Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be called, number 2, because he is the second coming. What a star!

The Simpsons Flirting GIF

It's nice we've ended up with the two best. But I'd have Calsh at #1 and Wizz at #2 ;)

To be fair, if the last month is his ceiling - but he delivers it consistently for the next 10 yeas - I'll be bloody happy.

60 goals a year for 10 years would be phenomenal.

BUt for now, he was so good. Dogs tall defenders were their best players last night too.

Early on i was a bit worried he might be similar to a Harrison Jones style player where he had a good leap but not much more. I think it is most pleasing to see his awareness and confidence grow and impact when the ball is on the ground. Had some great handballs that put players into space again, chased well. I also appreciate how keen he is to get to his teammates to congratulate them. His is the anti-key forward.

I remember watching him in the Coates league grand final last year where i think there was three standouts, Sanders, Watson and Dear. He looked to be everywhere, including the ruck and every touch counted. He looked big amongst the kids. He will look big amongst the men in a couple of years.

If the story of this season is running on a Hawthorn script then I'm expecting a Norm Smith medal in this kid's immediate future. What an incredible rise.
I love that after the game he said something along the lines of "I was wondering if I was like my dad and was a big finals performer"

He is such a gun it's unbelievable.

I wonder if he has much ego at all? All his interviews he seems very modest. His first interview as a draftee after Watson and McCabe said their goal was to break into the side and felt they were ready to have an immediate impact.

Calsher said "I'm probably more of a project player, need to bulk up a bit" mentioned that he was nervous but Mitch Lewis had reassured him that he had the same skinny build walking into the club.

That mark and goal on the boundary was just pure class.

But class gets you only so far. Calsh also has this amazing work ethic where he keeps fronting up time and time again. In his first few games this season he had no tank at all, and after a few efforts he was blowing an absolute gale. But the next time the ball was in his area he'd attack it with ferocity and do his best to bring it to ground. He'd then gasp for air again for a bit, then reload and go right in again.

If he can mark, he will. If he can't, he'll bring it to ground. He chases, he tackles and he pushes himself for the players around him.

He mixes class with this indomitable will to get involved in every contest he can. That ground kick off the boundary line followed up with the following deft soccer into goal - how many KPFs can do that?

He is steeped in the history of this club. He's absorbed it his entire life. The poignancy of this means so much to him and his family, but also the rest of us watching on.

Footy can be a head**** on occasions. But it's times like this where you are reminded about how much it connects between cultures and generations, and - far out - how good is it to watch this narrative unfold?!

I bloody love this club.

I love that after the game he said something along the lines of "I was wondering if I was like my dad and was a big finals performer"

He is such a gun it's unbelievable.

I wonder if he has much ego at all? All his interviews he seems very modest. His first interview as a draftee after Watson and McCabe said their goal was to break into the side and felt they were ready to have an immediate impact.

Calsher said "I'm probably more of a project player, need to bulk up a bit" mentioned that he was nervous but Mitch Lewis had reassured him that he had the same skinny build walking into the club.

All his behaviour on field points to truly modest. I really appreciate it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All his behaviour on field points to truly modest. I really appreciate it.
He's modest and hard working but he's just got so much confidence. Even in his first game 5 minutes in to just launch and take a pack mark. So many players get the yips on the big stage or don't have the confidence to just grab it when you get 2 hands to it.

You just can’t do this as a first year kpf 😭😭

He's been doing it all year too, since his first few Box Hill games.

It's unreal how good he is, the number of scoring shots he has per game is going to approach Franklinesque levels before he's done.

Just turns dog poop into gold every week - a steal, spin and snap in a contest 30 meters out; a cross and strike that starts on the boundary and ends up between the sticks; a tap back to himself in the square; a ball tapped and plucked out of a pile of players on the ground.

On and on it goes.

Seven scoring shots in a final is typically reserved for champions of the game and players who have established legacies already...
This kid is something different.

I know we had access to him through father son, but he wasn't spoken about as anything other than a rookie option by other clubs.
Our ability to find and maximise our juniors potential is insane.

if you want an extreme example of Dears’s mentor - student arrangement with Gunston watch McDonald’s goal at the start of the 3rd. Gunston actually gives Calsher a gentle shove into the two dogs defenders competing for the footy. It causes the spill to go right to watson, boundary side. Don’t think I’ve noticed anything like that before

if you want an extreme example of Dears’s mentor - student arrangement with Gunston watch McDonald’s goal at the start of the 3rd. Gunston actually gives Calsher a gentle shove into the two dogs defenders competing for the footy. It causes the spill to go right to watson, boundary side. Don’t think I’ve noticed anything like that before
I saw that! Caught me off-guard and I actually went back to slow-mo the action to check I saw it correctly.

It was a very deliberate push by Gunston - In that situation Dear needed to crash the pack, but instead had positioned to jump across the front and was either going to mark or (more likely, he does it a lot when out of position) - spoil over the line.

Not that it needs to be justified but Dear wasn't even slightly out when he controlled that Mark.

I'm not sure 50% of footy fans (or commentators) can perceive of there being 3 dimensions. They just see it outside the line on the big screen and think it must be out as though the ball was lying on the ground.

1000006777.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back