Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, he’s going to be a star. In year 1, I imagine we just want him to show something which he has in spades. Next year, it’ll be about turning those 7 possession, 2 shots on goal p/g into 12 possession, 3 shot games - all which improving his tackling intensity up front.
He's already averaging 2.7 shots btw

Ben King had a pretty good 1st year from memory, Schache's first year may have even been his best. Darling had the best rookie season I've seen from a key forward in recent years, at least for one who didn't miss a year or debut as a mature age.

Even Jack Riewoldt who hit his peak really early didn't have as good a first year as Calsher seems to be.

The one thing that he's working through that those guys weren't, was just how raw he was going into his first season.

He's taken some big marks against super quality players pretty much every week. He's been the target down the line and up forward in a team that often couldn't buy contested marks when attacking. Those other high level talls who have impacted early at least had some support. Calsher has arguably elevated the senior players around him.

Commentators were talking about an 'accidental screen' when he marked on the competition's best defender in Taylor close to goal this week.

But I call bullshit on it being an accident.

Calsher's shown a real knack to stay away from the drop zone and get separation from his stronger/more mature bodied opponents enough to get a launch at the ball, for weeks now. He was never really outbodied against AFL backs in the VFL either.

Even if he doesn't have King's first season, or Darling's (who had support in a strong side), I could not believe what I saw when I started watching Box Hill early to see what he was going to be like. He looked every inch a raw top 5 pick level key forward.

If Calsher fixed nothing else but his kicking at goal, based on current output we'd still wind up a 3/4 goal a game key forward, which would obviously be elite. Right now he's otherwise learning the game at an elite level in every direction.

Last edited:
Done a lot of work with Gunners, he may be the heir apparent to the #19?
I'm warming to idea, it would be a way to forge his own way with his own number. But I can't help but want to see him in 13. :)

Whatever number the club/he/Moore(if it comes to that) choose going forward I'd be happy with.

The one thing that he's working through that those guys weren't, was just how raw he was going into his first season.

He's taken some big marks against super quality players pretty much every week. He's been the target down the line and up forward in a team that often couldn't buy contested marks when attacking. Those other high level talls who have impacted early at least had some support. Calsher has arguably elevated the senior players around him.

Commentators were talking about an 'accidental screen' when he marked on the competition's best defender in Taylor close to goal this week.

But I call bullshit on it being an accident.

Calsher's shown a real knack to stay away from the drop zone and get separation from his stronger/more mature bodied opponents enough to get a launch at the ball, for weeks now. He was never really outbodied against AFL backs in the VFL either.

Even if he doesn't have King's first season, or Darling's (who had support in a strong side), I could not believe what I saw when I started watching Box Hill early to see what he was going to be like. He looked every inch a raw top 5 pick level key forward.

If Calsher fixed nothing else but his kicking at goal, based on current output we'd still wind up a 3/4 goal a game key forward, which would obviously be elite. Right now he's otherwise learning the game at an elite level in every direction pretty much.
I agree, don't get me wrong, I think it's telling that the only players I could find were both much more physically developed and/or early picks. In Darling's case an early pick who slid a mile because of some mischief.

I don't remember the last time a player who looked this physically unready was able to impact a game so physically in such a hard role. He's a very impressive young man.

Jye amiss had a pretty big first year kicking 40. Before he kicked a few against melbourne last week I compared stats and dear had identical averages.

He played 3 games for 4 goals in his first AFL season.

This' the incredible thing about Dear - he played stuff all footy prior to being drafted. And in his debut year proper, he's holding his place in the team and making our side better.

He played 3 games for 4 goals in his first AFL season.

This' the incredible thing about Dear - he played stuff all footy prior to being drafted. And in his debut year proper, he's holding his place in the team and making our side better.

Yep ny bad , I meant his second season. I think amiss was injured for most of his first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait... does this... does... does this mean we finally get a father son that is actually going to be a gun? We still have Will McCabe to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back