This means an average of two finals must be played at the venue per year, plus each Grand Final. This is not normally expected to be a problem, but in the event that the non-Victorian clubs dominate the competition, the AFL would be forced to schedule a non-Victorian team's home match at the MCG to reach this quota.

This contract was put together in 2005 after significant criticism of the previous contract from 1992, which required that at least one final be played at the MCG during every week of the finals. This meant that in the event that interstate clubs were to host both semi-finals or both preliminary finals (the preliminary final prior to 1994), one of these matches would be moved to the MCG to meet this quota; this happened in 1993 (Preliminary Final, Adelaide v Essendon), 1996 (First Semi-Final, West Coast v Essendon), 1999 (First Semi-Final, West Coast v Carlton), 2002 (Second Semi-Final, Adelaide v Melbourne) and 2004 (Second Preliminary Final, Brisbane v Geelong).

Finals in Victoria are usually played at the MCG, regardless of whether or not the home team normally plays its home games there. If Victoria is to host two finals on one day, the lowest-drawing final will be moved toDocklands Stadium, except in the event that Geelong is hosting a low-drawing opponent, the second final will be moved to Kardinia Park.

So looks like regardless of just scraping into the 8, north again gets the free kick theyve been given all season by getting a final at etihad stadium, despite drawing either GWS or West Coast who finish higher than them

Yeah it's bullshit and its likely to happen that way but the way I see it is if you compare the 15 wins and 7th to the whole season as a whole. We will finish on 15 wins and a trip to the MCG week 1. You will finish 6th on 16 wins (enough for top 4 in every other year, hell we finished 2nd last year on 16 wins), which sucks also. GWS are in the same boat. Hawks and Geelong will finish 3rd and 4th on 17 wins which is rare too. So look at it from just a 2016 perspective. It's just been one of those weird seasons.

15-7 could give you minor premiers in 1997. One of the most even seasons. You can also say it for this season, except only for the top 7-8 teams.

matches would be moved to the MCG to meet this quota; this happened in 1993 (Preliminary Final, Adelaide v Essendon)

Quick recap of actual context of that time in the league.
This was not moved at all. It was simply a time when one preliminary was the finals system and used to always be at Waverley Park for some time but after 1992 when Great Southern Stand was built the AFL moved it to the MCG and were treating Waverley Park then more as a Hawthorn and St.Kilda home ground than the previous neutral venue it originally was for clubs in the league.

Finals in Victoria are usually played at the MCG, regardless of whether or not the home team normally plays its home games there. If Victoria is to host two finals on one day, the lowest-drawing final will be moved toDocklands Stadium, except in the event that Geelong is hosting a low-drawing opponent, the second final will be moved to Kardinia Park.
Once again I think you are wrong about Geelong. I think it was a one off Geelong getting a final on their true home ground because there were so many finals in Victoria that weekend and Geelong v Fremantle final was unlikely to get much above 30,000 crowd anyway. So was just rare circumstances where the league allowed something different to take place. Every other normal final Geelong play will be in Melbourne itself at Docklands or MCG depending.

So looks like regardless of just scraping into the 8, north again gets the free kick theyve been given all season by getting a final at etihad stadium, despite drawing either GWS or West Coast who finish higher than them
I can assure you in week one if GWS play North it will be in NSW, not here. The AFL work around contractual obligations or more inventive ways in last decade than what they could do over a decade ago. When it was just 5 or 6 finals in whole series was way harder to hand out home state finals to higher ranked teams. With 9 finals now much easier. The MCC just find other ways to get another big game at the G for next season if there is short fall for a season or two. Similarly the Etihad arrangement the AFL get around in inventive ways when they need to.
They were far more restricted by MCC back 15 to 20 years ago and these sense of entitlement to a club getting a home final is relative new concept and was never even a given back in 1980s and early 90s.
Now they do tend to have it part of system to allow high ranked team be rewarded with home state advantage in finals leading up to Grand Final. Been that way for a good decade now.

15-7 could give you minor premiers in 1997. One of the most even seasons. You can also say it for this season, except only for the top 7-8 teams.

