List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

If that is correct , and i dont want to be shouted down by all and sundry , but what are the Bulldogs options then , can they for example offer him a much better contract deal and get him back to the Western Oval in the Red White and Blue
If they were gonna offer him a better deal they would have done it already

Honestly very stupid of the bulldogs and a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face situation.

17 is a good pick, is it his exact worth?? Probably not, is it an insulting offer?? No it isn’t.

Is 17 in a good draft better than nothing?? Of cause it is.

Why take nothing over a potentially good player??

All emotion, no brain really

If we don't get a deal done and he goes to the draft would we use pick 17 on him (assuming all the other clubs pass) or would we grab him with a later pick?

Weird ass trade season. Massive overs for Baker/Rioli, Massive unders for Houston. 17 for Smith seems comparatively fair IMO. Its unders for his 2021 form, and overs for his 2022+ form.

Honestly very stupid of the bulldogs and a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face situation.

17 is a good pick, is it his exact worth?? Probably not, is it an insulting offer?? No it isn’t.

Is 17 in a good draft better than nothing?? Of cause it is.

Why take nothing over a potentially good player??

All emotion, no brain really

I don't disagree with you.
But I will say that as a destination club which we have become, I do think we want to maintain a good image to prospective players thinking about requesting a trade here that we get the job done. Having a player we have chased have to enter the ND and risk ending up elsewhere isn't ideal. Obviously I'd rather we didn't but I would hope we would blink first before it come to sending Baz to the ND.

But I will say that as a destination club which we have become, I do think we want to maintain a good image to prospective players thinking about requesting a trade here that we get the job done. Having a player we have chased have to enter the ND and risk ending up elsewhere isn't ideal. Obviously I'd rather we didn't but I would hope we would blink first before it come to sending Baz to the ND.
I would hope the club and his manager would reassure Smith and explain the realities of the situation , he’s an adult he would understand sometimes you can’t control the situation

You saying you’d hope we blink first indicates that they also will/would blink… but you hope we blink first?

This is exactly the mindset Power wants other clubs to be in… if he convinces you that he won’t blink, then you will.

Power will blink 100%

Not a chance in the world he flushes #17 down the toilet and walks away with zero for Smith.

Mackie might “blink” and add some extra sauce on top of #17… but I see no way Power doesn’t make a trade.

It’s a game of chicken and there’s a few swervers getting around here now that the deadline is approaching.

This was always going down to the last moments.

They have it all to lose and need to swerve.

We can still get Smith after today if no trade is made.

DO NOT BLINK… Let them do the blinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we don't get a deal done and he goes to the draft would we use pick 17 on him (assuming all the other clubs pass) or would we grab him with a later pick?

Weird ass trade season. Massive overs for Baker/Rioli, Massive unders for Houston. 17 for Smith seems comparatively fair IMO. Its unders for his 2021 form, and overs for his 2022+ form.

We'd use pick 17

Using that pick on a youngster and saying we'd pick him up with a later pick would seem disrespectful to Smith and could also do away with the good will shown by other clubs who haven't selected him with the view the he's now fair game

Is Barrass to Hawks in danger of not happening? If so I can see the Hawks making a very, very late play for Bailey Smith

I would hope the club and his manager would reassure Smith and explain the realities of the situation , he’s an adult he would understand sometimes you can’t control the situation
I don't think any AFL player would like having to go to the ND and risk ending up elsewhere, that seems to be the reality of the situation. We have the capital to get him here and he knows that, just a matter of whether we are comfortable paying that price.

17 for Smith is unders
25 for Caleb Daniel is overs.

On the balance it's probably fair dealing for the Bathwaters

Is Barrass to Hawks in danger of not happening? If so I can see the Hawks making a very, very late play for Bailey Smith…

I've seen that thrown up as a potential option this afternoon before being shutdown by other Hawthorn fans who've suggested that the team has cooled on Smith and they're not looking to pursue him

You saying you’d hope we blink first indicates that they also will/would blink… but you hope we blink first?

This is exactly the mindset Power wants other clubs to be in… if he convinces you that he won’t blink, then you will.

Power will blink 100%

It's a matter of perhaps we should throw the bone like Port did with us last year for Mackie to save face on the Rata trade. Throw 75 at Power so at least he gets to say "Look I got more than 17"

I don't think any AFL player would like having to go to the ND and risk ending up elsewhere, that seems to be the reality of the situation. We have the capital to get him here and he knows that, just a matter of whether we are comfortable paying that price.
At the end of the day the club will do it best by Smith as we have a history of keeping our word and doing everything we can to get the player to the club

It’s really going to hurt the Dogs long term as every manager and player will have this in the back of their minds when dealing with them in the future.

“We never wanted him anyway”. Sure Jan.

Not exactly that - what I've read today is that Hawthorn were seriously into him but that interest started to cool around middle of the season, and that it's potentially related to off field issues

I honestly think Geelong is being a little tight about Smith.

Remember how much we demanded for Tim Kelly?

I think Geelong should throw in a future 2nd or 3rd. I think he is worth that.

Pick 20 or so by itself seems unders for a gun like Smith and is short changing the Dogs a bit I think.

Typical Mackie Behaviour. Wells would not have been this tight.
Kelly just finished top 5 in the brownlow in only his second afl season and was fully fit.

Bailey Smith today doesn't even remotely have the trade value that Kelly did then.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back