Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

I rarely see his opponent mark it
True but still I feel like having a legit 6 foot 6 midfielder you are wasting their athletic gifts somewhat if they aren't taking marks around the ground.

Ricky Henderson was great when played on the wing for us at being that tallish midfielder who I'm pretty sure actually lead the league in marks one year?

But the funny thing about Nash is that his traits (good ground ball gets, good hands in tight, hard at the contest, good defensive pressure) are more the trademarks of a nuggety 6 foot midfielder than the 6 foot 6 athlete that he is.

True but still I feel like having a legit 6 foot 6 midfielder you are wasting their athletic gifts somewhat if they aren't taking marks around the ground.

Ricky Henderson was great when played on the wing for us at being that tallish midfielder who I'm pretty sure actually lead the league in marks one year?

But the funny thing about Nash is that his traits (good ground ball gets, good hands in tight, hard at the contest, good defensive pressure) are more the trademarks of a nuggety 6 foot midfielder than the 6 foot 6 athlete that he is.
The funny part about Nash is just as you said he is a bit of an anomaly, in saying that we have to remember his only played the game for about 7 years and turns 26 this year. Prime time for a big man technically but reckon that is around 28 and above for Nash because his still growing in the game.

If his kicking and marking continue to improve as they are just rounds out his game and continues to support our midfield growth. Nash is so valuable for team balance amongst just his midfield time.

What happened to all the posts calling for an end to the Irish experiment? I almost miss them.
And the best 22 teams that have him playing at box hill until the cab picks him up for the airport.

Give it a couple of not so great games and some will be demanding he is dropped
Trouble is, the not so great games on the stats sheet are typically the ones where he's had the biggest affect on the result. Taking out the Bontempeli type players is something only someone with Nash's size, speed and tank could do.

He's not winning as much of the ball this season.
Anybody noticed why?
All of our mids are down in overall possessions this season.

Nash 24 to 18
Newc 25 to 22
Day 25 to 20
Worps 26 to 20

Can't argue with the results tbh, we're better overall.

All of our mids are down in overall possessions this season.

Nash 24 to 18
Newc 25 to 22
Day 25 to 20
Worps 26 to 20

Can't argue with the results tbh, we're better overall.
We're getting a better balance of players through the middle (Mackenzie and Moore mainly); our overall disposals per game are down about 15%; yet we are far more efficient.

We're not over-possessing as much, we are more direct and offensive with handball releases and our kicking game is much quicker than in 23.

Nash and Worps were two that often got caught up in the 'ring a rosy' and then boot it long to escape - we have better support pieces this year, and I dare say their effectiveness ratings are actually UP.

He's not winning as much of the ball this season.
Anybody noticed why?
As mentioned all the mids are down. Nash has also played as the 2nd ruck a lot more around the ground

If we were to compare our current team to the 3peat years then Conor Nash is our Brad Sewell… just Nash is much bigger.

Like Sewell, Nash is not the most skilled player on the field but he is 100% team oriented. He is not a full stopper but he generally wins his matchup.

I have come to realise that Conor Nash, for all of his height, will never be a mid that goes fwd to take a mark. He is no Bont. But he can be an anti-Bont = stopping Bont from taking that mark.

Put our new mids in Ward, McKenzie or McDonald against Bont and they will be slaughtered if he Bont takes them to his fwd line. Day may have the smarts but Warps would be fodder as well. Only Nash can deal with people like the Bont … or the future Harley, or a released Mark Blicavs.

Conor Nash is 100% in our next premiership team because he is unique while also being valuable. He is a moneyball player = he helps create wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back