List Mgmt. Welcome Ryan Maric (Pick 1, 2023 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wanted him to make it as a forward... but I have to concede, with our current forward options and (lack of) back options, he'd be a good choice to go to the backline and play 3rd-tall.

What is he, 195 or 196cm…

It is such a benefit to have a guy of that height with excellent foot skills.

I would love to see him train and play as a back while Gov is still going. Has a lot of similar traits (and in some ways a not dissimilar backstory).

I thought his 2nd half v the cats when he played mostly back was very decent. Thwarted Cameron a couple of times (and he had 7 to half time…). I know the whole team improved but there were glimpses.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reports were he was now the same height as Oscar Allen but I think he might be slightly shorter, only just though.

Yep would love to have him as a distributor off half back with those elite foot skills.

Mind you, if you could put him up on the wing he’d have more chances to hit worm burners like the one he laced Snake on the lead with this year. That kick was magnificent; a full forward’s dream.

Yep would love to have him as a distributor off half back with those elite foot skills.

Mind you, if you could put him up on the wing he’d have more chances to hit worm burners like the one he laced Snake on the lead with this year. That kick was magnificent; a full forward’s dream.
More opportunities to get it into his hands if he’s kicking out of defence than kicking inside 50.

Feels like kicks to leading forwards are rarer and rarer forms of scoring avenues these days

I'm generally against stat padding but getting the ball into Marics hands 30 times a game would be a weapon. Maric playing a loose in defence and taking the kick outs should be his position next year imo

He's 193cm in socks, 195 in boots. Has a good reach for his height though. Have thought he should be a third defensive tall all year. With a couple more preseasons and training with the backs I feel like his timing and vision will improve to the point that it matches his footskills and he will be if not an elite user from defence very close to it. The next generation already has Hough who will be one of if not the best small/mid sized lock down defenders.

Maric is the third tall.

I think Chesser and Ginbey will end up down there but both have limitations.

We just need some 2 players with elite speed, run, carry and kicking and i'd be looking at only playing 1 genuine key tall 198-200cm down there in the long term.

A primary or secondary ruckman who can go back I think may be better moving forward with the direction of the game than rucks who go forward.

He's 193cm in socks, 195 in boots. Has a good reach for his height though. Have thought he should be a third defensive tall all year. With a couple more preseasons and training with the backs I feel like his timing and vision will improve to the point that it matches his footskills and he will be if not an elite user from defence very close to it. The next generation already has Hough who will be one of if not the best small/mid sized lock down defenders.

Maric is the third tall.

I think Chesser and Ginbey will end up down there but both have limitations.

We just need some 2 players with elite speed, run, carry and kicking and i'd be looking at only playing 1 genuine key tall 198-200cm down there in the long term.

A primary or secondary ruckman who can go back I think may be better moving forward with the direction of the game than rucks who go forward.
Stop doing trade stuff and put your hand up for the coaching role.
Instead of twitch plays Pokemon it's bigfooty coaches and AFL team. Praise helix.
All the punters playing football manager on the consoles can live it out in real life.
With such legendary moves as Darling to the midfield and dropping every senior player to the WAFL where can we go wrong!

Stop doing trade stuff and put your hand up for the coaching role.
Instead of twitch plays Pokemon it's bigfooty coaches and AFL team. Praise helix.
All the punters playing football manager on the consoles can live it out in real life.
With such legendary moves as Darling to the midfield and dropping every senior player to the WAFL where can we go wrong!

I have coached, mentored, trained and led young men. My style no longer suits the younger generation. I am too harsh, too quick to anger and I never played at the top level. Most would also suggest I am too old even for a senior football department role let alone coach.

When I work in business and finance I work with men, not boys. Power, results and money talk, not bullshit and mollycoddling. Real time data and strategic analysis, listening more than speaking and reading people and their plays before or as they make them are my skills.

Clubs have a real issue and so does player development all the way from junior levels up. The AFL keeps changing the rules that what suits now or even in 3-4 years time may no longer be valid in the amount of time it takes to try and build a contending list. The WCE of 2018 are the only premiership team to really build a list without extensive help and it is getting harder and harder to do. On top of this the players have more and more control and the clubs less and less.

The club won a spoon and got pick 4 and 29. 26 was a supposed priority pick yet basically every club had either taken Darling off their boards or had overlooked him already and if it wasn't a compromised draft the club would have had pick 1 and 18 anyway.

It cost the club falling to pieces and 2 brownlow medallists still in their prime leaving to land key top tier talent in Kennedy and Nicnat. Shuey was a priority pick but without priority picks that still would have landed the club Shuey.

Yeo when coming home wanted to go to Freo yet they weren't interested.

McGovern got to the club with an incredibly late pick despite freo being repeatedly badgered by scouts and his father to look at him seriously.

The club found a player that became elite at his role in Jetta in a trade that cost Callum Sinclair whom we rookied and had 1 pretty decent year.

It was almost a miracle in securing Redden who happened to go from average inside mid to elite finals player and from memory at the time was only the second non West Aussie that the eagles secured via trade in their prime.