Adelaide's 13th win for season in 1993 got them rewarded with double chance of making the grand final. Repeat. Two chances of making the grand final. That was weirdest even season I seen in all my time.
Nobody even gets two chances of making a grand final now. The top 4 get two chances of reaching preliminary final stage.

The only ones that care about whether there is finals in Melbourne are the suits at AFL house, you get all year to qualify for finals and where it lands it lands. Every bit as exciting no matter where they are played. Finals are only more exciting in Melbourne for Melbourne people.

Which is what the OP said before all the downtrodden interstate folks came swarming in to tell us stuff we already know.

The AFL's contract with the Melbourne Cricket Club requires that at least ten finals matches (excluding Grand Finals) are played at the MCG every five years. This means an average of two finals must be played at the venue per year, plus each Grand Final. This is not normally expected to be a problem, but in the event that the non-Victorian clubs dominate the competition, the AFL would be forced to schedule a non-Victorian team's home match at the MCG to reach this quota.

The 2005 negotiation simply requires 10 finals - excluding grand finals - over any 5 year period. We're sitting at 12 Melbourne finals in the last three years already, so this is not going to be an issue in 2016 or 2017

This contract was put together in 2005 after significant criticism of the previous contract from 1992, which required that at least one final be played at the MCG during every week of the finals. This meant that in the event that interstate clubs were to host both semi-finals or both preliminary finals (the preliminary final prior to 1994), one of these matches would be moved to the MCG to meet this quota; this happened in 1993 (Preliminary Final, Adelaide v Essendon), 1996 (First Semi-Final, West Coast v Essendon), 1999 (First Semi-Final, West Coast v Carlton), 2002 (Second Semi-Final, Adelaide v Melbourne) and 2004 (Second Preliminary Final, Brisbane v Geelong).

The previous contract was actually negotiated in 2002 and effective from 2003-2005, for the Northern stand rebuild, and mandated at least one preliminary final and one grand final, at an average of four finals a year at the MCG over three years.

Prior to this was the 1989 Agreement requiring at least one final a week at the MCG.

Finals in Victoria are usually played at the MCG, regardless of whether or not the home team normally plays its home games there. If Victoria is to host two finals on one day, the lowest-drawing final will be moved to Docklands Stadium, except in the event that Geelong is hosting a low-drawing opponent, the second final will be moved to Kardinia Park.

Geelong benefited from the fact that Victoria was scheduled to host no less than 4 finals on the same weekend, and given Etihad has a banking clause that replaces any lost finals with home and away season games, it became a simple matter to move the game to Kardinia Park. Such a scenario is unlikely to be repeated unless similar dominoes fall into place (ie. MCG full all three days of the weekend, and Geelong hosting an interstate side with a percieved lack of drawing power).

Not this season. I guarantee it, and no scenario allows for it in the next two seasons even if there are no home finals in Melbourne.

After our non-existent display tonight against the Eagles, could this signal the first time there hasn't been a single final in Melbourne in week one?

Swans and Crows look to be top two, and if we beat Collingwood next week, we should keep fourth, leaving GW Sydney and WCE as 5th and 6th.

Would be a flat start to the finals here in Melbourne if that's the case !
Time for a trade ban me thinks.

Love how half this thread is from non-Vics complaining about Victorians self of entitlement (or however they phrase it).

Only thing lacking is Vics actually doing that...

Pretty much confirms what I've been saying about the Vic v non-Vic 'problem' being more a matter of a chip on the shoulder of non-Vics than an actual problem.

Adelaide's 13th win for season in 1993 got them rewarded with double chance of making the grand final. Repeat. Two chances of making the grand final. That was weirdest even season I seen in all my time.
Nobody even gets two chances of making a grand final now. The top 4 get two chances of reaching preliminary final stage.

Didn't follow footy at that time. It was a n even season. But wasn't the double chance because of the old McIntyre finals system of top 6? The winner of the qualifying final and highest placed elimination final winner face each other in the Semi where you get a double chance (if you lose)

Remove this Banner Ad

Week one of the finals all out of Victoria ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back