Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Announces retirement (2 Sept 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Watson was better. Ward was better.
Because the lift he’ll give this group given the injury…. Given his commitment to the club… and the clubs investment in him… that reward will bring an energy.. Wardy and Wiz will get “their lick of the icecream”.
Wizz kicking bags, enjoying himself… regaining composure with less pressure/spotlihht will absolutely continue to help him mature.
Wardy needs a midfield spot to open up… or completely smash the door down.

People easily forget how good Wingard is.

Don't worry about selection.
If he is fit and in form, he will play.

I agree with you but whose spot does he take, as I feel his spot has been taken by Ginni, MacDonald , Moore and Mitchell like Breust as his sub.

And on current form none of those guys are getting dropped, we also need to find a way to bring Watson in also.

I agree with you but whose spot does he take, as I feel his spot has been taken by Ginni, MacDonald , Moore and Mitchell like Breust as his sub.

And on current form none of those guys are getting dropped, we also need to find a way to bring Watson in also.
There are always ins/outs, injuries, form slumps, fatigue etc.
There will be a spot for Wingard.

How does Chad’s pace and agility look since coming back from injury?

I’ve only seen a few patches of Sunday’s game and couldn’t really tell. I reckon this will determine if/when he gets back in the team - there’s no question his skill and smarts are up there with the best.

People easily forget how good Wingard is.

Don't worry about selection.
If he is fit and in form, he will play.

Elevates the whole team when he's playing well. It's contagious too, the forward line looks a whole lot better with a fit Chad in.

Plus, he's torn games open in our direction as a midfielder with clearance work when required.
Granted that might take time given his injury, and it's a break glass when needed type proposition.

But seems a no brainer that we get him in if he's fit and ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that Chad has earned the right to get back in the 1's and prove himself. When and who he displaces is a different discussion.

But at this stage of his career he has a mountain to climb to be more than a bit part player. Ginni, Wiz, Moore and Croc are all young and improving.

Realistically Chad has only had a middling career to date at the Hawks. It's hard to see he can come back as an improved player. Sometimes a player's absence can improve their reputation.

Having said all this i really hope he can have a late career surge. He is one of my favourites at the club. Comes across as such a humble genuine guy. And 5 mins of peak Chad can still win a final ...

I agree that Chad has earned the right to get back in the 1's and prove himself. When and who he displaces is a different discussion.

But at this stage of his career he has a mountain to climb to be more than a bit part player. Ginni, Wiz, Moore and Croc are all young and improving.

Realistically Chad has only had a middling career to date at the Hawks. It's hard to see he can come back as an improved player. Sometimes a player's absence can improve their reputation.

Having said all this i really hope he can have a late career surge. He is one of my favourites at the club. Comes across as such a humble genuine guy. And 5 mins of peak Chad can still win a final ...
If I recall correctly he was at the best he'd ever been at Hawthorn (over a sustained period) when he got injured. So we don't need him to come back improved, just pick up where he left off.

If I recall correctly he was at the best he'd ever been at Hawthorn (over a sustained period) when he got injured. So we don't need him to come back improved, just pick up where he left off.
He definitely wasn't at the peak he set in 2021 when he was playing midfield and getting 30 posession games regularly.

He started 2023 very slowly but after getting dropped he was playing some handy footy once he got back in the side (before he did his Achilles).

The question I have is what position he plays. For me his best footy at the Hawks has been in the middle but that might be asking for trouble given his age and history with soft tissues.

But in the other hand given where he is in his career and age we may as well throw him in there and see what happens as he's probably just as likely to break down again playing forward pocket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Announces retirement (2 Sept 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back