The 2018 team stands as the only non Victorian team to beat an MCG tenant in the grand final without COLA this century. Even in doing so Collingwood held all the cards and whilst a win was secured I'm still of the belief that Buckley's half time changes and the decision to tag Yeo in the first half instead of Shuey was the decisive factor. It was so close that a boot stud back heel goal from Rioli or a 1 in 100 kick from Sheed after a 1 in 100 play secured the premiership depending on how you look at it. We had 3 key injuries yet at least 2 of their replacements played career best games and it's debatable on the third.

The above is to point out that the club can literally do everything better than the rest of the league for 5 years drafting, trading and developing yet in how compromised a position we sit, may still not be able to even challenge for a premiership with this list build.

These are harsh realities and both Pyke and Bell know it. The club will have secured it's next coach by the end of tomorrow yet unless they are ridiculously good and outperform any reasonable expectation they are likely just a placeholder. Let us just hope the decision hasn't been made on the basis that they aren't just the person who could best sugar coat shit.

I love the club, am very close to some of the players and management yet the game today and dealing with it's bullshit is becoming too much. Call me a cynic but unless serious changes in regards to fairness, equalisation and assistance come into place I'm not certain a WA side can win the premiership with all the hurdles in the way, particularly from how low a point the club is at now.

Literally go and watch just how different the rule interpretations were in the clubs win vs Melbourne earlier in the season as opposed to the rule interpretations in the wins late in the season. The AFL and the umpires moved the goal posts halfway through the year FFS yet the club needs to plan for the next 5-10? It is nigh on impossible.

I have coached, mentored, trained and led young men. My style no longer suits the younger generation. I am too harsh, too quick to anger and I never played at the top level. Most would also suggest I am too old even for a senior football department role let alone coach.

When I work in business and finance I work with men, not boys. Power, results and money talk, not bullshit and mollycoddling. Real time data and strategic analysis, listening more than speaking and reading people and their plays before or as they make them are my skills.

Clubs have a real issue and so does player development all the way from junior levels up. The AFL keeps changing the rules that what suits now or even in 3-4 years time may no longer be valid in the amount of time it takes to try and build a contending list. The WCE of 2018 are the only premiership team to really build a list without extensive help and it is getting harder and harder to do. On top of this the players have more and more control and the clubs less and less.

The club won a spoon and got pick 4 and 29. 26 was a supposed priority pick yet basically every club had either taken Darling off their boards or had overlooked him already and if it wasn't a compromised draft the club would have had pick 1 and 18 anyway.

It cost the club falling to pieces and 2 brownlow medallists still in their prime leaving to land key top tier talent in Kennedy and Nicnat. Shuey was a priority pick but without priority picks that still would have landed the club Shuey.

McGovern got to the club with an incredibly late pick despite freo being repeatedly badgered by scouts and his father to look at him seriously.

The club found a player that became elite at his role in Jetta in a trade that cost Callum Sinclair whom we rookied and had 1 pretty decent year.

It was almost a miracle in securing Redden who happened to go from average inside mid to elite finals player and from memory at the time was only the second non West Aussie that the eagles secured via trade in their prime.

The 2018 team stands as the only non Victorian team to beat an MCG tenant in the grand final without COLA this century. Even in doing so Collingwood held all the cards and whilst a win was secured I'm still of the belief that Buckley's half time changes and the decision to tag Yeo in the first half instead of Shuey was the decisive factor. It was so close that a boot stud back heel goal from Rioli or a 1 in 100 kick from Sheed after a 1 in 100 play secured the premiership depending on how you look at it. We had 3 key injuries yet at least 2 of their replacements played career best games and it's debatable on the third.

The above is to point out that the club can literally do everything better than the rest of the league for 5 years drafting, trading and developing yet in how compromised a position we sit, may still not be able to even challenge for a premiership with this list build.

These are harsh realities and both Pyke and Bell know it. The club will have secured it's next coach by the end of tomorrow yet unless they are ridiculously good and outperform any reasonable expectation they are likely just a placeholder. Let us just hope the decision hasn't been made on the basis that they aren't just the person who could best sugar coat shit.

I love the club, am very close to some of the players and management yet the game today and dealing with it's bullshit is becoming too much. Call me a cynic but unless serious changes in regards to fairness, equalisation and assistance come into place I'm not certain a WA side can win the premiership with all the hurdles in the way, particularly from how low a point the club is at now.

Literally go and watch just how different the rule interpretations were in the clubs win vs Melbourne earlier in the season as opposed to the rule interpretations in the wins late in the season. The AFL and the umpires moved the goal posts halfway through the year FFS yet the club needs to plan for the next 5-10? It is nigh on impossible.
I was trying to make a light hearted joke about a bigfooty run AFL club.
The actual nitty gritty is depressing.
Thanks ( I think...).for the insight.
All these little stories about our drafts from 15 years ago are also really neat.
Or maybe this is the biggest red Herring of all time.
I'm on to you!

Me after reading this...

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Ryan Maric (Pick 1, 2023 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back