Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Denver Grainger-Barras (15 disposals, nine marks, four intercept possessions)

"It was a really quiet first half for Denver but I loved his leadership and how he responded in the second half. He really set himself up after a disappointing performance the week before. He ultimately defended the ground really well and played the whole second half, he didn’t come off the ground. It was really positive for Denver to be able to play that role because at AFL level, there are a lot of defenders who don’t come off the ground. But ultimately, we want to make sure we can continue to burst Denver so he can play his exciting, intercepting type of game, but also defend really solidly when it's his turn.”

A year with a trigger clause sounds about right to me. I am on the record as saying DGB is probably a bust but I don't think you rush to show the door to this kind of player. We were very patient with TOB, who was ultimately a bust, but I think we took the right approach and should be similarly patient with DGB. IMO the odds favour a bust but there is still a reasonable prospect he will make it. If he does, there pay off will be substantial.

Fake tough guy shit needs to stop, it’s costing goals every week and will become one of the reasons it ends up being some other teams problem. Courage and hardness is great, just stop being an idiot. I still believe that there is a player in there.

Fake tough guy shit needs to stop, it’s costing goals every week and will become one of the reasons it ends up being some other teams problem. Courage and hardness is great, just stop being an idiot. I still believe that there is a player in there.
I’m over it too.

It’s been a tough start to his career for Denver. A combination of no endurance / needing to add 15kg of muscle to compete at the top level is coming from a fair way back. Throw in a few injuries and he hasn’t had the best run at it.
Unfortunately the game doesn’t stop for anyone. List spots are getting tight.
Might be a Dylan Moore situation where he ends up with the last spot on the list for 2025. This next pre season could be make it or break it for Denver

It's been over since he got injured.
We're just playing out time now.
He can prove himself back home in the WAFL and maybe Freo/WCE will give him another shot when he is +25.

He's behind 6 KPDs at Hawthorn, not including Scrimshaw.
Sicily, Frost, Blanck, Serong, MacCabe, Phillips.
He's done.

Can guarantee he wont be picked in the seniors anytime soon whilst he keeps that kind of behaviour going.

What I don't get is I can almost understand the odd brain snap in the heat of the moment but he is going out from the first bounce with the intent to act tough and go the niggle which is quite simply not the action of a modern day AFL level footballer.

The last time I saw one of our players act like that was Stratts last couple of years when he was in terminal decline (pinchgate, etc) and it was embarrassing to watch then as well.

Can guarantee he wont be picked in the seniors anytime soon whilst he keeps that kind of behaviour going.

What I don't get is I can almost understand the odd brain snap in the heat of the moment but he is going out from the first bounce with the intent to act tough and go the niggle which is quite simply not the action of a modern day AFL level footballer.

The last time I saw one of our players act like that was Stratts last couple of years when he was in terminal decline (pinchgate, etc) and it was embarrassing to watch then as well.
Yes - it is the conduct of a player who has lost confidence and is not enjoying his footy. Aggression at the contest has always been a part of his game but niggling makes no sense at all when he just needs to win his own ball and show that he is better than VFL standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Denver is settled here. He doesn't want to go back home He has bought a house with his gf. So going back to the wafl won't be a thing. He had a better second half. Just as an aside he was targetted by the port forwards especially Gowers. Pushing shoving scraggling him. It was a perfect day for it. No doubt he has brought it upon himself as he is a bit of a hot head but it is what it is.

Growing pains and the frustration of wanting to be better.

He needs to grow up and he needed to do it over a season ago.

Acting like a child whilst toiling away in the VFL isn't going to get him into the senior team, ever. His ability in the air, his desperation and his skills are up to it, but the rest of his game isn't. Scrimshaw has comfortably taken his potential role in the side, and Weddle in a phenom, so he's not going to get a chance over either of them anytime soon.

If we sign Battle then he's done. Just how will he get into the side?

His situation is eerily similar to Sicily. Everyone was calling for him to be delisted. Every man and his dog said he was no good. Fake hard man. Not up to it.

2025 will be his year. I honestly believe this

I agree with the Sicily comparison and would hope that he is getting help in this area. The fear for his future is real though. Most players that display these characteristics tend to do it out of insecurity and IMO, most don't make it. The simple question he should be asking himself every minute is whether he wants to succeed or not. And what he needs to do or change to get there. Doesn't seem like much is changing. I saw him in last year's VFL finals. Could not get a touch but threw his weight around like he'd kicked 10 goals. That's pretty delusional.

His situation is eerily similar to Sicily. Everyone was calling for him to be delisted. Every man and his dog said he was no good. Fake hard man. Not up to it.

Not sure that this comparison is completely correct.

Even back when Sic had his issues with his temper he was still playing some good footy and he backed up his antics with his ability. Sics real issue was we were playing him as a forward when he is a natural backline player.

Also I never really saw Sic go out and from the first bounce start to push and shove and niggle, his brain farts were more spur of the moment stuff.

DGB reminds me more of Stratts in his last couple of years when he knew he couldn't match his opponent on ability so he resorted to rubbish like pinching, etc.

That tells me of a guy who is struggling big time with his self belief. He should just flat out forget about the niggle for now and just go out and beat his player purely on ability (which he should do given he is a top ten pick playing VFL).

Agree with your overall point but nobody wanted Sicily delisted, let alone 4 years in. He was being talked about as an All Australian midway through his 4th season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back