List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Cameron Delaney - Rookie Draft selection no. 32

Remove this Banner Ad

When you put years of development in and senior spots are limited, you rookie them and hope they can leave the injuries behind. Every club does it and other clubs steer clear. Unwritten law.

Fair enough if North told him he was no longer required (something I'd highly doubt considering our list manager said on Friday we would be rookie listing him)
If it is an unwritten law I wonder why Geelong hasn't put it to the test with Daniel Menzel?

The reason is because it is too big a risk to assume other clubs will just sit on their hands when an opportunity presents itself.

It has been debated on this board for a couple of years and the general consensus is it isn't worth the possible loss of a talented player.

I hear where you are coming from but since we've made a practice of keeping injuried players on our senior list rather than trying to re-rookie them (Lonergan being the main exception but, you know, he did almost die) your protestations will pretty much fall on deaf ears.

Menzel
Cowan
Vardy

Those are 3 current examples of long term, injured players that we could have tried the tactic with.

On top of that, we don't actually know if the two clubs hadn't discussed Delaney in the lead up to the rookie draft.

As I said earlier, considering the two coaches it isn't outlandish to assume something may have happened between last Friday and today.

Why was Delaney delisted off the list in the first place, especially when under contract?

Perhaps that is a better question to pose to your club if you believe you have lost a good player.

I'm sure you'd be having the same view if the roles were reversed.

Anyway as you were.
They were all those years ago when we were about to select Thompson until Nth jumped the queue.

give the club the opportunity to get the best available rookie option (that wasn't previously listed by us).

no other club picked their own previously listed players in the first round, that usually happens in the 3rd, 4th and 5th round of the rookie draft.

So as part of the agreement North not only want every other club to pass on a particular player, but also want the chance to take the best available with their first pick? Talk about greedy. You had the chance to take him with your first pick and passed if up. Expecting a gentleman's agreement to let him last to your first pick is one thing, expecting us to let him last till your last pick is being very greedy.

Does anyone know the current status of his injury? The fact that North were prepared to delist him would suggest he's not exactly ripping it up on the track right now.
According to The Age article at the end of October there must still be a risk.

...Fairfax Mediaunderstands that Delaney - now a free agent - would be likely to accept deal from another club, but that the significant medical risk attached to him could act as a deterrent.

The fact North elevated Tippett and drafted Durdin and Nielson might also point to the fact he is an on-going concern.

I'll assume we did some due diligence before selecting him.

...Fairfax Mediaunderstands that Delaney - now a free agent - would be likely to accept deal from another club, but that the significant medical risk attached to him could act as a deterrent.

The fact North elevated Tippett and drafted Durdin and Nielson might also point to the fact he is an on-going concern.

We can only hope that we at least saw his medical report.

We can only hope that we at least saw his medical report.
Perhaps Brad told Chris "yeah mate, Cam's fine. Good to go. Just like H-Mac." :D

Or should that be :eek: ??

You'd hope so. We mustn't rate the North medical staff down at Geelong. We were happy to take a banged up McIntosh thinking we could rebuild him.

You'd hope so. We mustn't rate the North medical staff down at Geelong. We were happy to take a banged up McIntosh thinking we could rebuild him.
Question is, did we or didn't we learn from that??

Tend to agree vinum coupe
Also - wasn't Cockatoo training with North ? Chris is seriously testing the sibling bond as I'm sure the Roos would have seen his potential if so.

Eh, I don't think there's any problem with the Cockatoo thing at all. The national draft is entirely a free-for-all. There's no reason to pass on the guy you want just because he's been training with another club. No club would do that for us, so we shouldn't be expected to do the same for them. Obviously, there's more room for agreements and understandings amongst clubs when it comes to drafting players as rookie, especially when former players are being re-drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

give the club the opportunity to get the best available rookie option (that wasn't previously listed by us).

no other club picked their own previously listed players in the first round, that usually happens in the 3rd, 4th and 5th round of the rookie draft.
Isn't that draft tampering?

Makes a nice change from being bent over every trade period with getting poor picks
Couldn't disagree more but meh we'll find out how things turn out next season...

So as part of the agreement North not only want every other club to pass on a particular player, but also want the chance to take the best available with their first pick? Talk about greedy. You had the chance to take him with your first pick and passed if up. Expecting a gentleman's agreement to let him last to your first pick is one thing, expecting us to let him last till your last pick is being very greedy.

And that's the other part of it. You could easily rort such a system with a player that you fully expect will be fine for the start of the next season, stash him on the rookie list and get another senior spot to use. As far as I'm concerned, it should come down entirely to whether the player is receptive to a change of clubs, or whether he wants to stay.

I honestly thought the whole reason we haven't done the same thing with Josh Cowan was because there was no such 'agreement' in place. Because I'm buggered if I know why he's still on the senior list otherwise.

There is an agreement, we didn't invoke it. If he wasn't contracted for 2015 he probably would have been de-listed. He has talent but he is always injured, if it is not something major, which he has currently, it is numerous minor incidents which keep him off the park. We told him we would rookie him for his last year of his contract if nobody else took him, but were happy someone else decided to take him.

If he can get over the horrible run of injuries he will make a very good footballer, but he has been in the system a fair while and physically he is a long way off where he should be, just not sure his body can withstand AFL training let alone football. I wish him the best, if he can get over his issues, put on some weight and remain injury free I think he has a lot to offer. As a rookie, not the biggest risk in the world.

Last edited:
Eh, I don't think there's any problem with the Cockatoo thing at all. The national draft is entirely a free-for-all. There's no reason to pass on the guy you want just because he's been training with another club. No club would do that for us, so we shouldn't be expected to do the same for them. Obviously, there's more room for agreements and understandings amongst clubs when it comes to drafting players as rookie, especially when former players are being re-drafted.

Fair call Biggy_Boy
I wasn't inferring anything improper about the Cockatoo pick , just amused that lightning seemed to strike twice.....first Cockatoo then Delaney.
Maybe the twins think too much alike ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Cameron Delaney - Rookie Draft selection no. 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Back