List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams are not going to start tagging Harley just yet.

Many teams have left Harley untagged and have done just fine. Collingwood and Essendon both did not tag Harley and left their mids to handle it to get great success.

At the present time it's a waste of a tagger. Teams will tag Harley when he runs riot and that is not necessarily consistent enough to justify a tag. Maybe in his second year he will get a tag week in and week out. But he does need to be trained and learn to deal.

Teams are not going to start tagging Harley just yet.

Many teams have left Harley untagged and have done just fine. Collingwood and Essendon both did not tag Harley and left their mids to handle it to get great success.

At the present time it's a waste of a tagger. Teams will tag Harley when he runs riot and that is not necessarily consistent enough to justify a tag. Maybe in his second year he will get a tag week in and week out. But he does need to be trained and learn to deal.
The top sides won't bother tagging him but all of the other ones will.

They'd be mad not to.

The tweet says they're arguing for medium.

I would argue for low.
Agree they should argue for low but the note at the bottom of the assessment table is the kicker- may be upgraded for potential to cause injury.
I cant see how you can possibly bump the contact up 2 categories based on this but, Michael Christiansen does this shit every time a WC player is being assessed. Argue for the Low and probably get the Medium.
It wouldn't surprise me if this was done deliberately by the AFL just to add to the Harley circus, knowing we would appeal and get more eyeballs on the tribunal fiasco.

Doubt it gets down to low (didn't Wilson do a HIA?) but as long as he plays next week by their own definition it can't be high
I was at the game so not sure if HIA was done but he seemed to be ok. I don’t read media about the incident, nothing objective about it, just people serving their own agenda who have a platform to do so.

I just hope this galvanises Harley and the club medium term and that we workshop ways to (fairly) brutalise the inevitable taggers that come his way in the future. Culley is one who has a lot of campaigner in him and if he can keep his spot on form I’d love to see him go to work playing on the absolute edge.

I'm not sure we're going in arguing for medium impact. If you're going to argue, you argue for as much as possible (eg low), so that you've got more chance of them saying medium even if they don't agree with it being low. Argue for medium and if they don't fully agree, then they go back to the original 2 weeks.

View attachment 2009346
If the above is correct, I hope we’re arguing the impact was low. I haven’t seen a reply of the game but I believe Darcy got up, took the kick and played on?

If those are the official guidelines then it's pretty clear cut that it's not high impact

View attachment 2009346
If the above is correct, I hope we’re arguing the impact was low. I haven’t seen a reply of the game but I believe Darcy got up, took the kick and played on?
If those are the AFLs actual definitions, what a cluster **** of a competition this has become. When the definition doesn’t give them what they want, they always have something like ‘has the potential’ so they can do whatever the **** they like.

The tackle was vigorous and dump him but was not a sling tackle as it was all one motion. The player plays on, but the AFL reaction …

Party Celebration GIF by Alanna Flowers

The Cripps one was an incredible farce. When you refuse to suspend players like Cripps and Maynard for that I don’t think anybody could argue with a straight face that the AFL takes player safety seriously. There’s always an asterisk when it comes to certain players and situations.
Barry Hall? Quite prepared to be corrected but didn’t he avoid suspension just before the 2005 GF where he kicked 1.3 in a side that won by four points?

The top sides won't bother tagging him but all of the other ones will.

They'd be mad not to.

Lyon only tags as he's more focused on the opposition not scoring than kicking goals himself.

Don’t recall the ‘incidental contacts’. What he touched the ump (x2) or ???

I only remember the one where he tripped over an umpire's foot - was on the HFF in open ground and no one else was around - was pretty clumsy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For head high contact the grade gets bumped up based on potential to cause injury.

So what is considered low impact gets bumped to medium.
Very well aware of this and the footnote, but we argue it all the same:

Wilson plays on
One motion
Back hits the ground first
Both arms free
Wilson makes no attempt to break his own fall

St Kilda medical report and evidence from Wilson will be crucial .

Cuzzy needs to come into this. Explain to Harley how he, as an up and coming youngster, managed the on field attention and umpiring challenges. Provide some guidance in this space.

As an aside, and for the ‘watchers’ what was Harley like on field as a junior? There seems to have been a gradual uptick in his frustrations in recent weeks.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s possible HR9 has been so far above his competitors up to this point that he’s pretty much played the game on his terms. Maybe the big jump up to AFL will take some getting used to. Being a top AFL player takes more than just exceptional talent (e.g. temperament, tank, handling media attention and taggers). This is all part of his education.

Very well aware of this and the footnote, but we argue it all the same:

Wilson plays on
One motion
Back hits the ground first
Both arms free
Wilson makes no attempt to break his own fall

St Kilda medical report and evidence from Wilson will be crucial .

Yes, so the AFL is saying the starting point is medium which is increased to high based on potential to cause injury.

The club is arguing that the starting point is low impact, with the potential to cause injury tax it’s upgraded to medium- which is the correct grading in my opinion.

What Harley needs is help from teammates for him to break the tag.
Judd had Jones, so Harley needs someone to help and is prepared to sacrifice their own game for the team.
Unfortunately besides Yeo others are worried about themselves.

Thats the problem though - who have we got who can help break the tag without gimping the midfield?

• If Harley is tagged then Yeo should be getting off the chain. Didnt happen on the weekend. Quietly I suspect he's still being niggled with that groin injury.
  • Ginbey I would argue is probably too inexperienced (and probably want him focusing on developing his own game)
  • Kelly - most likely candidate, as he tends to fade in and out of games.
  • Gaff/ Sheed - puke

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back