List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Uh unless I'm missing something the highlights showed a kid winning lots of contested ball, broke a couple of tackles, had good game sense and positioning, never brought to ground by another player, and kicked four goals from midfield.
And was never seen at east perth again

I don't know if this has been put up before; I haven't seen it. I just found it on YouTube. It was recorded before the draft, but it is a great insight into how he prepared himself for the AFL.
Here is the link:

That little snippet could well be a glimpse of the future where we define our new game style. Bigger mids who can take on tackles and still feed off for 2nd and 3rd phase plays. A lot more chaos and running of the ball. Then precise kicks to forwards.

Great time to be following the club as we just dont know whats going to develop and who the next star will be.

Last edited:

West Coast teenage sensation Harley Reid says he is using high expectations to motivate him to star for Eagles​

Harley Reid has been dubbed the next “Prince of Perth” by his co-captain, is being stopped in the streets and carries the weight of expectation to take the Eagles into the future.
But the hype does not bother the No.1 draftee and the teenage sensation has even told 7NEWS he is using it all as motivation to become the best player he can be.
Reid has been the talk of the town since his name was called out first in last year’s draft and he was handed the club’s famous No.9 guernsey by Nic Naitanui.

The 18-year-old from country Victoria isn’t letting the expectation or extra attention overwhelm him and is instead making it fuel to fire him as he eyes a round one debut.
“It gives me motivation, motivation to just go harder and hit harder,” Reid said.
“It gives me motivation, motivation to just go harder and hit harder.”

“That’s something I’ve loved in my game is that physicality about it and I love the old school footy.
“It’s so surreal, like to this day, I’m an AFL player now and doesn’t really feel real. I’m just so happy and privileged to have the opportunity I have and be in the position I’m in at such a great club with such a great history.
“Hopefully I can set foot on the field round one.

“I remember I was with Oscar Allen when I first headed across here and we were getting a coffee in the morning and we will look at the paper and ‘bang’ there I am.”

0117d35540f844150465d2f17d0bd441c2c5c26a.jpg

Reid will begin his career swapping between half-back and midfield with co-captain Liam Duggan.
“It’s pretty surreal, it’s pretty cool changing with him and he’s so supportive of me too,” Reid said.
“He knows what I can do, and he backs me to play to my strengths and I know he’ll always be in my back ear telling me to keep working, to keep going hard.”

Co-captain Oscar Allen even declared Reid the new “Prince of Perth”, a mantle he has adopted from former skipper and Eagles megastar Ben Cousins.
Allen said the teenager could back the hype on the field and praised his versatility at such a young age.

f28f98585ec2c37c6996af34f04c5d669f7980fe.jpg

“He’s probably overtaken Ben Cousins now as the Prince of Perth, but he’s handled it well. He’s pretty pragmatic about how he goes about everything,” Allen said in Melbourne on Monday.
“His versatility is something that draftees of the last couple of years have brought. It has been exceptional so his ability to play in the midfield, up forward and down back is one of his strengths.

“He’s still an 18-year-old man, he’s got a lot of development in his game and his body as well.
“How (Nick) Daicos and (Harry) Sheezel and a couple of these guys have entered their first years has been outstanding … I think Harley can make his impact on the game as well in his own way.”

58ae17744abb23c68d933bf3c7422022b914df1e.jpg

Brownlow medallist and former Collingwood captain Nathan Buckley defender Reid’s first outing, saying we can’t judge the teenager on an early outing.

“We’ll find out in another 30 headlines and about three years how he’s going to be and then he’ll have to prove it and reinvent himself and go again and again and again over 10 or 15 years if he’s going to be anything close to what he’s built up to be,” Buckley told SEN.

What were we offered for pick 1 again??

I kid, he'll be a star. I'm almost glad he had a quiet one, maybe a few journalists will recognise now he's an 18 year old with zero AFL games

Hawthorn offered pick 4 as it was plus their F1 plus Brockman or another later pick from memory

The best offer from North in the media was pick 2 and one of their late R1 picks

A couple of posters here said a deal for pick 6,11,15,17 involving North and Melbourne was almost agreed to

Still think we’ll be happy we took Harley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just quietly the kids alright for a fat boy eh Suma?

Clubs are going to rough him up just because of the hype surrounding him but i loved, LOVED that when Laird gave it to him he kept wrestling with him until he got his own back.

Good on ya Harley, don't take their shit kid.

Last edited:
Clubs are going to rough him up just because of the hype surrounding him but i loved, LOVED that when Laird gave it to him he kept wrestling with him until he got his own back.

Good on ya Harley, don't take their s**t kid.

It's also incumbent on his teammates to have his back as well...within reason of course, I don't need Yeo getting weeks for knocking a blokes block off in a skirmish.

I'm gonna be so pissed if I ever see footage of the kid having to fight guys off on his own.

I honestly don't know how to word this in a way that doesn't seem like I'm trolling so I can only preface it with the fact that I'm not and hope people can believe that (yes I can see how this looks even more suspicious).

Anyway, to be clear I'm not saying Reid played a soft game because he didnt. He got stuck in, he gave as good as he got etc.

However, there were a few moments particularly with footy in the air where it was his turn to go and he maybe didn't? Didn't drop into the hole or whatever.

Anyway my question is - is it conceivable that this is a coaching directive to him not to do this so as to avoid a bad injury or concussion like given his importance? Maybe I missed some instances where he did do this but I just noticed a couple the other way. Anyway I love the lad and hope he is a success (and doesn't return to Victoria).

I honestly don't know how to word this in a way that doesn't seem like I'm trolling so I can only preface it with the fact that I'm not and hope people can believe that (yes I can see how this looks even more suspicious).

Anyway, to be clear I'm not saying Reid played a soft game because he didnt. He got stuck in, he gave as good as he got etc.

However, there were a few moments particularly with footy in the air where it was his turn to go and he maybe didn't? Didn't drop into the hole or whatever.

Anyway my question is - is it conceivable that this is a coaching directive to him not to do this so as to avoid a bad injury or concussion like given his importance? Maybe I missed some instances where he did do this but I just noticed a couple the other way. Anyway I love the lad and hope he is a success (and doesn't return to Victoria).

Delist? :think:

"I'm not trolling but the one shining light you're finding in the 60+ point loss my team just inflicted on you is not actually that bright lmao"

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back