Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

You're forgetting he's a Father-Son pick which generally don't go very high due to discounts etc. I just had a quick look at the stats and in the history of Father-Son picks with the modern draft system, only 6 have been in the top 10 (Sam Darcy, Will Ashcroft, Nick Daicos, Luke McDonald, Darcy Moore, Joe Daniher).

That and considering he only seriously took up footy 18 months ago as TheFourPillars stated above, it's perfectly understandable why he was such a late pick.
Tbf he wasn't quite a normal father son pick. We just pulled the trigger on him, didn't try and get him as low as possible by just matching a bid.
Wouldn't mind knowing the stats actually on how many of the father sons are picked up without a bid by another team

This is Calsher and Jed Walter compared. Full disclosure, Walter was my favourite player from the draft and the guy that I would have taken if we got free pick at anyone outside Reid.

The things I really liked about Walter - his ground game, marking, pressure - Calsher is arguably doing all of those things better.

I can't speak to the ceilings that each of these guys will reach, but at this stage Calsher is killing it - and with the benefit of being further away from the finished product.

1718579499427.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is Calsher and Jed Walter compared. Full disclosure, Walter was my favourite player from the draft and the guy that I would have taken if we got free pick at anyone outside Reid.

The things I really liked about Walter - his ground game, marking, pressure - Calsher is arguably doing all of those things better.

I can't speak to the ceilings that each of these guys will reach, but at this stage Calsher is killing it - and with the benefit of being further away from the finished product.

View attachment 2022101

I expected to like Walter a lot more than I actually am....
Think he's looking stiff'ish when looking for the ball along the ground, not overly twitchy, not tracking it amazing, a little heavy across the ground and in the air.
Really thought he might transition almost immediately.
Dear however is none of those things.
He's bendy, twitchy, tracks it really well through the air and as it bounces across the grass, effortless in getting up high for a grab.
Love him, no idea what the ceiling is, but love him.

He was also directly responsible for Dukes left foot snap goal, came from behind and with one deft hand caused the ball to spill....

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not Duke’s thread but the fact that he one hand, one touch held that off hands is phenomenal. Blokes been bitten by a radioactive spider.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back