List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's had a great first year, playing a position he shouldn't be and is tired. He's well and truly worth the pick paid and will get stronger, fitter and become the midfield leader over a few preseasons.
Gee, you've come around since pre-draft. Good to see.

Gee, you've come around since pre-draft. Good to see.

He's well and truly outperformed my expectations not only in his tank but also in his strength against men. He's playing an incredibly hard role in a shit side that gets dominated in the middle against hardened men. I knew he was strong, he showed that but he genuinely has thrown and pushed some really strong players away, to the ground or away in tackles.

his kicking has been both better and worse than I thought. He has more depth than I thought but his accuracy on some of those longer kicks has been well down on what I saw him do as a junior. Probably because he's exhausted all the time.

McKercher has justified my rating of him and I think he would go number 1 in this years draft. It's just Harley being significantly better than expected in his first year, particularly in the middle. He's faded a bit but that hasn't bothered me at all. He's exhausted after a long year. How he presents to preseason and the preseason he's able to have will show a lot.

It does look like based upon his first year the club like 2001 and 2008 has hit the bottom end of the ladder and picked up a Marquee player. There's a really good show of picking up one next year as I rate the top 2-3 higher than any of the kids this year.

I actually reckon Schofield was talking about Harley with his "didn't follow instructions" clip.

Reid probably spent the most time on Cripps out of anyone, and obviously didn't do enough defensively IMO.

I'm sure a lot of it wasn't Harleys fault either. Only so much you can do as a mid who hasn't completed 1 actual AFL season, let alone pre season and you're matched up with a Brownlow medalist, AA and AFL veteran.

Still baffled Yeo wasn't told to run with Cripps all game, regardless of whether he rested forward or not.
Massive negative on schofields coaching if he was trying to get Reid to tag cripps. Why on earth would you even persue that.

I reckon he was talking about Trew who tried to go with him later in the game.

No. Think it was likely Yeo that J Schofield was referencing.
Harley started on Cripps at CBD, potentially to expose him with burst, then Yeo to cover around ground.
That didn't work, so Trew got the job 2nd half.
Tbf to any player, Cripps was in complete beast mode carrying his side on his back.
Doubt many could've stopped it, but Yeo was the best choice.

He's well and truly outperformed my expectations not only in his tank but also in his strength against men. He's playing an incredibly hard role in a shit side that gets dominated in the middle against hardened men. I knew he was strong, he showed that but he genuinely has thrown and pushed some really strong players away, to the ground or away in tackles.

his kicking has been both better and worse than I thought. He has more depth than I thought but his accuracy on some of those longer kicks has been well down on what I saw him do as a junior. Probably because he's exhausted all the time.

McKercher has justified my rating of him and I think he would go number 1 in this years draft. It's just Harley being significantly better than expected in his first year, particularly in the middle. He's faded a bit but that hasn't bothered me at all. He's exhausted after a long year. How he presents to preseason and the preseason he's able to have will show a lot.

It does look like based upon his first year the club like 2001 and 2008 has hit the bottom end of the ladder and picked up a Marquee player. There's a really good show of picking up one next year as I rate the top 2-3 higher than any of the kids this year.
I agree. 2nd pre-season will be critical for Harley.
Need to get Tobie over here just so he can keep Harley running all off-season/pre-season.
Also, yes, McKercher would be the no. 1 pick this year as he has an edge over the list of midfield options available.

That footage of Cripps breaking away from Harley and getting a long kick I50 for a goal was a bit unfortunate... Harley was trying to pop his finger back in from the preceeding contest... I suspect Harls will be in for finger surgery in the post season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on him but fan voted awards are a but of a farce. How Hough didn’t make that is an absolute joke.

Most fans would have no idea who Hough is.

The industry awards are basically high school popularity contests. What chance does a "fan vote" really have? I suspect the process is more about data mining to work out where they have the strongest engagement and the best chance of eking out some more cashola from a fanbase.

Not to be that guy, but seeing Maynard get involved in another tussle tonight, albeit in defence of his captain, and in this instance probably warranted. It triggered me into checking the stats for fines handed out this year as I imagine the sentiment towards Maynard and Harley's physical play on field would probably be similar for fans from other clubs.

Maynard has only been fined once for striking in round 19 and not once for "wrestling" this year. I feel like that's something he does every game, no?

Harley has been done 5 times. 3xwrestling, 1xstriking and 1xrough conduct + 3 times for careless contact to umpires.

On a funny side note three other players have been charged for striking/rough conduct on Maynard.

Also also, there has been 49 total charges for 'careless contact with umpires'. I thought we relaxed this rule? What constitutes careless contact these days as this seems like a lot.

Not to be that guy, but seeing Maynard get involved in another tussle tonight, albeit in defence of his captain, and in this instance probably warranted. It triggered me into checking the stats for fines handed out this year as I imagine the sentiment towards Maynard and Harley's physical play on field would probably be similar for fans from other clubs.

Maynard has only been fined once for striking in round 19 and not once for "wrestling" this year. I feel like that's something he does every game, no?

Harley has been done 5 times. 3xwrestling, 1xstriking and 1xrough conduct + 3 times for careless contact to umpires.

On a funny side note three other players have been charged for striking/rough conduct on Maynard.

Also also, there has been 49 total charges for 'careless contact with umpires'. I thought we relaxed this rule? What constitutes careless contact these days as this seems like a lot.
My tinfoil hat says the AFL is intentionally trying to make his life as miserable as possible over here so he wants to return to Vic and play for a BigVic club.

Except it will have the opposite effect though and it will galvanize him to have that us against them mentality.

My tinfoil hat says the AFL is intentionally trying to make his life as miserable as possible over here so he wants to return to Vic and play for a BigVic club.

Except it will have the opposite effect though and it will galvanize him to have that us against them mentality.
It all seems very tin foil, but then they charge Harley with engaging in a melee while no opponent gets fined.

So you check the AFL Tribunal Guideline 2024, and see the definition of a melee/wrestle as “players who are grappling or otherwise struggling with one another in a way that is likely to bring the game into disrepute”.

No player and/or players, and an explicit mention of “with one another”. So multiple players then. But only Harley was involved… And then you start to think ok, maybe they are trying to prove a point. Then you look at the level of protection (read: none) he’s given when three or four oppo bury him repeatedly in the turf, or take off his head.

And then you start looking for discounted tin foil, because we’re going to need a shitload evidently. It’s ****ed what they’re doing to this kid.

It all seems very tin foil, but then they charge Harley with engaging in a melee while no opponent gets fined.

So you check the AFL Tribunal Guideline 2024, and see the definition of a melee/wrestle as “players who are grappling or otherwise struggling with one another in a way that is likely to bring the game into disrepute”.

No player and/or players, and an explicit mention of “with one another”. So multiple players then. But only Harley was involved… And then you start to think ok, maybe they are trying to prove a point. Then you look at the level of protection (read: none) he’s given when three or four oppo bury him repeatedly in the turf, or take off his head.

And then you start looking for discounted tin foil, because we’re going to need a shitload evidently. It’s ****ed what they’re doing to this kid.

Type of thing that for better or worse, and I don’t like it, the coach needs to call out publicly in a presser. Scott and Lyon types do this all the time and suddenly things seem to magically change in the weeks prior.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back