Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. I see Acres as playing inside rotating with Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, Cerra, Brayshaw, Conca

Put Aish on one wing, and Tucker on the other - with Shilly rotating through. Wilson i'd leave in defense where his long kicking out of defense can get the ball rolling.
Yep agree with this - Tucker and Aish on the wings. SHill if he gets himself fit can rotate through the wings swapping with of those two as needed.

travis Coyler will get games if every winger is injured

I have Coyler in the D Pearce basket - he'll get games, but if we're at the point of needing him - we may be better off taking the hit and playing a kid to develop the future

Looks like Colyer has put himself into Pole position for no. 1 spud of the year according to Freo posters. I’m not a fan at all but there have been much worse recruits than Trav Colyer who managed 10-11 games in his first year. I think from memory he recorded the fastest speed (for all AFL games) for all our players in one of his games. There were also a couple of pretty decent games of over 20 possessions earlier in the year. He also finished off the season with Peel reasonably well.

I’m willing to give him another chance but he will need to have a massive pre-season and show a bit more than he has. We have shown a willingness to cut players (and coaches) with 1-year remaining on their contracts.

Looks like Colyer has put himself into Pole position for no. 1 spud of the year according to Freo posters. I’m not a fan at all but there have been much worse recruits than Trav Colyer who managed 10-11 games in his first year. I think from memory he recorded the fastest speed (for all AFL games) for all our players in one of his games. There were also a couple of pretty decent games of over 20 possessions earlier in the year. He also finished off the season with Peel reasonably well.

I’m willing to give him another chance but he will need to have a massive pre-season and show a bit more than he has. We have shown a willingness to cut players (and coaches) with 1-year remaining on their contracts.
He is at exactly the right club, at exactly the right time to have a crack at a best 22 spot. We lost run, and that is a big part of his game. I still have an open mind about him as a role player while the team transitions, and I hope Longmuir has given him some hope that he will be considered.

He is at exactly the right club, at exactly the right time to have a crack at a best 22 spot. We lost run, and that is a big part of his game. I still have an open mind about him as a role player while the team transitions, and I hope Longmuir has given him some hope that he will be considered.
Hopefully JLo will play him outside and build his confidence, he’s a confidence player and Ross seemed to completely flatten him. He has skills and will be very useful with his speed if his head’s right IMO!

Hopefully JLo will play him outside and build his confidence, he’s a confidence player and Ross seemed to completely flatten him. He has skills and will be very useful with his speed if his head’s right IMO!
I would love to think this is spot on but, I think he is, unfortunately, the same player with us as he was with the Bombers. Quick in the legs but pretty slow in the mind regarding footy. The combination of his footskills and his decision making mean he's always going to be pushing shit uphill, regardless of the coach.

I'd love to be wrong, as he would instantly fill a big gap we have covering the wings at Optus.

I would love to think this is spot on but, I think he is, unfortunately, the same player with us as he was with the Bombers. Quick in the legs but pretty slow in the mind regarding footy. The combination of his footskills and his decision making mean he's always going to be pushing shit uphill, regardless of the coach.

I'd love to be wrong, as he would instantly fill a big gap we have covering the wings at Optus.
So your not buying the Ross Lyon is the source of all evil mantra? Interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing with Colyer is for a player built close to the ground he fumbles sooo much & could possibly be part of his indecisive decision making, he just puts himself under too much pressure.

Not sure the relevance of Ross in this? My point was that even Clarkson couldn't solve Travis' deficiencies, so I'm definitely not expecting JLo to start performing miracles.
There is no relevance, which is my point (I am agreeing with you). The post you were replying to was having a little dig. Colyer was a fringe player at Essendon and is the same for us. He may improve or decline, but the realistic expectation is that he is what he has already shown. Maybe a shift in position and focus can have a positive impact for him. He certainly seems dedicated.

It would more be from the view how our club stuffed up his development and not because he is playing well for you
Pretty sure that most posters think you did stuff up his development, and that includes Saints fans. I mean, you played him in the ruck.... You played him on the wing, in the guts, as a forward. Each having different strength and fitness requirements as well as mindsets, and he was still in the process of trying to establish himself as best 22. And he has only just cracked 24. It really looks like a mish-mash in terms of developing him, and would think he would be looking forward to some consistency.

Last edited:
There is no relevance, which is my point (I am agreeing with you). The post you were replying to was having a little dig. Colyer was a fringe player at Essendon and is the same for us. He may improve or decline, but the realistic expectation is that he is what he has already shown. Maybe a shift in position and focus can have a positive impact for him. He certainly seems dedicated.
Duh...I understand where you're coming from now!
I actually like the guy but anyone thinking Longmuir can come into the club, as a rookie coach, and turn the career around of a player like him, is bound to end up disappointed.
At his age and with his level of ability he should be seen more as depth and a solid role model for younger players than someone who will materially lift our on-field performances.

Pretty sure that most posters think you did stuff up his development, and that includes Saints fans. I mean, you played him in the ruck.... You played him on the wing, in the guts, as a forward. Each having different strength and fitness requirements as well as mindsets, and he was still in the process of trying to establish himself as best 22. And he has only just cracked 24. It really looks like a mish-mash in terms of developing him, and would think he would be looking forward to some consistency.
Some of the saint posters are saying he was played out of position and wasn’t given enough time in one role to develop.

Definitely played out position. If he was settled in one position maybe that would of helped. Or maybe they just didn't think he was good enough to play midfield all game because it wasnt our midfield was full with talent. We will soon find out.

Definitely played out position. If he was settled in one position maybe that would of helped. Or maybe they just didn't think he was good enough to play midfield all game because it wasnt our midfield was full with talent. We will soon find out.
If he comes good, its a reflection on your old coach.

If Bennell comes good, it's a massive reflection on our conditioning team.

The thing with Colyer is for a player built close to the ground he fumbles sooo much & could possibly be part of his indecisive decision making, he just puts himself under too much pressure.
What’s funny is he tries so hard to deliver the skills.. whereas if he does Langdon, where he just run and carry the footy and just punt it long, no one would be none the wiser. Colyer tries so hard to look for the cute passes and keep the footy going. I don’t know.. if he gets license to play like Langdon and just roam the ground, he’d be okay IMO. Ed was just as bad fumbling the ball and has suspect kicking.. just got a lot of it

Watched a fair bit of Blake on StatsPro in recent days and feeling a lot more confident he could end up a steal for us - thinking he'll be fine on a wing and rotating into the middle at times. I have no idea why St Kilda used him the way they did? Seems clear his main weakness is just consistency - get that right and he could be a gun. It really surprised me how he stepped up and almost won the game for Saints a couple of times this year. His game against the Hawks in Rd 4 was excellent - worth checking out his extended involvements on StatsPro if you have access and spare few minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back