List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

No, just asking if it was a coaching directive.
Harley reid was an elite intercept mark at junior level. This is the single biggest thing I'm looking for to translate to AFL.

I have always wonder if it would translate. Because if it did that would make an elite HBF like top 2.

The mindset right now for Harley would be there is a ruckman and a fully built Yeo. Let them fly for it.

The coaches need to tell Harley to fly at it similar to how he flew for it at junior footy.

So it's mindset with a mixture of coaching directives. Like how coaches tell Liam Ryan or Willie to stay on the ground crumbing and let Josh Kennedy fly.

When Harley Reid starts intercept marking it will be truely a sight to behold

What i don't want, is for Harley to be another Andrew McGrath.

Average pick 1 wasted on the HBF. He's an above average player i guess, but certainly no superstar which is what you're expecting with a pick 1 marquee player.

Polled 9 Brownlow votes in his entire 135 game career. Never averaged more than 94.9 ranking points in a season.

Average pick 1 wasted on the HBF. He's an above average player i guess, but certainly no superstar which is what you're expecting with a pick 1 marquee player.

Polled 9 Brownlow votes in his entire 135 game career. Never averaged more than 94.9 ranking points in a season.
Yeah, McGrath was a number one pick, but that's not saying much. I mean, can you really look at this first round and confidently call it star-studded?
1709467094912.png
The best player I can see here is Tim English, and even then he was 19 with an extra year of experience by the time he was drafted.

Oh course. I'm just making the point

I'd like Harley reid to have accoldates of
Top 5 midfield in AFL
Top 2 HBF
Top 5 forward pocket (although less likely)

Although these last two games showed he's more of natural midfield then any other position.

Last edited:
Oh course. I'm just making the point

I'd like Harley reid to have accoldates of
Top 5 midfield in AFL
Top 2 HBF
Top 5 forward pocket (although less likely)

Although these last two games showed he's more of natural midfield then any other position.

He had a split of 80 percent mid and 20 percent HBF crows game. So having in one role seems easier for him to manage at the present time.
Would love that mid/hbf split to be with Ginbeast, maybe weighted alittle

Yeah, McGrath was a number one pick, but that's not saying much. I mean, can you really look at this first round and confidently call it star-studded?
View attachment 1918925
The best player I can see here is Tim English, and even then he was 19 with an extra year of experience by the time he was drafted.
Harsh on Taranto and McCluggage

Swap McCluggage for McGrath and that top 3 would be spot on.

McLuggage was rated number 1 for pretty much the whole season. Taranto was a late bolter and who WCE wanted to draft. When that option went off the table was when Venables became the preference as though he was coming off of a major injury history throughout his last 2 junior years was seen as the next best player of that type.

Really liked his second outing. Rapidly becoming a believer.

The thing which sticks out for me is he refuses to settle for nothing touches. He completely lacks the dear in headlights, slam it on the boot mentality most kids start with, you can see that every time he gets it he's thinking 'how do I turn this into a high impact possession?'

He gives no ****s at all about getting pinged, he's going to hang onto the ball and take people on until a good option presents.

The thing which sticks out for me is he refuses to settle for nothing touches. He completely lacks the dear in headlights, slam it on the boot mentality most kids start with, you can see that every time he gets it he's thinking 'how do I turn this into a high impact possession?'

He gives no *s at all about getting pinged, he's going to hang onto the ball and take people on until a good option presents.
He aslo knows that if a tackler comes at him he can rag doll the utter sh$t out of them. Just look them in the eye and think.... Come on i dare ya. Thats why he runs around with a smile on his face.

He gives no *s at all about getting pinged, he's going to hang onto the ball and take people on until a good option presents.

100% Harley runs at his opponent daring them to tackle. If they are corralling and stepping back he just runs at them as they are off balance with the dont argue and then hands off.

It will take time for our midfield to adjust to all these bigger mids. We are used to seeing Gaff and others getting rag dolled and pinged.

Now our outside mids need to learn to time their runs to get the handball to keep the ball moving forward.

Last edited:
100% Harley runs at his opponent daring them to tackle. If they are corralling and stepping back he just runs at them as they are off balance with the dont argue and then hands off.

It will take time for our midfield to adjust to all these bigger mids. We are used to seeing Gaff and others getting rag dolled and pinged.

Now our outside mids need to learn to time their runs to get the handball to keep the ball moving forward.
It's interesting- watching the way he's gone about it this preseason the comparison that occurred to me was Shuey as a 20 yo in his first final in 2011 when he repeatedly got caught holding the ball against the pies.

At the time everyone was talking about Shuey getting found out by the pace of finals football, but it was more about him not being willing to settle for dump kicks or selling teammates into trouble, and having the mentality which said, 'I don't care if it risks me getting caught, I'm going to take it upon myself to try to impact the game' You look at prime Shuey and how much impact he'd have on games because of how damaging his touches were, and it starts with that mindset which got him wrecked in that first final.

Pre-draft I wondered if however sexy all the fend offs from reid looked on highlight tapes, they were really just a sign that he didn't have the athleticism or ball sense to get into space, but you watch him against AFL listed guys and he has absolutely got the wheels to get it and move the ball on, but he's not interested in settling for nothing touches, if there isn't a good option he hangs onto the ball and effectively dares the opposition to come after him until his teammates present.

That is a great attribute for any player and a pretty astonishing one to see in a guy who hasnt played a senior game yet. And I don't care if he get mowed down a dozen times every week if it trains his teammates to start running aggressively as soon as he goes near it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having watched his highlights vs Adelaide, Harley’s game was a lot better than I realised watching live.

If the other players demonstrated a fraction of his poise, we’d be playing with visible system and not looking like a group of 22 players that have never met before.

Hopefully, the other players see that it is possible and learn from him.

Another couple of ball users like him and we will move up the ladder very quickly.

Having watched his highlights vs Adelaide, Harley’s game was a lot better than I realised watching live.

If the other players demonstrated a fraction of his poise, we’d be playing with visible system and not looking like a group of 22 players that have never met before.

Hopefully, the other players see that it is possible and learn from him.

Another couple of ball users like him and we will move up the ladder very quickly.
I do worry about him being Simmo’d though. Remember how good Duggan looked after his first few games. Shuey calling him a ‘special player’ etc. I can actually see guys like Long getting worse over the year as his natural game gets roboted out of him.

I do worry about him being Simmo’d though. Remember how good Duggan looked after his first few games. Shuey calling him a ‘special player’ etc. I can actually see guys like Long getting worse over the year as his natural game gets roboted out of him.
Simmo won't be coach past this year though

Simmo won't be coach past this year though
Pray I Hope GIF

As they say, he's readymade and it showed in the Crows game. He stood up to the heat from Crows, didn't back down.
Should be even more improved after a handful of regular games, no doubt will have a target on his back all season.
Not sure how long the fend off will last, be funny to see him against Dusty - fending and counter fending, a fend off fest?
He must be a big influence on the other players, to lift their game.
Just need Ginbey to lower his eyes, hit up players and bomb less.
Add Hewett to the mix, he's similar in some ways to Harley, burst speed and bust packs, loves a goal, just needs a run of games without injury.
There should be some joy there with those 3 amigos!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back